What's new
What's new

My week this week, my workshop videos.

Fordson Major rebuild, 3 point links, tow hitch and lathecam!

I get all the insides and edges of the painting finished, clean up and paint the 3 point components, and make the bushes for welding into the towwbar pin holes, which have been worn oval by the years since 1955! I know how they feel, being a 1952 model myself!!
Phil, in warm and springlike East Yorkshire!

First job I get on with the tow hitch repairs, fitting the bushes I made last week into the badly worn oval holes and welding them in, and then pad welding the pins, and also the holes in the plates that the hitch attaches to, and then PAINT!! I get everything that is left to paint cleaned up, primed up and painted, and don't it look sweet!

Phil, Bright and sunny with a chill breeze in East Yorkshire

I finish rebuilding the three point linkage and the towhitch, and start the electrics and dashboard, as soon as i get the regulator sorted and refitted, along with the wiring harness, the only job left will be to paint the rear wheels!
Happy Daze
Phil in really very hot East Yorkshire!

In which I build a dynamo test bench, and proceed to test dynamos and the wiring harness and the regulator. I do make progres! There are frustrations, but generally every day is a school day and I am learning all the time, or at least trying to remember back to the time before about 1973 when all motor vehicles had dynamos, and I used to service them all the time. You forget a lot in 50 years!!
Phil, back to snow and cold in East Yorkshire!

I find multiple faults with the dynamo, wiring harness and the regulator box and cutout, and fix them all! I set the charging rate and cut in point, then I start the fiddly process of rebuilding it all back into the tiny dashboatd box that it all lives in! I discover that I need to buy more black insulation tape!
Phil, in sunny, rainy and windy East Yorkshire

Suddenly it all goes back together, and it is finished apart from the front grille protector, and the roll over safety bar, which will be next week!, and then I spend Saturday trying to sort why I cant edit it untill I findthat my 2TB drive is FULL! a file has been saving duplicates of all my videos since day one! I get it sorted, and eventually get it online. I am proud of the tractor, but not the video and the sound falls odd towards the end of part two, but it is what it is, as they say on Salvage rebuilds UK!
Phil, warm and sunny with long grass in East Yorkshire

This week I repair the ROPS and paint it, and all the lighting components that arrived in three different colours, This could be the final week on the tractor, and time to move onto the Big Bee topper, but there are going to be interuptions! Mothers Moving day is friday the sixth and she has to be out because the new owners are moving in! So I will need to be up there for a few days prior, We will see what I can get done!
Phil, in gloriously sunny, but not too hot East Yorkshire

A quick catch up as I have been busy moving Mum to her new home this week,Back to the tractor next week, and also more of clearing an old engineers workshop!
Phil, in sunny and rainy East Yorkshire

The big clearout of my late neighbours shed continues, my almost empty washers box is now overflowing, and there are lots of usefull goodies appearing as I empty the rest, plus instructions on Megger testing electric motors for earth faults, and my usual wit and wisdom, such as it is!!
Phil, in Scorching East Yorkshire

More clearing and sorting of the workshop stuff, and a few interesting finds. I have come up with a strategy! Next week I will finish the tractor, and then the grass cutter, and when they are done and out, I am going on a cull of all my junk, starting in the Outside store, which is full of junk, much of which can be scrapped, as the price is very good at the moment, and that will give me somewhere to move the stuff from the downstairs stores, which are impractical, as they are too far away from the workshop proper!, of course as I move the stuff, much of that will also be culled!!
Phil, the grass waits for no man in East Yorkshire!

Yes folks, all my goodies are sorted away, and I get to spend a whole day fitting the ROPS and wiring the lights on the tractor! I will be back on it full time next week, and then onto the topper/grass cutter, which will be brief, as it is only to check over, one swing slasher to free off, sharpen, and a coat of paint!
Phil, in monsoon hit East Yorkshire!

I finish wiring the lights, and get all the wiring neatened up and ruggedised, move the oil pipe, and finally fit the toolbox, A disaster is averted when I find the oil pressure guage pipe has been rubbing and is worn thin! All in a weeks worth of tractor fun! Also some work in the field, tidying up the remains of the old kennels, and you can see the heat affecting my non existent photography skills, Thursday brought the first really hot day to East Yorkshire, Friday was a little cooler..........................but not much!
Phil, in sunstricken East Yorkshire!

The final front ear! That old startrek chestnut, but apart from the fact that it is not charging, everything else is fine! After all that hassle with the electrics, bloody ungratefull I call it! It will be something simple, and probably to do with the cut out setting being done at different revs to actually being on the tractor or else a wire off on the cut out, it is very tight in there, I will sort it! Then on to the topper, and that gets finished all bar the shouting!, All in all, a good week! Phil, it is HOT again in East Yorkshire!

Released at 4pm GMT+1 Saturday
I get the grass cutter finished, and condemn the pto driveshaft as BER until I see the price of a new one! It can be fixed as you can buy the tube, so I can replace the twisted portion. I am going to fit the grass cutter to the tractor and measure up for the driveshaft with the grasscutter in the raised and lowered position so I get the right length, as measuring it up roughly seems to indicate about 4" overlap in the telecoping part when it is in the down position, so no wonder it has twisted. Thank you all for watching and commenting, and don't forget to like and subscribe, and click on the black bell to get all the updates and notice of new content! I try to upload every Saturday at 4pm GMT but if you click the bell when you subscribe, you tube will remind you, supposedly!!
Phil, In very bright sunshine between the cold and downpours in East Yorkshire!

What seemed to be a simple bit of vibration and wobble on the PTO shaft turned into a nightmare of disintegrating universal joints damages slider tubes, twisted Yokes, and basically all the indications that this pto shaft has had a non shear bolt in the topper end, which has subjected the PTO shaft to forces well beyond its pay scale!, I fought it, threw money at it, heated it up in the gas forge till it glowed, hammered, and twisted, and eventually came out victorious (I hope) It's all in my week this week!
Phil in hot and humid East Yorkshire!

I bite the bullet once again, and take off the PTO shaft to relieve the tight bearing, which is nylon to metal, and will melt and self destruct if it is not right. I get the charging circuit working, although not at low rpm, but many fordson owners tell me that is how they are ! There may be a new regulator in the near future, as setting the old one up again when it is on the tractor is not easy access! Touch the paintwork up, and then as some light relief, I make a pair of moulding flasks for the copper casting experiment, It's all in my week this week!
Phil, in overcast, cool and cloudy East Yorkshire, Harvest is ON!

Another 3 day week!, Monday was my 70th birthday, so I took the day off, Tuesday was so unfeasably hot that I stayed home and sweltered! This is what remains! I finish the moulding flask, and get the sand mixed with the bentonite and wetted down, and then get sidetracked into a quick repair (why are they never quick) on the little Reid-EE sawbench. when I was at school I only got lines once! I had to write out 100 times "I must concentrate on the job in hand" I am living proof that the lines did not work!!
Phil, in unfeasably hot then dull and overcast East Yorkshire.

Another 3 day week!, Monday was my 70th birthday, so I took the day off, Tuesday was so unfeasably hot that I stayed home and sweltered! This is what remains! I finish the moulding flask, and get the sand mixed with the bentonite and wetted down, and then get sidetracked into a quick repair (why are they never quick) on the little Reid-EE sawbench. when I was at school I only got lines once! I had to write out 100 times "I must concentrate on the job in hand" I am living proof that the lines did not work!!
Phil, in unfeasably hot then dull and overcast East Yorkshire.
Happy Birthday Phil, one sure way to die off is to run out of things to do. Sounds like you will live forever, ha ha. Charles

Back