What's new
What's new

Moving an Okamoto Linear PFG-618

DaveK

Plastic
I am moving a new to me PFG-618 (1989 ish vintage) tomorrow. Does anyone have a manual for this grinder that could pass on the moving/lifting instructions? Looking to sling it if possible.

I ordered a PDF manual yesterday and still haven’t received it.

I’ll be taking the table off, of course. Probably lower/block the head?

Many thanks,
Dave

Sounds like you've got the basics (table off if it's roller, block head under spindle housing). If you're slinging it lift from the bottom. On my B&S they have cast in slots for a forklift. Some have holes in the base to slide steel rods through for slinging. In some cases it might be good to use wood blocking, rope and/or ratchet straps to keep the lifting slings well positioned since the CofG may be wonky when lifting from bottom.

Last edited:
I like to put balls in egg cartons and return them to about the same area/place.
Down on wood set blocking the wheel head to take the head weight off the down screw is important.
Wrap to keep road grit out of the works is a good idea..and it saves anything that might fall off the machine.
My buddy Donnie bought one new and it was a very nice machine.
I like to add a strip of masking tape to overlap the parting line between the long table and the next area so as to be a grit block for abrasives that bounce off the column area. stick to the topside and a little oil at the lower so no stick there. Painted it will last for years.
Also, I like to check how tight the chuck is by losing the hold downs and being sure they are not over 20 foot Lbs tight...you don't take the chuck off with this test.
If you intend to grind the chuck, ask here about that if you are not experienced.
Still, slow down for RR tracks and possible hard road bumps.

Last edited:
Thanks, guys. Wasn’t sure about sling points because the casting doesn’t have holes for bars slings or whatnot.

The egg carton is a great idea. I was trying to come up with a way to keep the balls organized in case it mattered.

I’m excited about the machine. I had a Delta Rockwell toolmaker grinder for many years but this is a quantum leap from that! I will definitely be back for more advice once it’s home.

Tape the numbered cartons closed, you might number the balls.
A safety rope doesn't hurt when moving it. A 1/2" or better nylon rope not going over any sharp edges makes a good extra safety device.
It's about 2,000 pounds with the chuck and also runs fine with 7" wheels

Last edited:
That machine comes with 4 eye bolts that screw into the base front and rear for strap lifting.
Saddle lock on the left side with pinch plate on the saddle.. Ball rollers are captured in phenolic strips -- just make note of length( they are different)
front one to the rear one.

The machine was moved safely and it’s in its new home on my floor. Been cleaning everything I can get to while the table is off.

Thank you all for the helpful advice!

While you are at it, lift the vertical column cover by removing two screws from the sheet metal and replace the wicks that lube both sides of the guide system.
Okamoto USA does not stock the proper wicks that should be used. Buy felt rope of appropriate diameter and make your own.

Back