What's new
What's new

Need help machining a seal housing for a unavailable crank seal

HappySailor

Plastic
Hey Ya'll

I have a friend from a sailing forum who is in a bind !

He needs a new rear main seal for an old Westerbeke engine that is mfg by Mitsubishi ... Long story short is that he CANNOT source this part anywhere after a prolonged attempt... My suggestion was to machine a new housing so he could pop in a common seal...

Anybody willing to help this guy out by stepping out to the garage/shop and turning a part?

Don't have the dimensions, but I assume about 4.5 max OD, 3.5 seal OD x 0.5? I also would assume any material would work...

THANKS!!!

post reply, PM, or best = email directly integritytesting at gmail dot com

Attachments

• Westerbeke rear main seal .jpg
    Westerbeke rear main seal .jpg
    33.1 KB · Views: 391
Your first step is to engrave contact information, address, phone number etc. on that piece, and start shopping it around, locally, with a bearing seal that fits the journal, etc.

I suggest engraving contact information on the part, since you don't want it misplaced, tossed, or converted into a paperweight.

"Any material" isn't a good idea for salt water, though that part shouldn't be getting wet, it might.

Your first step is to engrave contact information, address, phone number etc. on that piece, and start shopping it around, locally, with a bearing seal that fits the journal, etc.

I suggest engraving contact information on the part, since you don't want it misplaced, tossed, or converted into a paperweight.

"Any material" isn't a good idea for salt water, though that part shouldn't be getting wet, it might.

Hi Steve,

Thanks for your reply!
Great idea on engraving the info, I already had concerns about losing said example... If getting a new seal is impossible... Can you imagine how hard it would be to come by an old worn out piece for an exemplar??? :crazy:

There really shouldn't be too many corrosion issues, as this piece is encased in the bell housing of the tranny... But... Of course more corrosion resistant the better... I think 6061 or would be fine or good 'ol mild steel... Boats are a big enough wallet vacuum without making every part "the best possible"

Thanks again for your help!
Ed

HA HA!!!

Ya'll are killin' me... Thanks for the laughs...

UPDATE= The correct seal might be en route, meaning he wouldn't need to have a flange mount machined...

Will post conclusion...

Now off to research my 707 compressor problem... ***sigh***
Does it ever end???

Thank You all who replied, including the email inquiries... My friend actually found and received an OEM assembly that was supposed to be unavailable... I appreciate the time taken to help with this option, should he have needed it!

Back