What's new
What's new

Moving a 3000pound hammer

Gazz

Stainless
I am buying a forging hammer that is currently in North Carolina and I am in New Hampshire. I have contacted several machinery movers in the NC area to get quotes but nobody is anxious to reply or simply states that they will not travel that far. I am beginning to think that I'll have to go there and rent a truck and bring it home myself but would prefer to get it hauled. The current owner can load it and I can arrange something to unload here. Anybody have any recommendations on who I could contact?

Sounds like an adventure, I wish I lived close, I’d help.
rent a low flat trailer and buy 4 two inch ratchet straps. What have you got for a pull vehicle?
There are small time truckers like U Ship but you have a Cowboy hostling your machine with a bargain out fit . Pro truckers will $$$$.
Trailer is your best bet, take a buddy, you will talk about it for years. Good luck

Check with Pedawitz first.

Carl @ 417-217-0828
Ray @ 917-939-2975

They home base out of NJ and have trucks everywhere.

Neither of these guys may be the one that you need to talk to, but they can refer you.
Carl is most likely candidate tho.

------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

I have a 2004 Suburban and I do have 5ton tilt bed trailer but really don't want to make the 13 hour drive each way. I'm also not sure if it is legal for me to pull that trailer with my puny Suburban.

What kind of hammer did you get? That sounds awesome. If it is only 3000 lbs then almost the smallest flatbed trailer you can rent will do it. Can you call u haul or other rental anywhere near the hammer that will rent a one way trip so you only tow it on the way back?

You can look up your tow rating, it is 5000 for sure at least. 3000# machine and a trailer under 2000# and you’re set. You may need a trailer lighter than yours ?A 3k rated trailer would fit under max weight.
The miles are what you make of them.

JLG makes a smaller drop deck trailer with only 2 wheels rated at 4500 pounds payload around 6x10. I have one of those and moved my whole shop with it, including a couple lathes in the 3000-4000 pound range. Sunbelt rents those.

I pulled it with a one ton dually and it was sweet, no issues at all. I think that trailer is about 1800 pounds, the bigger 2 axle one is more, of course. I had a 100 mile drive, but wouldn't hesitate for something longer.

I have a 2004 Suburban and I do have 5ton tilt bed trailer but really don't want to make the 13 hour drive each way. I'm also not sure if it is legal for me to pull that trailer with my puny Suburban.

Your Suburban can easily pull a 1,000 lb. trailer with a 3,000 lb machine on it. Piece of cake. I pulled a 10,000 lb travel trailer with an Expedition with no problems. If the seller can load and supervise tie down then Uship is likely your cheapest option.

Your Suburban can easily pull a 1,000 lb. trailer with a 3,000 lb machine on it. Piece of cake. I pulled a 10,000 lb travel trailer with an Expedition with no problems. If the seller can load and supervise tie down then Uship is likely your cheapest option.
+1 for Uship

I sure wouldn’t trust someone else, sight unseen, to load a hammer
first, is it a one piece or a two piece?
at that weight, which is pretty small for a hammer, it could be either.
I have a3500 lb 2 piece anyang- that means there is a 1300 lb anvil, and a 2200 pound hammer. I have moved it in two trips in my F150, no problems. But I transport the hammer lying down.
in my case, we had forklifts at both ends.
long haul, I usually would use a freight broker to book me space on a flatbed for something like this, and have it laid down, but it depends on the hammer.
most are tall and can tip over, but depends on make and anvil weight and configuration.

Size is roughly 4'x2'x4' tall - not very big. The hammer is an Anyang with a 40kilo ram or tup and is one piece. It has fork slots in it and there is a fork truck onsite that can handle it and would be loaded by my friend who I have 100% trust in. I think it could ride upright if properly strapped down. I had bid on a similar size Reiter last year at a near local auction but dropped out at around $8k (plus 18% buyers penalty) thinking it was a more than I really wanted to spend on something more than 20 years old and no longer made. I did get one quote of $2300 and have received a number of quotes through Uship for around $1250 which is attractive. I would need to vet out each individual shipper though before I chose one. I'm hoping to get it moved sometime early next month but have lots to do before as there is no place in the shop I can put it. I do have a small barn that would be ideal for a hot shop but will have to clean it out first and get some electric in it. The electrician is coming to take a look at it today. I'm also healing up after a surprise visit to the hospital for a gallbladder removal and umbilical hernia repair so moving stuff has some risk. The offer of the hammer also came as a surprise after talking to the owner last year who gave me first refusal when he decided to sell. Sometimes timing is wrong!

Last edited:
Mine is also an 88lb / 40 kilo, but it is one of the rare 2 piece hammers, which is why it weighs more. Its a good hammer, you will like it. Mine hits a bit harder, due to the bigger anvil, but its basically the same. I would worry about it falling over if it was just strapped to a flatbed with a couple of 2" straps- its not top heavy, exactly, but its tall enough and heavy enough on a small base that it can easily fall over, which you dont want. Mine is taller than that, but thats because the two piece anvil goes down over a foot below the base- it was meant to be below floor level. In my case, I built a steel box for the anvil, and that elevated the dies to what for me is a better working height.

Probably your best option would be if the seller would bolt it to a heavy wood pallet, and then you ship it via LTL. That way it will be inside an enclosed van, and you'll have lots of options as to shippers. Due to it's low weight and small size you should be fine with LTL. R&L Carriers does a lot of shipping up and down the east coast, so they would be an option.

I use freight forwarders for my sawmill business, as their rates are typically much less than going directly to a carrier. If you are friends with any local businesses that ship via LTL, see if you can get them to get you a quote.

I would rent a truck from enterprise, a late model 3/4T diesel is something like $150/day last time I rented one.

I would rather have the hammer shipped on a flat deck than a van trailer. Unless it’s in a crate the LTL guys will break every handle and lever off.

I would rent a truck from enterprise, a late model 3/4T diesel is something like $150/day last time I rented one.

I would rather have the hammer shipped on a flat deck than a van trailer. Unless it’s in a crate the LTL guys will break every handle and lever off.
I rented Ford F550 stakebeds from Enterprise. Easiest and safest way to move stuff.

Back