What's new
What's new

Need help with my new 10EE

If I can't find flange or C-clip angular bearing, like Cal suggests, I'm think about pressing out the inside part of the bearing, cleaning out the internal part of the shoulder, and installing a bearing inside of it. Thoughts?

Cal, do you know what angle the bearings are ? I would guess lower rather than higher but that is a complete guess. Dave
The manual doesn't give the angle. A quick review suggests that they had 3 series of angular-contact bearings: the 0L00 series, which are described as "extra light"; the 20,000 series (which is what the leadscrew shaft uses) are described as "designed to resist heavy combined radial and thrust loads"; and the 30,000 series, described as "designed for very heavy, single direction thrust loads and when so used with the loads not subject to reversal of direction". Eyeballing the diagrams in the manual: the 0L00 series angle is about 15 degrees, the 20,000 series about 25 degrees and the 30,000 about 35 degrees.

A quick search on eBay turns up Delco H20303, QH20303 and UH20303 bearings. (New Departure was a division of General motors, as is Delco.) I have no idea what the H, QH and UH prefixes mean (the seller might know). One listing shows a picture of an H20303 bearing and it doesn't have a flange. Someone on this forum ground a snap-ring groove in a bearing, but I doubt it was for this application. Modifing a bearing to use a snap ring and modifying the counterbore in the casting, if necessary, is an option if all else fails.

Guys, I'm going to machine hubs, that I will press new angular contact bearings in to. My question is, what material do you suggest I make the hubs out of? Think just some 4140 would be fine?

A quick search on eBay turns up Delco H20303, QH20303 and UH20303 bearings. (New Departure was a division of General motors, as is Delco.) I have no idea what the H, QH and UH prefixes mean (the seller might know). One listing shows a picture of an H20303 bearing and it doesn't have a flange. Someone on this forum ground a snap-ring groove in a bearing, but I doubt it was for this application. Modifing a bearing to use a snap ring and modifying the counterbore in the casting, if necessary, is an option if all else fails.
FYI:
From the 19th ND Hand Book, 1948, page. 94 list prefixes for
single row angular contact bearings as:

H = 25 degree Contact Angle
Q = Non-metallic separator
V = Bronze separator
N = Integral Locating Flange on outer ring

From the 23rd Edition of the Hand Book, on pages 62, 63 and 71
Q = Non-metallic separator and V (page 71 only) V = Bronze Separator.

Hope that helps.

Last edited:
Guys

I’m having a hard time installing this cover and honestly I’m thinking about leaving it off all together. Anyone know what it’s actually for? Think it’ll be ok if I leave off?

01449F1B-0CAB-4BD3-8839-58B22D626F8C.jpeg

FWIW the CVA version does not have a cover over the bearing on this end.

LS_Shaft.jpg

I did not take the bearings out on mine because of the potential difficulty in finding replacements, but I'm intrigued by the flanged bearing. I might just take my spare gearbox apart to see what CVA did here. Is it the general opinion that these odd bearings were made specially for Monarch?
In the UK my favorite bearing supplier has a range of A/C bearings with matching dimensions but without the flange.

Glad to hear that the cone shaft and tumbler gears arrived. Are they the same as the Monarch ones you removed?

Hey all, can you tell me the type of fasteners used at this location on your machines? SHCS or hex? If SHCS, do the holes have a shoulder to seat the head?

C70CC23C-7A23-4F14-8248-5D849D5672EA.jpegDB50956C-9AC1-4C24-B5DD-406FF89186EE.jpeg

I think all the 10EE folks must be Christmas shopping!

On the CVA they are socket head cap screws. Monarch probably the same.
The casting has been spot-faced but it's not a deep counterbore. So it looks just like yours in this respect.

1670154171471.png
HTH.

Martin.

Hey guys, I’m debating on where to start and stop the white/black color on the apron. Would you guys mind posting pictures of your painted aprons?

6AFB347F-E043-4BB9-8EC1-5C4EA0BFDAA6.jpeg2BF1818B-7D78-4700-8519-D4D4E574CE81.jpeg

My CVA was grey on the front and red on the back, but I could not remember where the color changed!
So it ended up all the same. Sorry that's probably not much help. Anyway pics:

ApronPaint1.jpg

All the insides and places where oil might accumulate were painted with an oil resistant paint. I should really have spent the money and got some Glyptal but the smallest can I could buy (US Quart IIRC) was large and and expensive. As far as I know it's only available in red and I would prefer a brighter color to make assembly a bit easier. Someone over here suggested a water based two pack epoxy which might have been OK if I had primed the cast iron first. I didn't and about 5 minutes after application it was covered in streaks of rust! Why didn't I think to prime it first?

The outsides were all painted after assembly and as its all brush painted I didn't need to mask as much as for spraying.

ApronPaint2.jpg

ApronPaint3.jpg

Back