What's new
What's new

Need Help! kitamura mycenter zero Y+ overtravel error

Spikee

Plastic
Hi ALL, I recently acquired a Kitamura Mycenter zero which i want to use for my hobby.
I turned the machine on for the first time yesterday and after a slight adjustment of the Y limit i got it all to work ran code etc.

Today i wanted to start it again and same issue when homing Y. I assumed a slight adjustment was needed again but that did not help.
On the kitamura you can adjust the home and overtravel locations so i tried to spread them further apart but that did not help either.
I made a video of what happens:

it seems to find the home switch as it slows down when it detects it; after that it should keep moving till it finds the index of the servo and than it is done from what i understand.
I don't have the full manual so I don't have any reference material for it. It has not reached the end of the y axis home "ramp" yet I get the Y axis overtravel error. Very confusing.

Anybody happen to know more about this and perhaps able to send me in the right direction to fix this?

Edit: fanuc 0m control

thanks,
Spikee

Last edited:
Do the limit switches work correctly? As in they are not sticky. I have had mine do weird things when the first switch doesn't return quickly enough as it nears the home switch.

Do the limit switches work correctly? As in they are not sticky. I have had mine do weird things when the first switch doesn't return quickly enough as it nears the home switch.
I chatted with the previous owner and he mentioned that this is a soft limit which you can fix by starting up with CAN + P pressed on startup. I tried tgat last night but that did not fix it. I need to figure out how to check the status of the switch io. Im starting to feel that it is sticky.

I would start by applying a light grease to the plungers and cycle the plungers with a soft stick. Normally this works but on my Kitamura the Y axis switch housing is mounted with the vent on top so it filled up with coolant and had to be torn apart to get it working again, and move the vent.

For a Fanuc 0m control, you can see the state of the reference return deceleration button by looking at diagnostic parameter 17 bit 5 (xx1xxxxx) for the Y axis. I believe x and z are 16 bit 5 and 18 bit 5, respectively.

When it travels towards home, it should hit the switch and change to a 1. it should then take a bit (maybe 3/4" of travel) before the dog should come off that switch. When it does, it should change back to 0

ONLY AFTER IT CHANGES BACK TO 0 will it look for the "home pulse" on the motor (not sure what fanuc calls it). if the switch is sticky or defective, it will remain a 1 even once it's not being pushed anymore.

you can try to oil it if it doesn't move nicely, but the button that you push in and out isn't the actual switch, its just a plunger. So if it moves in and out nicely, the actual switch inside is possibly damaged. Or the switch unit is filled with coolant or gunk.

fyi, The switch box has 2 switches, the 2nd being a hard overtravel switch that if you push it activates the e-stop.

Last edited:
For a Fanuc 0m control, you can see the state of the reference return deceleration button by looking at diagnostic parameter 17 bit 5 (xx1xxxxx) for the Y axis. I believe x and z are 16 bit 5 and 18 bit 5, respectively.

When it travels towards home, it should hit the switch and change to a 1. it should then take a bit (maybe 3/4" of travel) before the dog should come off that switch. When it does, it should change back to 0

ONLY AFTER IT CHANGES BACK TO 0 will it look for the "home pulse" on the motor (not sure what fanuc calls it). if the switch is sticky or defective, it will remain a 1 even once it's not being pushed anymore.

you can try to oil it if it doesn't move nicely, but the button that you push in and out isn't the actual switch, its just a plunger. So if it moves in and out nicely, the actual switch inside is possibly damaged. Or the switch unit is filled with coolant or gunk.

fyi, The switch box has 2 switches, the 2nd being a hard overtravel switch that if you push it activates the e-stop.
Yes i got it finally to work. I just went to pos in the control and you can see where it thinks home is. I moved the dog so it matches with ehat the machine thinks it should be.End of dog is 5mm from what the machine thinks is home. After that it was all fixed.

Now i need to figure out how to get the atc to work 🫠 thanks for all the tips here!

For kitamura, when you are at point D your axis home should be at 4-6mm assuming 10mm ballscrew pitch.

i just moved the dog assembly to match that and it works fine.
20240113_163400.jpg

Back