What's new
What's new

Need some advice on turning Nylon 6/6 30% glass fiber

Pancake221

Plastic
Hello this is my first post here!
I'm gonna start a job soon and I've nver turned any plastics so I'm not sure on what tooling I should use. is flood coolant okay? will the chips/dust be harmful to it?
I'm taking a .08 thou cut per side, I'm machining in a swiss lathe and the length of the part doesn't allow for a finish pass. I see some folks saying to use a polished carbide insert with a high SFM and some say use HHS and a low SFM. any help is greatly appriciated, Thanks!

DavidScott

Titanium
Use a polished carbide insert for aluminum and expect some pretty extreme wear on the insert. The trick to machining plastic is to run the SFM as slow as cosmetics allow while maintaining a high feed rate. Plastic is different than metal, don't assume you know anything because you have machined metal. With that much glass you might not get stringers so try continuous feeding first. I would use coolant but I would also not machine glass filled anything in my machines because of how abrasive it is to the machines and getting that shit in my skin. I have done it enough to know to avoid it.

The parts may swell a little from the water but not by much, as long as it is normalized and not freshly extruded. What are your tolerances?

Dan from Oakland

Titanium
Use a polished carbide insert for aluminum and expect some pretty extreme wear on the insert. The trick to machining plastic is to run the SFM as slow as cosmetics allow while maintaining a high feed rate. Plastic is different than metal, don't assume you know anything because you have machined metal. With that much glass you might not get stringers so try continuous feeding first. I would use coolant but I would also not machine glass filled anything in my machines because of how abrasive it is to the machines and getting that shit in my skin. I have done it enough to know to avoid it.

The parts may swell a little from the water but not by much, as long as it is normalized and not freshly extruded. What are your tolerances?
If this is a short run, just live with a lot of tool wear from the glass. If its a repeat job or your tools are wearing out way too quickly, DLC coating the tools or using a diamond coated tool will help tremendously. Its the glass that's your enemy, not the nylon.

MaxPrairie

Hot Rolled
I would run coolant for the sake of knocking down any dust that may be floating in the air. You don’t need to be breathing that.

latheman78

Hot Rolled
If my memory serves me correctly your issues are going to be burrs, do note haven't ran any of that in 15 years or so. I recall using a 45 degree form tools to break corners, instead of generating. Relying on the same memory I think 6-12 nylon is much easier to run on a lathe.