What's new
What's new

My new lathe... "inspired" by a Weiler Praktikant....

thermite

Diamond
Will the Austrians have better luck having machines built in China than did 600 Group when they had the M300 built by DMTG?
Bob

Probably.

"600 Group" seems to have been a hint at their markup?

The Austrians ain't cheapwads, like to eat and live well, grin, enjoy life, rather than march about with a rigid pecking-order attitude like their overly-regimented German co-linguists.

But they are less greedy, even so!

:)

cyanidekid

Titanium
Which begs the question, what do you see in the Chinese lathe (that is the subject of this thread) that appears Chinese ? I do see one thing which is the graphics for the spindle speed positions (upper left knob) which are Roman numerals, which look a bit silly. Otherwise it looks all "Austrian/German" to me. But agree the typical Chinese or Taiwanese lathe is pretty obvious where it came from just by the looks of details.

for me, its the font. instantly screams China to me. I can't quite pin it down, but, now that I'm thinking about it, its likely the line width to point size ratio. there is a logical reason for that to look "right" to an eye and an esthetic based in Chinese. It's absolutely necessary given the complexity of the characters.

the knobs also, too generic, (if smaller) could be on a space heater or toaster oven.

having said that, no, nothing wrong with Chinese manufacture, but ive personally been engaged in a serious effort to avoid Chinese (PRC) products since Tiananmen Sq. on human rights grounds, not easy, and its cost me thousands, but no regrets (especially products in closely government controlled industries, like tungstens).

cheers, and looks like a nice machine, let us know how she turns.

Milacron

Super Moderator
for me, its the font. instantly screams China to me. I can't quite pin it down, but, now that I'm thinking about it, its likely the line width to point size ratio. there is a logical reason for that to look "right" to an eye and an esthetic based in Chinese. It's absolutely necessary given the complexity of the characters.
Assuming you mean the Bernardo nameplate on the right side, I agree it looks a bit goofy but the irony of your thinking it looks Chinese is that I'm sure Bernardo would never have wanted a logo that screamed "China made" when the company origins are Austria ! Suspect the Bernardo fonts are something GenX Austrian graphic artists conjured up to look "modern" and "perky" ;)

ive personally been engaged in a serious effort to avoid Chinese (PRC) products since Tiananmen Sq. on human rights grounds, not easy, and its cost me thousands, but no regrets
Wondering if you have stopped purchasing US-made products as well ? Trail of Tears, Sand Creek, Pine Ridge, Waco, Columbine (the original one), Passaic riots, concentration camps for slant-eyes, Vietnam, Iraq invasion, replacement of Iran's government with a dictatorship so BP could make more $$, slavery, Plessey vs Ferguson, Dredd Scott, now shooting black people in the back seven times for shoplifting or having a burntout tail light, and so on ?

Just wondering how deep your ethics run.

I still say the electrical buttons are kinda cheap. Such a small thing, but seems like no one uses good buttons now. Are they even made anymore ?

Milacron

Super Moderator
I still say the electrical buttons are kinda cheap. Such a small thing, but seems like no one uses good buttons now. Are they even made anymore ?
Below is closeup of buttons and the electrical box. The button barrels do look a bit like chromed plastic in photos but they are metal. I suppose the buttons are not the ultimate buttons but seem acceptable for a modern lathe. The contractors are mostly Siemens. (the hanging wire in there is temporary... I installed a brighter lamp recently)

IMG_0781-1.jpg IMG_0782-1.jpg

Below is closeup of buttons and the electrical box. The button barrels do look a bit like chromed plastic in photos but they are metal.
Just a matter of taste but I like sturdier buttons and real names, those fricking hieroglyphics look awful to me. Older stuff looks so much more industrial ... and you don't have to try to figure out what a nun with an arrow through her head means.

Devlieg%204H-60%20CNC%20Jig%20Mill%20-%2005.jpg

Garwood

Diamond
I have some 3 year old Chinese built straight side presses and the quality is pretty good, they look similar in build quality to that lathe. I also have a higher end Chinese CO2 laser.

To me, one of the giveaways equipment is Chinese is the way the paint/powdercoat looks. It's like the shade or gloss level is never quite right.

I bought the presses for $100 a piece when they didn't sell at an auction. I explained they didn't meet their reserve prices because they're all 380 volt 3 phase. When I got them unloaded I was happy to find the motors were all dual voltage 240/380. That was a good score.

beckerkumm

Hot Rolled
Almost everyone cheats on electrics and motors ( small frame, high hp )now. Buttons are easy to replace and no big deal. the key is did the manufacturer put the money into what matters. Dave

beckerkumm

Hot Rolled
Are you sure ? I haven't seen any of the old-style heavy-duty buttons and switches for a long time. Where do you buy them ?

Ebay or off my other old machines. I also like antivandal switches for some types or if going to a vfd ( like on my Smart Brown conversion ). The big mechanical ones I save for old machines like my 60/61. I also watch ebay-UK for old Brookhirst or Crabtree as I have several other English machines. Explosion proof stuff is also pretty heavy duty. Dave

At least it's not completely enveloped in sheetmetal for my safety like a current euro machine would be.
Alexa ! Turn on the hydraulic pump, please !

Ages ago, when nc was new and shiny and very few had them, I put a wallmount phone (touchtone) on the control cabinet so if the phone rang, I didn't have to run all over. But when visitors came by it was fun to talk into the phone as a part was running - "Two inches towards the chuck, now back out one point five inches, make a radius of half an inch, three-eighths inch towards the chuck, now change to drill and put a half inch hole through ..."

Lots of people fell for it :D

Milacron

Super Moderator
Better ? Mostly new Siemens stuff...

IMG_0924-1.jpg original.... IMG_0781.jpg

Maybe not a huge difference in photos but in real life the new switches seem way nicer.

Last edited:

Milacron

Super Moderator
Is that the same "Bernado" brand that a Bidspotter seller out of upstate NewYork keeps auctioning off?
Looking at Bidspotter today I noticed a lathe from the New York seller where the Bernardo logo is way different, plus the name is "Bernardo Machinna"..... Products Even stranger the contact is a dead link in the UK www.replica-watch.co.uk

So the answer is (curiously) no, completely different Bernardo