What's new
What's new

Need some help. New Departure Handbook?

Darren McCarley

Cast Iron
Im resurrecting Wade 8a and need some help on some bearings. There are 2 of these and as near as I can measure (calipers) they are
New Departure
ENDEE 88502
OD is 1.376”
ID is .586”
Width of outer race is .43"
Width of inner race is .565"
They are sealed

Any help would be appreciated.

My Dad's 1952 N-D Handbook lists an 88502 bearing as a double-sealed 15-mm bore, 35-mm OD, 14.4-mm inner ring width, maybe 0.433" outer ring width and [email protected]" balls. The width is probably oddball relative to current bearings, but the ID and OD should be common in the form of a normal single row radial bearing. I don't have an explanation for the ENDEE code.

I cease to be impressed by the knowledge and willingness to help of the members of this site. Now if I can just find a couple of replacements... :)

Thank yall

In other words what you have goes against what they offered later - sealed bearings simply were not offered as precision class (the ABEC5 business) at some point prior to October 1950

Bodes not well at all in trying to exactly replace them in these modern times

As an example of the relative importance of ABEC 5 - is that P&W thought that such a precision class was exactly the right ones for spindle bearings for thousands of marvelous tool room lathes they made - also with even more exotic New Departure bearings

Like here...

New Departure NM.jpg

I had looked quickly in in my Mar 1954 edition and hadn't found the letter designations found by John.
There are a few earlier editions of this 1943 edition on line listed here as well as other New Departure Publications
Catalog Record: New departure hand book | HathiTrust Digital Library
Jim

Outstanding! I never thought I'd find a manual, much less one online. Thank you!
Interesting note:
While the bearing is stamped ENDEE, I believe this is a phonetic spelling of the literal "ND" . Page 64 of the manual linked above discusses "ND" bearings of the "8000" type. Pretty amazing coincidence? I think not. The manual goes on to discuss the outer/inner ring width differences. (Another confirmation.)
BOOM! Page 71, about 1/2 way down the page.

88502 - Width - .5669, Seal Width - .493
My calipers/eyes may need some calibration. :)

I believe this confirms my ENDEE = ND assumption?

Interesting numbering system as well. (I'm a novice in bearings). Per page 119, I believe the numbering is right to left. Therefore, 88502 is
02 - Bore size (Will have to look that up)
5 - non-loading groove light series
88 - ND Seal/shield, both sides

Special note. The Telegraphic codes are a bit of an eye opener for me. I'm a software developer by education/trade/training and have worked with EDI for YEARS. It fascinates me to see how the "state of the time" technology was used in procurement and fulfillment. Assuming that is the intent of the codes found on page 107 ~ 116.

Thanks again for the great resource and education! There's ALWAYS so much more to the, seemingly, simple things,

In other words what you have goes against what they offered later - sealed bearings simply were not offered as precision class (the ABEC5 business) at some point prior to October 1950

Bodes not well at all in trying to exactly replace them in these modern times

As an example of the relative importance of ABEC 5 - is that P&W thought that such a precision class was exactly the right ones for spindle bearings for thousands of marvelous tool room lathes they made - also with even more exotic New Departure bearings

Like here...

View attachment 328078

Too true. However, there is some hope. These bearings support a pulley used for the flat belt. The pulley is of cast aluminum with a huge amount of internal space. the only REAL critical dimensions, if I want to reuse this pulley, is the OD of the bearings. They should JUST press fit into the pulley.
Best case, find the bearings I need with exact bore and OD, etc
Worse case, I could turn another pulley, shaft, spacers, etc.
Compromise - Find a bearing that fits the pulley and is sealed and then turn a shaft to fit the "modern" bearing bore. (Assuming properties of the bearings fit the application.)
Also, finally got around to getting some pictures. (Sorry.)

(Click thumbnails to be taken to an off site image hosting. Ad warning.)

Pulley and shaft I'm talking about

Bearing images from my cruddy phone camera.

I have a spare bearing here, it's not a ND manufacture. MAde by Consolidated Bearing 88502 is the number on mine. The inner race is wider than the outer race is. Looks like a shielded bearing. I bought two of these for replacements to one on my Rockwell router, this was about 25 years ago. I'm sure the ABEC rating is a 3 at most. Definitely a high speed bearing. I'm sure it is available as such. I doubt anyone will have it in a class 5 or better for your needs. Ken

I have a spare bearing here, it's not a ND manufacture. MAde by Consolidated Bearing 88502 is the number on mine. The inner race is wider than the outer race is. Looks like a shielded bearing. I bought two of these for replacements to one on my Rockwell router, this was about 25 years ago. I'm sure the ABEC rating is a 3 at most. Definitely a high speed bearing. I'm sure it is available as such. I doubt anyone will have it in a class 5 or better for your needs. Ken

Small world! I was raised in Victoria. Shields, Howell, and VHS. Good times. ;) Thanks for the potential cross reference. I'll lookup CB 88502 and see if there is a correlation.

I haven't kept up with all the name changes and buyouts of the bearing companies lately .
I would think that there should be a close enough bearing available from some source that will fit your need.
I am lucky to have a local industrial supply house that has been around for a long time .
They have been able to cross reference and source many odd bearings for me from various suppliers.
Perhaps there is one local to you that you could take your sample into that could match you up with something .
I found I had a similar off set one side bearing the next size larger in my collection WC88503 .
It has Bower /BCA Bearings Division of Federal Mogul marked on the box so there is another name to compare with if they haven't been merged with someone else.
I googled the bearing number and noticed this in my results that you could compare with .
WC88502 Ball Bearing | WC88502 Bearing - 0.5906"x1.3780"x0.500"
Jim

It has been some time since I bought any bearings but I seem to recall that this style of off set bearing were considerably more expensive than the more common ordinary 6202 or 6203 bearings of similar OD. and bore that we might now find made in China on line for a dollar or two .
Jim

Just a little added note here: My old bearing interchange guide, 1973-74 edition, shows three different variations of this bearing with the same base number among manufactures back then. The variations were the inner race extended out on both sides of the bearing, most common, just one side, and offset to one side extended outward. The latter two, I've never ran across before in any machinery rebuilding encountered.

Too true. However, there is some hope. These bearings support a pulley used for the flat belt. The pulley is of cast aluminum with a huge amount of internal space. the only REAL critical dimensions, if I want to reuse this pulley, is the OD of the bearings. ...

Pulley and shaft I'm talking about

We all probably thought these bearings were something critical like spindle bearings.
This pulley idler is wide open tolerance, any bearing can be adapted.
When you said you were restoring a Wade 8a lathe, that might have implied something
precision like spindle bearings. But this application is not.
It would have saved a lot of go-around if you had mentioned this on the front end.

---Doozer

Back