What's new
What's new

Need a Rockstar Machinist for Rocket Engine Components

How many people in here complaining about the money are even qualified for the job? LOL

Good question, but as I stated, I make just slightly less than that doing much simpler work so....???

(ps, I have done 4/5 axis work, worked in prototype military drone engine work, top secret stuff stuff LoL, worked on setting up several shops, domestic and international, paid to travel {domestic and overseas again}, etc etc.....)

edit: and for the traveling/prototype stuff I was close to 80k.... (without doing """rockstar rocket parts"""")

How many people in here complaining about the money are even qualified for the job? LOL
Not me, and at this point in life wouldn't even want to try, but this has me puzzled :

"We make rocket engines: ... We're looking for our first machinist ..."

Umm, what ? what are they using now to make these rocket engines, graduates of the Julia Child Cooking School ? And they are almost to the point of paying their bills ?

Ouch. I'm too old-fashioned for this world.

Not me, and at this point in life wouldn't even want to try, but this has me puzzled :

Umm, what ? what are they using now to make these rocket engines, graduates of the Julia Child Cooking School ? And they are almost to the point of paying their bills ?

Bloom county did a spoof on the Reagan "Star Wars Defense system", they showed $20 bills sewed together, making a giant tarp encircling the world....:D

Thanks for the feedback. I should clarify: $75,000 is starting for this position. This represents the least capable, least experienced candidate we would even possibly consider taking a risk on if they absorbed knowledge & lessons like a sponge and had a killer attitude. We intend to pay commensurate with experience and hit-the-ground-running ability, none of the salary adjustments suggested are unreasonable based on these considerations.

It's a great place to live, less expensive than Denver for sure, and with good benefits. Not for everybody, but hopefully a good opportunity for the right person.

Thanks and regards,

- Austin

For what its worth, with this post you have killed your chance of getting the level person you are looking for. If you are actually looking for a top 1% person you originally stated. Saying starting pay, good place to live etc. Means you have no idea of what hiring a true senior master.
First there is no starting pay, you pay them what they want. They are smart enough to know if they are that good their pay doesn't change if its SF bay area or Mississippi.
I have a daughter who is aerospace engineer and the company ( very large multinational )has to send out their very complicated machining because they can't get the level of skill they need. Offering over twice the money you are taking guys don't want to leave their homes.
Also you are taking about wanting someone with 20 years of skill knowledge but willing to take someone with 5 years experience.
Just my thoughts based on 41 years of shop ownership.

Great question. Currently we're horizontally structured, we've got a very large network of AM & machine shops across the front range and beyond to procure these parts. This structure has supported dozens of engines and 700+ tests so far. To get to the next level, we need to begin to go vertical with some of this capacity.

I think it is a good/great job offer.

Certainly, a guy would not quit a $30+ job to move there if they were content with their current position.

With a lot of skill asked for a candidate might negotiate a different wage.
Likely this worker could be as important as the engineer.
5 years in this field is not very much experience.

Likely prototype CNC and manual machine tool maker and process engineering skills needed.

I'm a hard core Mori fan but not a chance I would risk taking a job at a company with a new Mori 5X mill turn with palletizing right now. No more support from Ellison and trying to get service in Colorado direct from Mori would be a lengthy process. Thats just a recipe for a layoff...

Great question. Currently we're horizontally structured, we've got a very large network of AM & machine shops across the front range and beyond to procure these parts.
In other words, you don't actually make anything at all. You draw stuff up in CAD and have other people build it.

You have no experience in manufacturing, so you don't even really know what you need, but you already bought a machine based on some salesman's spiel, you have no tooling or people who know how to use it and what about measuring ? but you think hiring one guy with five year's experience at less than the going wage and supervised by people who know nothing is going to turn you into a rocket engine builder.

Sounds good to me ....

In other words, you don't actually make anything at all. You draw stuff up in CAD and have other people build it.

You have no experience in manufacturing, so you don't even really know what you need, but you already bought a machine based on some salesman's spiel, you have no tooling or people who know how to use it and what about measuring ? but you think hiring one guy with five year's experience at less than the going wage and supervised by people who know nothing is going to turn you into a rocket engine builder.

Sounds good to me ....

Great question. We inevitably need to work very closely with our vendors to make parts manufacturable, and have had success with this model. Most of our engineers and designers are from larger, newer entrants in the space launch market, where they worked with and physically next to machinists. No machine is on order yet, we're talking with our machining vendors and other shops extensively regarding the considerations for pulling on this capability. We perform 100% inspection, assembly, and test in-house.

