What's new
What's new

Need experienced opinions on buying a used machine Excel pmc-5t18

alexprz

Plastic
So, I'm new to using CNC machines and learning as I go. I have experience using industrial 3d printers but I need to buy a CNC for my shop. From all the experienced machinist here, what do you think are the most important things to look for when buying a used machine? Also, is an Excel PMC-5T18 a good machine? I've only seen a couple reviews(opinions) on these machines, basically saying that they are good but no where near the quality of a HAAS. I would like quality parts when machining but I understand there will be issues that go along with a used machine. I mainly just want to get something low cost that can make parts without compromising quality. The other reason I have my eye on this machine is that its close to me and its 6k. The guy selling it says its making parts now and is working. Any help would be appreciated. in advance I apologize if my wording isn't correct in describing anything related to CNC machines, but I'm learning.

Attachments

• 20947.jpg
    20947.jpg
    922.9 KB · Views: 13

Milling man

Aluminum
So, I'm new to using CNC machines and learning as I go. I have experience using industrial 3d printers but I need to buy a CNC for my shop. From all the experienced machinist here, what do you think are the most important things to look for when buying a used machine? Also, is an Excel PMC-5T18 a good machine? I've only seen a couple reviews(opinions) on these machines, basically saying that they are good but no where near the quality of a HAAS. I would like quality parts when machining but I understand there will be issues that go along with a used machine. I mainly just want to get something low cost that can make parts without compromising quality. The other reason I have my eye on this machine is that its close to me and its 6k. The guy selling it says its making parts now and is working. Any help would be appreciated. in advance I apologize if my wording isn't correct in describing anything related to CNC machines, but I'm learning.
Ideally, you should check the geometrical accuracy of the machine before buying, but at this price it's a "take it and run" offer :) Inspect the machine from all sides, make sure all the main components are in place - coolant pumps, conveyor, etc. Try out the basic functions - movements in all axes, turning the spindle in different directions, changing tools. Estimate at least a hand heating of a spindle. Inspect the cables that you see - if they are broken by shavings or something else. Try changing the tool from different places in the tool store.