What's new
What's new

My CNC tool organization solution. (Also shop walkthrough and other things)

xnewmanx

Aluminum
My shop is a home shop and it’s just me working in it, so maybe this doesn’t work with shops with lots of people.

I got a new machine which is going to get a new tool library so it allowed me to reset how I do things.

My new DNM5700 holds 400 tool offsets and 30 in the carousel. I set up my tool library in cam as follows. Tools 1-50 for square EMs, 51-100 for corner radius EMs, 101-130 ball mills, all the way up to 400.

Next I got Amazon key tags with numbers on them to represent 1-400. I had to break that up into four groups of 1-100 because I haven’t found a cheap 1-400 set. When the tools are in the storage rack, the key tag hangs on the tool (bigger tools I use a hinged ring)

When they are in the machine I hang them on a hook board that has columns for each tool group. If I need to add a tool and the machine is full, I can tell at a glance if I have, say, 10 drills in the machine and can pull one out to put in a different tool. Easy to keep track of tools this way and can have 400 tools built and just swap them around and keep track of them without ever having to touch off.

The system sort of falls apart if you run out of tools in your group (I planned for having 50 square endmills. The second I need the 51st it gets ugly.

These are tags I used. I did just find these 1-200 so I can just have 2 colors so I'll probably grab them just to simplify. TAGS 1-200.

Also I built a tool holder cart with a separate rack to hold my unused marker tags.

If you want a walkthrough of my shop I made a crude one here:

Here are some pics:

Keytag pegboard on machine

img_9788-jpeg.416869

The labels. Eventually I'll make one that's nicer.

img_9789-jpeg.416870

Tools in the cart I made:

img_9804-jpeg.416871

And the cart itself:

img_9801-jpeg.416872

Attachments

• IMG_9788.jpeg
    4.1 MB · Views: 268
  • IMG_9789.jpeg
    IMG_9789.jpeg
    414.3 KB · Views: 266
  • IMG_9804.jpeg
    6.2 MB · Views: 269
  • IMG_9801.jpeg
    3.8 MB · Views: 260
Last edited:
Looks like a large space for a one man operation, what's the square footage?

In any case, beautiful shop, I'm very jealous.

Nice!
How sturdy and stable do you find that style of rotary that is on your Haas?
I only used it a few times because my haas was my only machine for a long time and I couldn't afford the time to rip out all the vises and set up the TRT. It's full time duty is now 5 axis work but I haven't gotten to it yet. I just got the DNM dialed in and ready to run.

The one thing that I noticed was absent is WIP.

You don;'t appear to have anything going on at all?
Just cleared it all out for the pics? Or?

One Q on the tag system yet:
How doo you call your tools?
Or maybe - How doo you know which pocket they are in?
Or maybe you don't call them via "pocket"?

From my vantage point, it would seem that your tags would hang on a 30 point hook system on the machine?

-------------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

The one thing that I noticed was absent is WIP.

You don;'t appear to have anything going on at all?
Just cleared it all out for the pics? Or?

One Q on the tag system yet:
How doo you call your tools?
Or maybe - How doo you know which pocket they are in?
Or maybe you don't call them via "pocket"?

From my vantage point, it would seem that your tags would hang on a 30 point hook system on the machine?

-------------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox
Valid questions.
As for WIP. I timed the arrival of my machine to coincide with completing certain projects. I did a few small things in the interim, but it's just me in there, so I finished up projects, got everything straightened up and then brought the machine in and got everything set up. There is a pile of steel on one of the wood top workbenches that is up next.

As for the tools, I call tools by their tool number. I have no idea or no concern about what pocket the tools are in in the machine. As far as I am concerned I have a 400 tool magazine, but I need to make sure that the tools I need for a job are in a special section of the 400 tool magazine.

Breaking it down further:
In theory every machine has a magazine that is as large as the number of offsets that the machine can save. It's just that you can only access 30 (or whatever the carousel size is) at any given time. Maybe this is over explaining it, but other machinists I know didn't understand how I could have tool numbers higher than the number of pots in the machine. There is ZERO reason for me to know what pot a tool is in.

To further overexplain the hang tag system: there will only be a maximum of 30 (or 31 technically) tags hanging on my pegboard at any given time. Lots of empty space. But arranging them in a matrix allows me to see, at a glance, how many of a certain type of tool is in the machine. If I have 8 hang tags in the ream column then I have 8 reams in the machine (tools 270-289), I'll probably pull one of those if I need to put in a different ball mill (tools 100-129), because reams are likely pretty job specific.

Some of these tools will have some flexibility. For example, tools 201-209 are all drills that aren't permanent. Just a drill in a jacobs chuck and I will always touch them off before use because I am changing them frequently. T201 could be a different drill in every program. I also have a section for more "permanent" drills (T210-239). Say I drill a 3/8-16 holes a lot. I may set T216 in my cam library as a 5/16 drill and never change it for the foreseeable future. Same thing goes for taps.

T1 is always a 1/2 X 1 3FL EM in my cam library.

OK, I wasn't sure how your control called the tools.
I understand that your Fanuc can have WAY more offsets than pockets, but that's not always the case.
I know that on my Siemens mills if I have more than 20 tools, I had to just call up T0, and hand load and program it with no offset. (sucks) On the Fanuc mill I recently got (my first mill with a Fanuc) that mill won't let me program in a T0 and unload. So, IDK what I'd have to doo if I needed more tools, but that one has twin changers, so I think I have that covered. LOL!

So, your machine is configured so that T1 could be in pocket 23, and you would call up M6 T1 and it would pull from pocket 23?

Does your machine have random tool changer anyhow?
Or ???

Any mill that I have ever had - typically didn't decipher between "pocket" and "tool".

"One man shop" has nothing to doo with WIP and material around.
I have tons of material on my floor. (lots of other shtuff too!)

Speaking of .... I didn't see any fork trucks?

--------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

So, your machine is configured so that T1 could be in pocket 23, and you would call up M6 T1 and it would pull from pocket 23?
Correct, and T1 might get put in pocket 11 upon the next tool change. The machine will keep track and fetch from pocket 11 on the next M6 T1.

Reactions: Ox
OK, I wasn't sure how your control called the tools.
I understand that your Fanuc can have WAY more offsets than pockets, but that's not always the case.
I know that on my Siemens mills if I have more than 20 tools, I had to just call up T0, and hand load and program it with no offset. (sucks) On the Fanuc mill I recently got (my first mill with a Fanuc) that mill won't let me program in a T0 and unload. So, IDK what I'd have to doo if I needed more tools, but that one has twin changers, so I think I have that covered. LOL!

Does your machine have random tool changer anyhow?
Or ???

Any mill that I have ever had - typically didn't decipher between "pocket" and "tool".

"One man shop" has nothing to doo with WIP and material around.
I have tons of material on my floor. (lots of other shtuff too!)

Speaking of .... I didn't see any fork trucks?

--------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox
Nope. Best I’ve ever done is a manual pallet jack borrowed from work. Otherwise all arm action.

I meant more about one man shop as it related to coming back online from full shutdown. Usually the benches have some sort of WIP.

Back