We've found that years of experience is just one of many scales to tip in order to select the right candidate.

Thanks and regards,

- Austin

Great question. Currently we're horizontally structured, we've got a very large network of AM & machine shops across the front range and beyond to procure these parts. This structure has supported dozens of engines and 700+ tests so far. To get to the next level, we need to begin to go vertical with some of this capacity.

It's a rocket company. I'd *hope* it wasn't going horizontal...

(sorry could not reisist)

It's a tough crowd here, hang in there. Try indeed as well....

I suspect patents are/would be desirable for a rocket engine company. Likely making your own parts would lend to discovering patentable devices and designs. Likely take a sizable machine complement to do the many tasks.

#26 afeathers1
["Replying" to #22 EG]
"Great question. ..."

Great response, or it might have been if #22 had asked a question.
The 3 "?" in #22 were not questions, IMNSHO, EG may disagree.

#29 EG
"In other words, you don't actually make anything at all. ..."
[Etc]

#30 afeathers1
["Replying" to #29 EG]
"Great question. ..."

Great response, except in #29 there are exactly zero "?" for you to pretend you were asked question(s).
Great response, except you already used "Great question" before and it was a poor response the first time.

EG encapsulated the inadequacies of your approach in very few words.

Advertising for a "Rockstar" on PM?
[NOT a question]

I'm a manufacturing engineer with Ursa Major Technologies. I wanted to reach out with an opportunity for an extremely cool job on the front range in Colorado.

We make rocket engines: Home | Ursa Major Tech We start with DMLS 3D printed nickel alloy and titanium components, and finish, inspect, assemble, and test in-house. We're looking for our first machinist to stand up internal machining operations with a spec'd out DMG Mori 5-axis mill-turn center hosting palletized workholding from Schunk, Lang, and Hainbuch. Leading CAM options would be Hypermill (for mill-turn) or Mastercam (for separate milling & turning centers).

Apply here if interested: Ursa Major Technologies - Senior Aerospace Machinist

The journey to space starts with the engines.

Ursa Major Technologies was founded to bring a new model to space access: one in which every link in an enormous value chain isn't limited by those around it. We design rocket engines and propulsion solutions.

Our products and technologies require an extraordinary team. A team who will mold tomorrow's technologies while deploying today's best. We are comprised of intrinsically motivated individuals who have a passion for solving problems and empower each other every day to develop our skills, knowing that there is always room for growth.

You will own the build-out and operation of 21st century machining capabilities at Ursa Major. You are experienced with a range of machines, controls, CAM softwares and workflows, such that efficient solutions or approaches to never-before-seen manufacturing challenges are clear to you. You will design efficient workholding for complex components, and ensure that workholding and tooling solutions are flexible enough for aerospace product development, and can be scaled for production work. You thrive in a highly dynamic aerospace development environment, and can adapt to changing priorities. When stakes are high, you'll pull through and be sure your team is successful.

You will be part of a fast-paced, focused, and highly cohesive team. Responsibilities will include rapid and informative feedback to Engineering & Design regarding part manufacturability trades & possibilities. Ursa Major Technologies seeks to be the best at what we do, and a drive for rapid learning and improvement is expected of the entire team. You will report to The Advanced Manufacturing & Materials Team.

Primary Responsibilities

- Own rapid machining capability build-out at Ursa Major, with future production & automation in mind.
- Programming & machining of critical, tight-tolerance rocket engine components, including 3D printed components.
- Work with challenging alloys (nickel superalloys & titanium).
- Programming for milling & turning operations, operation of mill-turn machines.
- Utilization of probing routines to reduce setup & time required to achieve tight tolerances.
- Ownership of all shop operations including tool & workholding procurement, equipment maintenance, etc.
- Design & implement palletized, modular, or otherwise rapidly interchangeable workholding solutions for intricate components.
- Create part workflows which support the time-efficient development & low volume production of many components on a small number of machines.
- Manage an equipment & tooling applications support base to handle pop-up challenges rapidly.
- Appreciate both engineering & manufacturability challenges, provide impactful manufacturing feedback & guidance to the engineering group.
- Developing and operating finishing processes for unique and difficult part surface finish challenges.

