What's new
What's new

Moving and securing an HLV-H clone

jccaclimber

Stainless
I’ve moved a couple Bridgeports and a 15x50 lathe so I’m somewhat familiar with moving objects of that weight and not tipping over top heavy objects. I’m likely going to be moving a Sharp 1118H, an HLV-H clone, in a few weeks. It’s a bit narrower than the 15x50 and just as tall, so I’d like to make sure I’m not missing anything obvious.

The current plan is to follow the rigging directions in the manual (straps under the chip pan ends, NOT under the bed) to lift it onto a set of 4x4s, and bolt to those so it is wider decreasing the usual tipping risk. I’ll put the 4x4s on some long boards, and use pipes to get it on a drop deck trailer. I’ll have the carriage at the tailstock end to move a bit of weight that way.

I’m used to wrapping straps through the ways on a lathe and can’t on this. Should I strap (padded with cardboard) over the ways, or under them but over the chip pan?

I saw something about not lifting by a bar through the headstock, so will that away from the spindle when strapping down. Will put the headstock end toward the rear of the trailer so I can run a strap around it for braking loads.

I won’t have a hoist to get it off the pallet at the end of this and noted that the cabinet may be damaged by lifting from beneath. I’m told there are reinforced points at the bottom, but haven’t inspected it myself. I’m assuming that a spud bar right where the feet are would work, but will use my eyeballs and brain.

Any advice or things I’m missing? Should I move this to the Bridgeport and Hardinge sub forum?

super simple.
engine hoist, pick up. place on pallet and bolt down throw strap over bed. wont hurt anything.
use hoist to unload at other end also. or even easier if there is a forklift.

Those are helpful, thank you, move date for the machine got pushed out a bit so I haven't done it yet. Did you use the holes where the machine feet normally go to secure it to the pallet, or a different method?

Those are helpful, thank you, move date for the machine got pushed out a bit so I haven't done it yet. Did you use the holes where the machine feet normally go to secure it to the pallet, or a different method?

These were sent to me by Paul Babin and he noted:

We lag the HLV to the skid in each corner of the lathe. We also drill out holes for the HLV round foot pads to set in but probably unnecessary.

Follow up on this, I ended up doing it like Adrian's image in my other thread linked in the OP. I had more 2x4 than 2x6, so I had 2x6 under the feet (with holes drilled for them) and 2x4 across several other places. Lift with a fork truck and slings to get it on the pallet at the departing end. There were extra holes in the base, so I lagged it down with 1/2" threaded rod in 4 places then forked onto the trailer by the pallet. Pallet jack to get it set to the right place once on the trailer.

Bunch of straps, then drive home. Ended up with a tilt deck because a drop deck wasn't available. First time using a tilt deck, and I'm not sure how well the tilt damper works with a 2300 lb weight on the back, so put my floor jack under a corner and used that to control the lowering pace. Loosened the straps once tilted, some 3/4" black pipe under one end and a bar under the other to move it a bit, loosen the straps some more, and repeat. Once close enough to the ground pallet jack at one end and pipe at the other until all the way down. Pallet jack into place, and then a bar to get it lowered after disassembling the pallet beneath it.

In case anyone gets the idea to use 2x4 at the ends, I had it briefly on one 2x4 at the headstock end and one at the tailstock end. The 2x4 was visibly bowing. In my case the bottom of the 2x4 could only go 1/2" before hitting something else, so no real danger, but enough to show it wouldn't have been reasonable during transportation.

Turns out the VFD runs derated on single phase and the last owner had already used an L14-30 plug, which is odd since it was in a 3 phase setting, and clearly wired in the panel for 208 V 3 phase. So, swap the wire order to match up, and good to go.

Back