What's new
What's new

Mystery 10" steady reast

StrayAlien

Cast Iron
Hi all,

I recently bought a 10L and with it I got this:

Besides being a bit scrappy and missing bits I was curious if anybody might know anything more about it. It has no manufacturer marks that I can see. But, it does seem to fit the SB 10L well, even though it has no 'fingers', clamp etc.

As an aside, do the fingers on these guys follow any sort of sizing standards? (I make these to be about 0.870" wide).

If I can , I'd like to get it operational again.

It looks very similar to the leblonde regal steady I have. The fingers are flat with a slot cut in them for the pinch bolt and they have a bronze end. Other than the style, and appearance I couldn't swear to the manufacture.

Tim

just have to make the fingers and bed clamp, fingers to the size that they slide freely and about 1/2 inch thick. bearings or bronze tips

Righto. Thanks all. I was secretly hoping someone would say it *is* a south bend. :-) Bob. Noted. Thanks. I'll be getting together a shopping list for the 10L refurb and trying to get it all sent from the US in a few packages as I can - freight to (not-so) tropical Melbourne costs a lot!

Interestingly, I saw this today:

South Bend Steady Rest 10 in Swing | eBay

It looks precisely the same as mine except that mine has no casting marks. Even the upper section "flip pin" has the same little indent on it of the same proportions. The ad claims it is vintage south bend.

So, if the ad is correct (and ebay is *always* correct ... right) then my steady rest is either South Bend, or possibly, a copy of it by one of the Australian South Bend cloners ... though I don't know of any 10" cloners .. just 9".

A popular and well known 9" cloner was "Hercus" .. and their colour was green ... like mine, but like I said, afaik, they only cloned the 9".

Interesting.

Back