Desired Qualifications

- 5 years experience in an aerospace machining or manufacturing environment
- Experience with CAD software
- Experience with multi-axis & mill-turn machines and programming
- Experience with modern multi-axis CAM packages & toolpath simulation
- Knowledge of modern high speed machining strategies and tooling
- Experience with Titanium and high-Nickel aerospace alloys

Desired Traits

- Must be a self-starter - able to interpret high-level organizational goals, plan and then execute to those goals without low-level instruction.
- Must be dedicated to keeping Ursa Major Technologies at the bleeding edge of manufacturing through research into the latest improvements to manufacturing precision, efficiency, and eventually automation.
- Must be humble and able to teach your trade across disciplines in order to solve problems and move the team forward.

Benefits Include

- Unlimited PTO - Vacation, Sick, Personal, and Bereavement
- Paid maternity/paternity/adoptive leave
- Medical, dental and vision insurance; STD; Life and AD&D
- Retirement Savings Plan - Traditional 401(k) and a Roth 401(k)
- Company stock options
- US CITIZENSHIP OR PERMANENT RESIDENCY IS REQUIRED.

We're an equal opportunity employer. You will be considered for employment without attention to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran or disability status.

Salary from $75,000/yr, based on experience & abilities

I had a look at your website - very interesting and the team of listed engineers is quite expansive indeed.

Reading through what you guys seem to want; seems to me minimally you need THREE very good machinists that are adept at devising a whole bunch of new techniques. These are basically engineers in their own right that have a ton of machining experience/insight and enough practical creativity / problem solving abilities.

From the sounds of it the pace of work is not insubstantial and how everything ultimately will have to scale is also a substantial challenge.

Honestly you need a department for this not a "One man" shop regardless of $ or automation.

In terms of support processes you are going to need quite a few more machines and operators.

In addition to your 5 axis palletized mill turn set up ; thinking basic 3 axis mills and turning equipment, plus a whole array of equipment more suited to tool and fixture building, so much more precision grinding (Surface and jig grinding, 5 axis tool grinding, + lapping machines) and Wire EDM. hole poppers etc. and related. Maybe even a good horizontal boring machine or very very good 4th axis HMC.

Looked at the assembly diagrams of your new motors/ power plants / "Rocket engines' - VERY interesting ; NICE that someone is taking these more efficient designs forward on US soil.

@feathers1
, how many different parts and part families do you anticipate that your 'Rockstar Machinist" will be responsible for ?

I'm thinking less "Rockstar" but MORE team focused.

@feathers1
Maybe take a look at the kind of folks and job descriptions that Curtiss Wright put out for the kind of "Peeps" you are looking for.

Last edited:
LOL at all the hate. :nutter:

This could be a great opportunity for somebody who isn't a crotchety old man on PM. 75k is definitely low for what you are after, but as long as there is room to grow I'm sure you folks will do just fine. I think you just started with the wrong impression because "rockstar" and "75k/yr" don't belong in the same sentence. People are immediately turned off when you are asking for the best, but offering a salary that might be under median.

It takes balls to actually come in here posting a range and disclosing so much about your company to the peanut gallery. I hope you find your guy or gal!

LOL at all the hate. :nutter:

This could be a great opportunity for somebody who isn't a crotchety old man on PM. 75k is definitely low for what you are after, but as long as there is room to grow I'm sure you folks will do just fine. I think you just started with the wrong impression because "rockstar" and "75k/yr" don't belong in the same sentence. People are immediately turned off when you are asking for the best, but offering a salary that might be under median.

It takes balls to actually come in here posting a range and disclosing so much about your company to the peanut gallery. I hope you find your guy or gal!

I agree,

Not a terrible starting price/salary if someone applying is a 'Wannabe"-'Rockstar". Want's to learn or has time built in to learn.

There's some really intriguing processes to close the gap on between 3d print and fixtures---> Machining processes + inspection techniques. More than just "Probing" some really interesting stuff on the digital frontier and deeper mathematical issues. Especially if production processes for a greater number of propulsion systems has to be developed out of that. Tricky to automate with current or more conventional processes.

Potentially some really advanced stuff there.

Even if the company tanks a few years from now (or conversely is acquired or both) MUCH can be learnt (for someone)/ excellent learning opportunity.

It's one of those business models where they put all their wood behind one set of systems where in fact their nascent machining effort might provide the possibility of broadening out their capabilities. Long term that might be a less risky stratagem.

