What's new
What's new

need info re drying compressor air for airbrushing

Marty Feldman

Titanium
We use a small low-end oilless air compressor, something along the lines of this 1-gal job, to operate a Noga coolmister on one of the shop machines.
air compressor.jpg
For the purpose of using the compressor to power a small handheld pencil type airbrush, which uses even less cfpm than the mister, it would be desireable to fit an air drier to the compressor output. Don't need a $300 cabinet drier, just something cheap and small that connects easily into the line. Where does one go to look into what we need? If you have any suggestions about features & models, that would be most appreciated.

-Marty-

While I am not a fan of the place, Harbor freight sells a small inexpensive refringent type air drier.
One of my employees has one at his home shop, been working good for a few years now. On another note, I like the canister (toilet paper air filters) but there more for air filtration then air drying.

First step install a storage tank in series with the air flow. The old surplus stainless oxygen tanks with a fitting at each end would be ideal. Jut make sure to plumb it so air flows through the tank not just circulates near the only port.
Bill D

For the miscule flow of an airbrush, the chemical cartridge approach is good. Put a tap on the line before all the large consumers draw their air.

I presume Jim is suggesting a silica-gel dryer. That's what I'd recommend for a low-flow treatment. Nothing gets air drier than a properly fitted and maintained silica-gel, and maintenance wouldn't be a big deal for airbrush use. Plus, it never wears out. You can keep a baked charge bagged up and just switch out the media as required.

Two word..... "Gas Laws"
Store air at as high a pressure and low a temp as possible.
Use air at as low a pressure and high a temperature as practical
Purge moisture out of the storage receiver often

Back