I'm a manufacturing engineer with Ursa Major Technologies. I wanted to reach out with an opportunity for an extremely cool job on the front range in Colorado.
We make rocket engines: Home | Ursa Major Tech
We start with DMLS 3D printed nickel alloy and titanium components, and finish, inspect, assemble, and test in-house. We're looking for our first machinist to stand up internal machining operations with a spec'd out DMG Mori 5-axis mill-turn center hosting palletized workholding from Schunk, Lang, and Hainbuch. Leading CAM options would be Hypermill (for mill-turn) or Mastercam (for separate milling & turning centers).
Apply here if interested: Ursa Major Technologies - Senior Aerospace Machinist
The journey to space starts with the engines.
Ursa Major Technologies was founded to bring a new model to space access: one in which every link in an enormous value chain isn't limited by those around it. We design rocket engines and propulsion solutions.
Our products and technologies require an extraordinary team. A team who will mold tomorrow's technologies while deploying today's best. We are comprised of intrinsically motivated individuals who have a passion for solving problems and empower each other every day to develop our skills, knowing that there is always room for growth.
You will own the build-out and operation of 21st century machining capabilities at Ursa Major. You are experienced with a range of machines, controls, CAM softwares and workflows, such that efficient solutions or approaches to never-before-seen manufacturing challenges are clear to you. You will design efficient workholding for complex components, and ensure that workholding and tooling solutions are flexible enough for aerospace product development, and can be scaled for production work. You thrive in a highly dynamic aerospace development environment, and can adapt to changing priorities. When stakes are high, you'll pull through and be sure your team is successful.
You will be part of a fast-paced, focused, and highly cohesive team. Responsibilities will include rapid and informative feedback to Engineering & Design regarding part manufacturability trades & possibilities. Ursa Major Technologies seeks to be the best at what we do, and a drive for rapid learning and improvement is expected of the entire team. You will report to The Advanced Manufacturing & Materials Team.
- Own rapid machining capability build-out at Ursa Major, with future production & automation in mind.
- Programming & machining of critical, tight-tolerance rocket engine components, including 3D printed components.
- Work with challenging alloys (nickel superalloys & titanium).
- Programming for milling & turning operations, operation of mill-turn machines.
- Utilization of probing routines to reduce setup & time required to achieve tight tolerances.
- Ownership of all shop operations including tool & workholding procurement, equipment maintenance, etc.
- Design & implement palletized, modular, or otherwise rapidly interchangeable workholding solutions for intricate components.
- Create part workflows which support the time-efficient development & low volume production of many components on a small number of machines.
- Manage an equipment & tooling applications support base to handle pop-up challenges rapidly.
- Appreciate both engineering & manufacturability challenges, provide impactful manufacturing feedback & guidance to the engineering group.
- Developing and operating finishing processes for unique and difficult part surface finish challenges.
- 5 years experience in an aerospace machining or manufacturing environment
- Experience with CAD software
- Experience with multi-axis & mill-turn machines and programming
- Experience with modern multi-axis CAM packages & toolpath simulation
- Knowledge of modern high speed machining strategies and tooling
- Experience with Titanium and high-Nickel aerospace alloys
- Must be a self-starter - able to interpret high-level organizational goals, plan and then execute to those goals without low-level instruction.
- Must be dedicated to keeping Ursa Major Technologies at the bleeding edge of manufacturing through research into the latest improvements to manufacturing precision, efficiency, and eventually automation.
- Must be humble and able to teach your trade across disciplines in order to solve problems and move the team forward.
- Unlimited PTO - Vacation, Sick, Personal, and Bereavement
- Paid maternity/paternity/adoptive leave
- Medical, dental and vision insurance; STD; Life and AD&D
- Retirement Savings Plan - Traditional 401(k) and a Roth 401(k)
- Company stock options
- US CITIZENSHIP OR PERMANENT RESIDENCY IS REQUIRED.
We're an equal opportunity employer. You will be considered for employment without attention to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran or disability status.
Salary from $75,000/yr, based on experience & abilities