What's new
What's new

Moving CNC Mill not connected to power

LooseChange72

Plastic
Hello Community,

I have a machine that was recently purchased by my company that we are set to move. The machine is a Milltronics RH20 and is relatively small. It is not connected to power and there is no possibility to get it connected to power to move the -Z- Axis up or down so that the spindle can be braced/secured. The spindle is sitting 7"-8" inches above the table.

The machine is going to have a long transit and I want to know if there is anyone that could give me ideas on how to brace the spindle so that they -Z- axis does not get damaged from the journey on the truck?

Any help will be much appreciated.

matt_isserstedt

Diamond
Personally I would use softwood 2x4/2x6 blocking that you bolt to the T-slot(s) in a right-angle setup, use 1/2" or thicker plywood squares or gussets to stiffen the L- or T-shape.

If your machine has a counterweight for the milling head, its important to also secure that in place for transit...for that one you would need to check out the machine manuals. Possibly its a setup which bolts or pins in place. The bigger challenge might be getting that into alignment without the power-on. If there were roller chains connecting the two elements you might be able to hook into those strands to shift the counterweight separate from the milling head. Slack roller chain would just be along for the ride.

Modelman

Titanium
Not familiar with that particular machine, but I agree with Matt, bolt a wood block to the table and use wood wedges to put some preload on it. In addition for positioning things like counter weights or centering the table, any machine with ball screws can be made to move by taking the servo motor off and turning whatever the servo motor drives.

Dennis

LooseChange72

Plastic
Thank you for all the comments. I will definitely use the wood block method to secure the spindle. I'll contact the manufacturer about the counterweights. Its going to be interesting with the transit. Right now the trucking industry is in a tight pinch with the cost diesel fuel.