What's new
What's new

Need help from the forum. Need pic of BP Shaper on scale

CPM2014

Cast Iron
I am getting overcharged by my shipper on shipping a BP shaper. I marked the weight as 180lbs and Im getting charged for 280. Can someone take a pic of their shaper on a scale to show weight? Thanks for the help in advance!!

-Chris

I am getting overcharged by my shipper on shipping a BP shaper. I marked the weight as 180lbs and Im getting charged for 280. Can someone take a pic of their shaper on a scale to show weight? Thanks for the help in advance!!

-Chris

i have used fork trucks that gave a weight reading of whats on the forks including the pallet that a part might be on.
not unusual to be 50 lbs off. it is just to give a rough weight measurement as some parts hard to tell how heavy they are. they are also crane scales that hang from crane hook to pickup part to find weight.
i believe a scale once below 10% of maximum tend to be not that accurate. 10 ton scale not too accurate for items below 1 ton for example

If it is the shipper then tell him to weigh it. If you are talking about the carrier then the weight might be bumped to a minimum charge.

If it is the shipper then tell him to weigh it. If you are talking about the carrier then the weight might be bumped to a minimum charge.

No, It is not a minimum charge issue. There was mis-weighed and I need to prove what it actually weighs. I have looked for Bridgeport literature for a stated weight but all catalogs do not list weight

Obviously if the sender put it on a pallet or built a heavy crate (Well worth the extra cost of shipping, believe me on this) he may have over estimated the weight to be "safe". He should have weighed it. We have a cheap ebay crane hook scale which uses a transducer to show weight, for under 150 lbs we have a USPS electronic scale, weight the crate and add that to the published weight (Which also may include crate weight!) or best yet take something off the shaping head and weight parts plus the crate. I agree with you that the seller being "safe" can cost the buyer more than he should have to pay.
I envy you owning a shaping head though, many times I could use one, but owning several shapers means using them instead. A shaper head over a DRO table makes a lot of sense to me.

Obviously if the sender put it on a pallet or built a heavy crate (Well worth the extra cost of shipping, believe me on this) he may have over estimated the weight to be "safe". He should have weighed it. We have a cheap ebay crane hook scale which uses a transducer to show weight, for under 150 lbs we have a USPS electronic scale, weight the crate and add that to the published weight (Which also may include crate weight!) or best yet take something off the shaping head and weight parts plus the crate. I agree with you that the seller being "safe" can cost the buyer more than he should have to pay.
I envy you owning a shaping head though, many times I could use one, but owning several shapers means using them instead. A shaper head over a DRO table makes a lot of sense to me.

I am the one who shipped it. I weighed the item when I crated it. The person I shipped it to does not have a scale so I am left to try and prove weight. I can see a fluctuation of 10 or so percent but this is almost 100% off. Price to ship went from $120 to $526!! Apparently, once your weight is different than the weight on your quote, they automatically bill you at regular rates at adjusted weight. Its a racket.

I am the one who shipped it. I weighed the item when I crated it. The person I shipped it to does not have a scale so I am left to try and prove weight. I can see a fluctuation of 10 or so percent but this is almost 100% off. Price to ship went from $120 to $526!! Apparently, once your weight is different than the weight on your quote, they automatically bill you at regular rates at adjusted weight. Its a racket.

I've fought that battle and lost. Tried a credit card chargeback, lost that too, after escalating the dispute 3 times. Even pointed out that what they billed me didn't match the receipt that they sent, showing the additional charge. All that got from the card company was a one time 'courtesy refund' of the difference between the charged amount and the receipt amount.

They have a picture of your crate on their scale. Any picture you send will need to be that same crate, not the item in it. You'll need to have recent scale certs of that scale as well.

Manufacturers weight won't help anything, because the remainder of the weight was 'packaging and crating.'

Freight companies are in the business of extortion - moving crates is just a cover. You can search PM and find all kind of stories, and even the brokers (Freightquote and whatnot) will reluctantly admit that it's commonplace as well. Freight companies have far surpassed Comcast as my most hated company.

I have been tempted (but never followed through due to time constraints) to get a quote for the freight cost, run out and buy a prepaid VISA in an amount about $5 more, then pay with that. Knowing my luck, it'd probably get sent to collections, and ding my credit.

Perhaps (For future reference) one could send it contingent on the weight being as listed, ie, assuming you know your local shipper and can talk with them, ask them to weigh the crate and contents before loading it, and call you if the weight is off.

I know our local trucking company would do that for me. But being in a small town means people don't want to earn a bad reputation.

Back