What's new
What's new

My new lathe... "inspired" by a Weiler Praktikant....

MCritchley

Hot Rolled
Did you order it with a scale on the compound? That's the first I've seen one installed, they don't give you much swivel room. Fine looking machine

JohnEvans

Titanium
I'm green :D !!!! Lovely lathe but, no taper attachment? Spending that much $$ I sure would have had ALL the bells $ whistles !

Spud

Diamond
Very nice machine.

Out of curiosity who is the maker/brand and size of the multifix pattern tool post?

David

I am curious too, on the brand and where it was manufactured. Are all or the major comonents, like the casting, made in Austria or from one of the Eastern Euro countries where this company has production facilities?

Milacron

Super Moderator
Did you order it with a scale on the compound? That's the first I've seen one installed, they don't give you much swivel room. Fine looking machine
Compound scale is standard issue with this model.... pretty common on high end Euro lathes

Milacron

Super Moderator
I am curious too, on the brand and where it was manufactured. Are all or the major comonents, like the casting, made in Austria or from one of the Eastern Euro countries where this company has production facilities?
Entire machine....lathe, 3 jaw chuck, Multifix post and DRO made in China ! Bernardo designed it and hopefully demand quality control. Runs great so far...very quiet and smooth.

Re Stronghold Equipment (Canada) and their Bernardo stuff on Bidspotter... I wondered the same thing.... makes no sense really as all I see from them looks different from current Bernardo offerings. And their prices seem way too low to make any profit importing from Austria these days. Maybe they bought a container load of various machines from Austria years ago and just now selling the last of it ? :confused:

Milacron

Super Moderator
Was cleaning out machine tool brochure files today and discovered my lathe is even closer design to a GDW LZ360S... suspect theirs is made by the same company in China.

https://www.gdw-drehen.de/Dateien/PDF/2016-350_GDW_Classicline.pdf
gdw_lz_360s_02-jpg

gdw_lz_360s_02-jpg

Entire machine....lathe, 3 jaw chuck, Multifix post and DRO made in China ! Bernardo designed it and hopefully demand quality control. Runs great so far...very quiet and smooth.

Re Stronghold Equipment (Canada) and their Bernardo stuff on Bidspotter... I wondered the same thing.... makes no sense really as all I see from them looks different from current Bernardo offerings. And their prices seem way too low to make any profit importing from Austria these days. Maybe they bought a container load of various machines from Austria years ago and just now selling the last of it ? :confused:

Did you know it was from china when you bought it?

Spud

Diamond
Was cleaning out machine tool brochure files today and discovered my lathe is even closer design to a GDW LZ360S... suspect theirs is made by the same company in China.

https://www.gdw-drehen.de/Dateien/PDF/2016-350_GDW_Classicline.pdf
gdw_lz_360s_02-jpg

gdw_lz_360s_02-jpg

I would not have guessed the GDW lathe is from China, it doesn't have that Chinese look.

If memory serves me, did you mention months ago about becoming a machine tool importer? Is this lathe what you had in mind or did you get this lathe because the Schaublin 135 isn't adequate?

beckerkumm

Hot Rolled
I'd be interested in details of how your lathe build differs from most Taiwan precision lathes of the same price point. I know many of them are Colchester copies while yours is more like a Weiler. How do the drive system and controls differ? You said the machine sounds very quiet, do the gears look to be well made and are they hardened? I know supposedly the higher end Taiwan lathes harden the drive gears. Colchester originally hardened the gears on their higher end lathes but only the drive gears on the Student which I think is the model copied most often. Gear quality is one of the differences between the 7K and 15K Taiwan lathes but there are few real discussions about the build differences of the 15-20K lathes. I understand Weiler is more like 50-75K so a different animal.

A good critique will be welcomed. Dave