What's new
What's new

Need help with a Bridgeport Shaping head clapper spring.

nc5a

Aluminum
I'm rebuilding a Bridgeport Model E shaping head that is missing the flat spring for the clapper. Initially I thought it would be a slam dunk building it, especially since I had flat spring material on hand. However, as I found out that's not the case. So I'm hoping someone on this forum has the same model E head and would be kind enough to post a photo of the spring. I have the parts manual with the exploded view but the clarity is very poor and I can't tell what the spring looks like. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance

ecosta

Aluminum
Wish I saw this last night! I literally just had the clapper box on mine apart to clean it up. I would have taken a picture of the spring.

I'm also curious, because mine appeared to be a homemade replacement, but I wasn't sure. It seemed a little stiff for a clapper box, but I have no experience with the E head. I haven't used mine yet, I'm in the middle of restoring it.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

nc5a

Aluminum
Update: A friend in Connecticut took his Bridgeport shaping head clapper box apart and measured the flat spring. Attached are photos and dimensions of the spring in case anyone else wants to make one.

2.176" long
0.723" wide
0.065" thick
0.3615" radius on one end
0.166" diameter hole 0.243" from radius end and centered width wise.
Bend the flat spring 0.750" from the radius end so that when longest part of the spring is laid flat the tip of the radius end is 0.250" high.

Obviously there is some wiggle room with these dimensions. The width of the relief in the clapper is 0.750" so 0.723" is a good width for clearance. Thickness is another good dimension to stick with as is the location of the hole which fixes the spring to clapper body with a 8-32 round head machine screw.

3Fgboy9.jpg

Cq2Q9A5.jpg

VbQEl8p.jpg

abmemGa.jpg