What's new
What's new

MT4 and MT5 Drills 4 Sale

Texasbowhunter

Aluminum
Have acquired several MT4 and MT5 HSS Drills 1-3/16" - 2-1/8"
Plz note that all the drills will cut but to what extent varies on the ware of the drills…All the drills should be sharpened either by an experienced individual or professional…I have done my best to express the state of the drills condition…I have used Nice - Good – Fair to describe drills
I'm thinking that $25 each plus shipping would be fair or if you want we can discuss package deal
MT5 Sizes
Drills MFG. Spiral @ Total OVAL Condition
1 5/8 HSS 11” 17” NICE
2” HS BTFLD 8” 14.5” NICE
2” has MT5 adapter 8” 14.5” GOOD
2 3/32 HS/USA ELE-FDREE 11.5” 17.5” NICE
2 1/8” HS China 11.5” 17.5” GOOD
MT4 Sizes
1 7/16” Cleveland TDCO 9.5” 14.5” NICE end of the MT4 has slight deformation (Twisted)
1 9/16 HS USA CLEFORGE 10” 16” NICE HAS COOLANT HOLES THRU SHAFT
1 9/16” HS PTD 10.5” 15.5” NICE
1 5/16” CLEVELAND USA 9” 14” FAIR
1 3/16 HS/USA 8.5” 13.5” NICE
1 45/64 10” 15” NICE UNABLE TO READ STAMPED INFORMATION ON SHANK OF DRILL CLEARLY
1 ½ BTFLD HS 7.75” 12.75” NICE
1 3/8 HERCULES USA 7” 12” NICE
1 17/32 USA MORSE 9.5” 14.5 FAIR/ROUGH
1 13/64 HS W&B 10.5” 15.5” NICE
1 13/32 HSS NACHI JAPAN 7.5” 12.5” NICE
1 11/32 USA 9.5” 14.5” NICE UNABLE TO READ STAMPED INFORMATION ON SHANK OF DRILL CLEARLY

I've had a bunch of viewers but no interest at this point...
Lets take this to the top once again and offer this:
I'm new at machining (just hobbyist) and am always considering tools and such to make my job easier...
If you have some extra tools you have more then you need lets see if we can get together and do some trading...
I have a Clausing 12 x 36 with a MT3 tail stock along with a BXA quick change tool post not that this may or may not mean anything...I also do wood working so if there's something there lets see...Accurate Measuring tools I can use...
paul

the wuss lathe you mention, couldn't swing the smallest dia. drill you want to sell....
not even in the slowest back-geared scenario....

that aside...those mt-5 shanks can easily be turned down to 1" weldon shanks and such.
very useful if you need big drils.

good luck.

the wuss lathe you mention, couldn't swing the smallest dia. drill you want to sell....
not even in the slowest back-geared scenario....

that aside...those mt-5 shanks can easily be turned down to 1" weldon shanks and such.
very useful if you need big drils.

good luck.

I have thought it would be nice to use a couple of the drills but the MT's were to big...So I reached out to a couple drill sharpening shops to see if they could be ground down to a MT3 and there reply was it would be cheaper to go buy what you want...So here lye's my dilemma...
I have not pursued having the Weldon 1" on them but if that was possible how would this help?
I would have to invest in a Larger Chuck that would hold 1" shank...
Now I'm just getting started in machining and if the lathe I own is not going to be big enough to handle any of the drills I dont see any point in getting them ground down...Am I missing something because I'm here to learn all I can...
Like I stated I would like to keep a couple of them for my needs for those just in case times...
I had also entertained the idea of getting a MT5-MT3 reducer and a MT4-MT3 reducer but it just did not seem to be strong where the 2 sizes meet...
But I'm curious I thought that at $25 for a nice condition drill would be a very reasonable price I'm surprised that there has not been any interest since the drills sell new for a small fortune...
Humm Go figure
Paul
Another thought here would be is anyone here able to do this grind and would you do this for a trade? resizing the shaft for a couple drills to be traded for your time?

Another thought here would be is anyone here able to do this grind and would you do this for a trade? resizing the shaft for a couple drills to be traded for your time?

The taper is soft. You can easily turn an MT shank into a straight shank in a lathe.

I run twist drills in CNC lathes and sometimes mills. MT usually isn't convenient. I turn the shank to 1" or 2" on larger drills and mill a flat for set screws. I usually mill the flat at a slight taper so the drill can't pull out.

The biggy sized Jacabs super chucks go to 1" so straight shank works in manual lathe tailstock, radials and HBM too.

Most I have turned straight are done because the drill is bent, the tang is broken or the taper is just a mess. Those drill bits are always free from the scrap bin so a few minutes to convert the shank and touch up on the belt sander makes them good as new.

I also got a large lot of big sized straight shank drills. I don't know why you'd buy them that way, but I find it's easier to turn the shank to a nominal size rather than make a bushing to use it.

I too frequently turn drill shanks, just did a 14.5 mt1 to fit in my cordless drill... OP I will put some thought into it and verify my lathes taper(iirc mt4) and get some, don't have anything large yet...

"But I'm curious I thought that at $25 for a nice condition drill would be a very reasonable price I'm surprised that there has not been any interest since the drills sell new for a small fortune..."

As a point of reference, i bought a large-ish batch of MT2 & 3 taper shank drills a few years ago with many duplicates. They ranged in size for about 1/2" to 1" dia (very popular sizes). I sold them on this site for $7.00 each and something like 5 for $25.00. It's tough to use current prices as a basis for old tooling. So much of it is available in large batches for cheap in auctions. My own opinion is $10.00 each might be an appropriate number. Don't get me wrong, you have every right to ask whatever you want but I infer you are asking for some feedback.

Good luck

I may be interested in some of the MT4 if they're ones I'm missing (likely the 32th and 64ths). Would you be willing to trade for an assortment smaller morse taper drills you can use in your Clausing? I have some MT1 thru 3 stuff.

I may be interested in some of the MT4 if they're ones I'm missing (likely the 32th and 64ths). Would you be willing to trade for an assortment smaller morse taper drills you can use in your Clausing? I have some MT1 thru 3 stuff.

Ohio Mike
Yes sir I would certainly be open to trades...
You have a PM
Paul

Back