What's new
What's new

Multifix A on Heavy 10?

Lucaselef

Aluminum
I'm looking at quick change tool posts for my 1959 South Bend 10L. I leaning heavily towards ordering an AXA brand multifix size A from Germany. Does anyone have one of these on a Heavy 10? I'm mostly concerned about how well the tools align with the center of the stock. I don't want to be all the way towards one end of the adjustment for tool height or have to make a spacer.

Any input or pictures would be appreciated as its going to be very expensive and I only want to do it once.

I have had one on my 10K for 30 yrs. without issue. It is the correct size for a 10" lathe
That's good to hear. Can you run 3/8" bits without adjustment problems?

Wow that is nice looking stuff! Lets see some pics when you get it installed.
Will do, although it's going to be a little while. I still have a few other small things to do to the lathe first, and I'm out of commission for 2 months from a shoulder surgery.

The part number of the holder is the size of the tool slot in both height and length. The standard tool holder is 86 mm long and 17 mm high. That holder will accommodate up to a 5/8 square tool bit. The tool holder will slide up and down on the 40 splined head to accommodate spindle center. Be advised that there are many different tool holders. The size AXA refers to Aloris quick change tool systems, not Multi-fix. Multi-fix systems are identified by sizes A, B, C, D and E. Size A is what will work on your lathe. Originally, these were just Swiss made, but they are now made by many companies. They are all compatible.

I have an A size on my Heavy 10 and it's a perfect fit. Use mostly 1/2 shank inserted carbide tooling without any trouble.

The part number of the holder is the size of the tool slot in both height and length. The standard tool holder is 86 mm long and 17 mm high. That holder will accommodate up to a 5/8 square tool bit. The tool holder will slide up and down on the 40 splined head to accommodate spindle center. Be advised that there are many different tool holders. The size AXA refers to Aloris quick change tool systems, not Multi-fix. Multi-fix systems are identified by sizes A, B, C, D and E. Size A is what will work on your lathe. Originally, these were just Swiss made, but they are now made by many companies. They are all compatible.

AXA is German brand who sells multifix. Not referring to the AXA sized dovetail tool posts. AXA sells 16mm x 75mm, 16x90, 20x75 and 20x90 tool holders. I'm thinking I'll mostly buy 16x75 holders and one or two 20x90 holders
Grosse 11 / A | stahlhalter24

I've looked at the create and while I've heard good things I heard they've been hard to get a hold of lately, possibly because their owner had passed away? Plus the cost difference has me worried. I'm not foolish enough to believe the cost is so much cheaper because labor is cheaper in China. I feel like they've cut corners somewhere, and I'm not really interested in trial running expensive tool posts. Has anyone purchased a create tool recently and is 100% happy?

I've looked at the create and while I've heard good things I heard they've been hard to get a hold of lately, possibly because their owner had passed away? Plus the cost difference has me worried. I'm not foolish enough to believe the cost is so much cheaper because labor is cheaper in China. I feel like they've cut corners somewhere, and I'm not really interested in trial running expensive tool posts. Has anyone purchased a create tool recently and is 100% happy?

I last ordered some tool holders from Create in June 2020; the quality seems fine. As you suggest another issue is if they are currently taking/filling orders.

Regarding the price difference, if I understand correctly the prices on AXA's website include VAT (19%?) which I don't think you would have to pay. If you do buy from AXA, please let us know how it goes especially regarding payment and shipping to the US.

Have to say they could have avoided a big source of confusion if they had selected a name other than "AXA".

David

I have purchased Multifix from Sino-sd on Ebay and found them to be of good quality. I went with a strange size which is now hard/expensive to get but gives a nice range. The Multifix are much nice than the traditional quick change tool posts in my opinion.

Ken

I got my tool post in from Germany. No issues with payment or delivery. I bought a number of holders as well and the total came to a little over $1000. They actually refunded me the $18 over in order to knock it down under $1000 for easier customs. All the parts arrived well packed and most importantly, they look very nice. I machined up a T nut and a threaded posts which took forever as I had to fudge around with an old lantern tool post to make them. Can't wait to get more insert tooling in and try it out. I'll definitely be ordering more holders from them in the future.
PXL_20220103_230553600.jpgPXL_20220103_230520046.jpgPXL_20220103_230157979.jpgPXL_20220103_231326401.jpg

Thank you for this. Looks like it belongs on your immaculate Heavy 10.

The AXA brand multifix is the only one I've seen marked with the country of origin "Made in Germany". My tool post and holders bought from SRW Amestra, several tool holders bought from Create, one HHIP brand tool holder bought from Ajax and one SPI "multi quick" tool holder bought from Penn Tool Company; none of these are marked with the country of origin.

David

Thank you for this. Looks like it belongs on your immaculate Heavy 10.

The AXA brand multifix is the only one I've seen marked with the country of origin "Made in Germany". My tool post and holders bought from SRW Amestra, several tool holders bought from Create, one HHIP brand tool holder bought from Ajax and one SPI "multi quick" tool holder bought from Penn Tool Company; none of these are marked with the country of origin.

David
The very clear marking of making in Germany definitely helped with my decision. Plus, once you subtract the VAT off the listed price they aren't much more expensive than the other options.

I'm curious to know if the others fit on the German made post. I think there are some styles of holder made by other companies that AXA doesn't make. If I ever get around to buying one I'll try and let you know how it fits.

Back