What's new
What's new

My 10EE and some shop pictures

Your shop and your choice of equipment is fascinating. Thanks for the look. I'd be interested in a thread discussing your take on the various machines, what you like and what you think are weaknesses or better designed by others. The old stuff is a lot of work but when you get used to it, going to new is hard. I have a sharp VH25 that is like new and has no issues but I'm always thinking when I run it how much better built the old Rambaudi OR 60 is. Dave

I've thought about posting a thread about the Rivett and Monarch - the things I like/don't like and the differences in they way they approached certain areas like spindle bearings. I suppose this could go in the Monarch forum. Where should the discussion of the other machines go?

The assembly of the big gantry was as follows. I’ve include a couple of rough drawings to help illustrate.

It was loaded on a 20’ equipment trailer disassembled. ...

To unload, the trailer was parked under the building’s I-beam rafters. Two 1-ton, 15’ chain falls were rigged off these rafters and were used to lift the beam. Each A-frame and column is attached to the beam using the front D-ring and a chokered come-along. As the beam goes up, it pulls the A-frames with it. When it is all the way up, the A-frames are hanging loose off the I-beam on the chokered come-alongs. The trailer was then pulled out. (This is shown in Drawing A.)

Next step is to align the flanges on the I-beam to the A-frame. Use another ¾ ton come-along to connect the top D-ring on the I-beam to the back D-ring on the column. Then raise both ends until the flanges come together. Use a taper pin to align and put in the bolts. (This is shown in Drawing B.)
Thanks! That's very interesting.

I assume that instead of the inexpensive, cable-type come-along, you were using the chain-type, like this: link

I'm not exactly sure what you mean by "chokered" come-along. How is that rigged?

Did you have a scissor lift to set up the chain hoists and then wrangle the A-frames into position, or did you use a really long step-ladder?

With your design, would it have been possible to have added a hinge pin to the bolt-plates that connect an A-frame to the I-beam, so that you could just lift the I-beam vertically, then push A-frames out and bolt them up? (I don't know if I explained that very well.)

Cal

Thanks! That's very interesting.

I assume that instead of the inexpensive, cable-type come-along, you were using the chain-type, like this: link

I'm not exactly sure what you mean by "chokered" come-along. How is that rigged?

Did you have a scissor lift to set up the chain hoists and then wrangle the A-frames into position, or did you use a really long step-ladder?

With your design, would it have been possible to have added a hinge pin to the bolt-plates that connect an A-frame to the I-beam, so that you could just lift the I-beam vertically, then push A-frames out and bolt them up? (I don't know if I explained that very well.)

Cal

A come-along is anything with a load brake and a handle. Most of them are chain but I have seen some with cable or even strap. I used the chain variety.

In this case by “chokered” I meant I used a round sling choked on itself with a come-along hanging from it. There is an error in my drawing. The choker would be closer to the bolt flange and the come-along hook would have been attached at the D-ring at the top of the A-frame further down. This provides a better angle.

I used a really tall step ladder to hang the chain falls from the I-beam.

Yes, you could possibly use a hinge pin, but the A-frame and verticals were assembled together and would be very hard to maneuver without a forklift in order to line them up. I’m not sure I completely understand what you are suggesting. The two come-along method allow free movement with no aligning until you get to the top. When you get to the top, the two come along-alongs will pull them together flush. All you then need is a spud wrench to align.

Back