What's new
What's new

Need help picking out a new machine.

PrecisionLead

Plastic
I've been tasked with finding a new vertical mill that can out-perform a Johnford Super vertical. The boss says he was recommended a 2006 HAAS VF2 but I want to hear some feed back on this suggestion. I've reached out to some of the leading CNC manufacturers to get their recommendations for what machines they offer in the hopes of finding a comparable machine. So, what medium sized mill would you suggest to add to a shop that primarily cuts 316L?
Looking for sufficient Z travel for milling the tops of our 24" vessels too.

There are many, many machines that can out perform that mill.
The 24" height... how long of a tool are you using in that operation because that could be an issue on a lot of machines.
Also what is your budget?

Change your thread description so people know what your asking about.
and @ what price?, used, new.....
with a 24" Z machine capability you would need a VF6 not a VF2 if thats what you implied with the "Looking for sufficient Z travel for milling the tops of our 24" vessels too."

There are many, many machines that can out perform that mill.
The 24" height... how long of a tool are you using in that operation because that could be an issue on a lot of machines.
Also what is your budget?
Change your thread description so people know what your asking about.
and @ what price?, used, new.....
with a 24" Z machine capability you would need a VF6 not a VF2 if thats what you implied with the "Looking for sufficient Z travel for milling the tops of our 24" vessels too."
The machining that's going to get done to the 24" vessel is face milling, spot, drill, and tapped. Unfortunately this has to be done last to maintain the tolerances called out on the print. As for budget, I am told to keep it under $60k but I will be meeting with our owners next week to and pitch to them what we really need in the shop.

I appreciate the quick replies!

Last edited:
The machining that's going to get done to the 24" vessel is face milling, spot, drill, and tapped. Unfortunately this has to be done last to maintain the tolerances called out on the print. As for budget, I am told the boss is trying to keep it under $60k but I am meeting with our owners next week to try and pitch to them what we really need in the shop.

I appreciate the quick replies!
You might benefit from looking at a used horizontal if you're drilling and tapping 24" tall parts.
What is the distance from the spindle to the end of your drill, assuming that's the longest tool you'll be using. If they're all stubby, then a vertical should do it.

You might benefit from looking at a used horizontal if you're drilling and tapping 24" tall parts.
What is the distance from the spindle to the end of your drill, assuming that's the longest tool you'll be using. If they're all stubby, then a vertical should do it.
Agree, I was thinking the same, If I need larger stuff and the 24" Z
I would look at horizontal, but the $60k is pretty bad!

To caution against a Haas, 2006 is before OR right at their Next Gen control. They will not support those older machines.

Maybe a Haas guy could confirm the year.

To caution against a Haas, 2006 is before OR right at their Next Gen control. They will not support those older machines.
You are very much correct that 2006 is to be avoided unless it's super cheap but, that's not even Next Gen control after that. NGC didn't come until 2012 or 2013 IIRC. The earliest to buy that don't have abandoned control parts are the 15" display machines that came out in 2007. The quick way to know: if it has an analog spindle load meter next to the screen, it's obsolete and repairs will be difficult (and not through Haas).

Back