What's new
What's new

Nakamura WT 250 vs WT300

• Thread starter Ox
  • Start date
  • Replies 32
  • Views 2,009
Seeing these photos and videos of a couple different set ups on the WT got me thinking I must be the only odd duck that parts off from the lower turret.

No, my cut-off is done from the lower in most cases.
I would not want to waste a position on a Y axis turret for that.

---------------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

Seeing these photos and videos of a couple different set ups on the WT got me thinking I must be the only odd duck that parts off from the lower turret.
Is there any advantage to doing it that way? Or just a preference?

Is there any advantage to doing it that way? Or just a preference?
To be honest it was just what the tech who trained me on it preferred personally. As far as advantages go i am not sure but Ox did bring up a good point. My holder set up I have currently will smash into the sub spindle sheet metal and collet chuck when transferring so that has to be dealt with with positioning carefully. It was an exhaustive search to find a parting tool that would both fit between the spindles and cover most jobs that run through it.

I run right and left cut-off's.
I don't count on one to fit both apps.
Like today, I am cutting off 1/4" from the sub.

--------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

As this subject came up in another thread today:

I don't think that it was mentioned here so far:

Doo any or all of these lathes use integrated motor/spindles?
Or are they all belt?

--------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

If we didnt already have a good relationship with Citizen/Miyano Nakamura would be our next machine tool builder to look at. Their machines are awesome. The SC100X2 uses superimposition like the Miyano BNX51MSY but also has a lower simple turret. They are calling it the gateway to multi turret machining. Cool looking machine. The new ones look to have some extra proprietary software on top of Fanuc.

As this subject came up in another thread today:

I don't think that it was mentioned here so far:

Doo any or all of these lathes use integrated motor/spindles?
Or are they all belt?

--------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox
Pretty sure most if not all the Nakamuras are belts. They're a bit slower to accelerate/decelerate than the direct drives from Okuma etc, and the C-axis is slower and maybe less precise as a result too (although we get pretty good surface finishes milling in C on ours).

Reactions: Ox
I used to run a 300, accurate and repeatable all day every day...but finniky had the turrets touch in slow motion and it knocked it out of spec. Had to have a tech come out and recalibrate the damn thing.

Interesting.

Doo you recall the issue well yet?
Was it that the turret would not seat anymore?

---------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

Back