What's new
What's new

My Dads Shop- advice for liquidating

Thank you so much. Yes I have heard the older punch presses without hydraulic? air clutch? (not sure) should be scrapped. I've got to look into that. They are so heavy it might cost me as much as I make to have them hauled away. We are in Upland, CA. I'll list some of our bigger items and put pictures. Thanks again.

Looks like there are a lot of scrapyards in your area, with scrap prices way up you might get one to haul them off without knocking much off what they pay as long as they can load easily.

I dabble in ebay selling on the side and can just imagine what a monumental task clearing out a shops worth of tooling via ebay would be. It is tempting to go this route for some things as we would get a bit more than at auction. Are there any types of tooling in particular that sell well on ebay? Do you think punch press dies or press brake dies would sell well on ebay? Thanks for your help

You can always do what a lot of auctioneers do and just group tooling in lots, spread it out and take pictures. Put like items together. Of course since you dabble in E-bay definitely look at sold prices for single items. A lot of machinery dealers list things at unrealistic prices.

Thank you so much. Yes I have heard the older punch presses without hydraulic? air clutch? (not sure) should be scrapped. I've got to look into that. They are so heavy it might cost me as much as I make to have them hauled away. We are in Upland, CA. I'll list some of our bigger items and put pictures. Thanks again.

If your presses have mechanical pin clutches they have $0.00 resale value. I don't think there has been a punch press built in this country with a mechanical pin clutch since about 1970. so the newest ones are over 50 years old. You will be ahead to just tear them apart and sell them for scrap. If they have air clutches they have some value.

If your presses have mechanical pin clutches they have $0.00 resale value. I don't think there has been a punch press built in this country with a mechanical pin clutch since about 1970. so the newest ones are over 50 years old. You will be ahead to just tear them apart and sell them for scrap. If they have air clutches they have some value.

I'm usually first to say that there is no lack of machine tools on the West Coast, but in the case of large presses there is a real deficit. A large pin clutch press does have some value, especially if it's got desirable features like a long stroke and if it's been Osha upgraded with guards and hand controls.

There are factories out here filled with large old pin clutch machines. They buy them for $5k instead of $500k and rebuild them with modern automation and they stamp parts just like the newer machines.

Presses are funny. When times were shitty around 2008-2011 I remember an auction where hundreds of high speed fine blanking presses running carbide tools were scrapped. I didn't even know what they were back then. Everyone there thought that kind of work was done in the USA. Boy was that short sighted. Presses can generate crazy revenue. The value you can add to a sheet of dirt cheap sheetmetal with a progressive tool in a punch is thousandfold what a CNC mill or lathe can do.

My 1925 Bliss puts 300 tons into a tool made from scrap to form parts from T1 plate. 10 times a minute it turns a $20 blank into a $600 part in one hit.

Here is a list of some of the larger items we have:

The last 10-15 years our 10K shop was down to 3-4 guys so these machines were used at most 1 week a month. I'll get actual hours soon.

[*]Chicago Dreis & Krump Press Brake 8’ Model 810-C

[*]Large lot of Press Brake Dies

[*]6 large Press Punches from 20 ton to 160 ton Brands: Minster, Diamond, Ferracute, Summit, Thomas

A lot of misc items, tooling, industrial tables and workbenches, industrial shelving & cabinets, inspection equipment, LARGE lot of punch press dies, Dust collector vacuum system for grinding room, compressor, etc.

I'll attempt to post "right side up" pictures next
If you decide to sell individual items I am interested in the brake and dies, depending on capacity and die selection. A quick look shows the 810 machines could be 50, 75 or 90 tons.
And "remotely" interested in punch presses and or the tooling. I have a 60 ton presently.
I am 4 hr drive or so north of you.

Inspection equipment in nice condition can bring up to 50% of new prices on E-bay. Excluding large items like optical comparators, surface plates, and CMMs. I would sell those items individually on E-bay with a buy it now/best offer listing. I would just take those out of the shop asap.

My 1925 Bliss puts 300 tons into a tool made from scrap to form parts from T1 plate. 10 times a minute it turns a $20 blank into a $600 part in one hit.

That is just too awesome, making that kind of bank off a machine almost 100 years old. I have a gut feeling you have a special skill and a niche market to do that, congratulations!

That is just too awesome, making that kind of bank off a machine almost 100 years old. I have a gut feeling you have a special skill and a niche market to do that, congratulations!

It's been more luck than skill. Presses are valuable when they are competing against any other process.

In my situation what that means is I was able to replace a complex machined part from expensive material with a part formed from cheap plate. So it really was press time VS CNC lathe and mill time. In a situation where you are comparing an old drop pin clutch press to an operation done by a modern press there is no sense in it therefore the case can be made that old presses have no value.

The right market makes an old press a valuable tool.

I'm usually first to say that there is no lack of machine tools on the West Coast, but in the case of large presses there is a real deficit. A large pin clutch press does have some value, especially if it's got desirable features like a long stroke and if it's been Osha upgraded with guards and hand controls.

There are factories out here filled with large old pin clutch machines. They buy them for $5k instead of $500k and rebuild them with modern automation and they stamp parts just like the newer machines.

Presses are funny. When times were shitty around 2008-2011 I remember an auction where hundreds of high speed fine blanking presses running carbide tools were scrapped. I didn't even know what they were back then. Everyone there thought that kind of work was done in the USA. Boy was that short sighted. Presses can generate crazy revenue. The value you can add to a sheet of dirt cheap sheetmetal with a progressive tool in a punch is thousandfold what a CNC mill or lathe can do.

I have a soft spot for our presses as one of my first jobs was working on them during the summer. I think I was 12. :eek: My dad always made sure I had my hair in a ponytail and went over safety with me. Probably couldn't get away with that today lol. Our presses are old. Probably 60's or 70's. I love old machines and old presses to me are some of the coolest looking. I have heard that since they probably don't meet current safety standards that there may be a liability in selling them. Not sure if that is true. I like the idea of someone buying them and adding safety features and giving them a good clean up. They all work great and we have hundreds of dies. It be nice if they didn't get scrapped.

It's been more luck than skill. Presses are valuable when they are competing against any other process.

In my situation what that means is I was able to replace a complex machined part from expensive material with a part formed from cheap plate. So it really was press time VS CNC lathe and mill time. In a situation where you are comparing an old drop pin clutch press to an operation done by a modern press there is no sense in it therefore the case can be made that old presses have no value.

The right market makes an old press a valuable tool.

Before my Dad bought the business they used the presses a lot. Now we don't have as many press jobs but they come in handy for secondary operations. The guys used them all the time.

Thank you for the info!

If you decide to sell individual items I am interested in the brake and dies, depending on capacity and die selection. A quick look shows the 810 machines could be 50, 75 or 90 tons.
And "remotely" interested in punch presses and or the tooling. I have a 60 ton presently.
I am 4 hr drive or so north of you.

The press brake is a 50 ton capacity. Here is the only pic I have of some of the dies. Let me know if you'd like to see more. 2 of our presses have air clutches, the rest are mechanical. I'll find out which 2 have air clutches and let you know. Thanks

IMG_7704.jpgIMG_7707.jpg

wow now that looks like that was a well run clean shop your machines look new . gods speed and good luck with your sales some people are going to get some nice machines

wow now that looks like that was a well run clean shop your machines look new . gods speed and good luck with your sales some people are going to get some nice machines

Thank you so much! It used to be a bit cleaner and more organized…. but it’s a great shop that leaves us with lots of good memories!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back