IME watch out for the 'Rockstar"* concept; if said "Rockstar" leaves (for any number of reasons) then it can take months to fill those shoes and figure out what's going on ~ worse for software development and "Rockstar" programmers. For such a machinist would be wise to make sure everyone above and below know what he or she is really doing.

@feathers1 mentions being "Horizontally integrated" - I can't even imagine what it must be costing them to get 100% of these components for new propulsion systems manufactured externally. Must be ungodly expensive annually.

I can see the logic of progressively moving certain elements in-house just to incrementally cut costs; but I don't see the people they contract to manufacture their existing parts to be too helpful in that regard in how to become more independent.

DMG MORI (locally) [what was Triad] is not too bad at all.

Sounds like whoever they hire will be twiddling their thumbs for a long time before more production oriented equipment arrives etc. Other than going through tons of engineering literature related to their systems.

* Why "Rockstar" ? Why not a "Mozart Machinist" (too expensive) - "EDM maestro " - with a plastic helmet with giant mouse ears or Bhungra star ?

??? machinist.

I had a look at your website - very interesting and the team of listed engineers is quite expansive indeed.

Reading through what you guys seem to want; seems to me minimally you need THREE very good machinists that are adept at devising a whole bunch of new techniques. These are basically engineers in their own right that have a ton of machining experience/insight and enough practical creativity / problem solving abilities.

From the sounds of it the pace of work is not insubstantial and how everything ultimately will have to scale is also a substantial challenge.

Honestly you need a department for this not a "One man" shop regardless of $ or automation.

In terms of support processes you are going to need quite a few more machines and operators.

In addition to your 5 axis palletized mill turn set up ; thinking basic 3 axis mills and turning equipment, plus a whole array of equipment more suited to tool and fixture building, so much more precision grinding (Surface and jig grinding, 5 axis tool grinding, + lapping machines) and Wire EDM. hole poppers etc. and related. Maybe even a good horizontal boring machine or very very good 4th axis HMC.

Looked at the assembly diagrams of your new motors/ power plants / "Rocket engines' - VERY interesting ; NICE that someone is taking these more efficient designs forward on US soil.

@feathers1
, how many different parts and part families do you anticipate that your 'Rockstar Machinist" will be responsible for ?

I'm thinking less "Rockstar" but MORE team focused.

@feathers1
Maybe take a look at the kind of folks and job descriptions that Curtiss Wright put out for the kind of "Peeps" you are looking for.

Thanks for the advice and for interpreting this listing written by a non-machinist. Our need is foremost to solve lead-time challenges with a few key components that end up pacing development efforts. While expensive (but actually pretty reasonable considering the type of aerospace hardware), our vendor base has us covered on every front other than sub-2-week development work.

Eventually we will need more machinists and equipment for sure, however I'm also certain that we need at least one machinist in-house at the point in time that these decisions are being made, shuddering to think of the monstrosity that a full-on manufacturing operation designed completely by engineers might look like. The tools you list were all in-house at a turbomachinery company I used to work at, and would certainly round-out our capabilities down the road.

Additive Manufacturing of metals gets a deservedly bad rap in many applications, however propulsion is one industry where it is having an enormous impact, and has really induced a shift in the way we think about propulsion technology and manufacturing completely. We're excited to be doing this work in the heart of the US.

The machinist would be responsible for around 10 components (primarily) across two engine families that are subject to frequent change and adjustment during development. From there, other parts as possible or necessary.

Thanks and regards,

- Austin

Last full time job I had made aerospace prototype hardware. Turnover was low, as the hourly rate was average for the area, but typical work weeks were 66 hours, so paychecks were quite respectable.

The problem they had was finding replacements when machinists or programmers quit. what they found was 9 out of 10 machinist/programmers didn't make it past the first week. Some didn't make it to the end of the first day. Despite these candidates having great resumes. And this will be your experience, and if that's the case do you or your company know how to evaluate the new Rockstar before you hire him/her? What happens when you hire somebody from California, they move to Colorado, and it's evident they can't even use an edge finder, despite years of cnc experience on their resume?

I know three people who could do the job for you
No1 wouldn't get out of bed for less than $125K.
No2 would work for you, probably end up in a fist fight with somebody in the first week, almost impossible to work with. Still lives with his mother, that's if he isn't in jail.
No3 just moved from Seattle to head up the shop at a start up in Vegas. Not going to want to move again for what your likely going to want to pay him.

Back