What's new
What's new

Need source for 60 degree included tapered end mill

DDoug

Diamond
Parts are done now. The shaping worked great.

I could have saved about 45 minutes using a square end mill. A lot of attention and extra programming time required with this method to blend the 30 degree side walls with the floor of the cut and the parts maybe not quite so nice. Cutters of course cheap.

Could have saved about 1.25 hours using a 60 degree included angle end mill with .130 minor diameter. Cutters were $130 each minimum 3 pcs so $390 total.

Used a topnotch ntp3r insert ground to .130 tip flat at a cost of $130 for holder and insert and about a half hour to grind.

So shaping was the way to go for 150 pcs with last time I ran the parts over 5 years ago. The topnotch insert will hang in there for maybe 1000 pcs I think.

Maybe someday will run big enough qty to justify a custom milling cutter.

Thanks for all the ideas!

How about a pix or 2 of the finished part ?

michiganbuck

Diamond
Hey guys I need a couple of square end tapered carbide end mills about .125 small diameter, 60 degree included angle, 6mm to 10mm shank inch sizes ok. I have a RFQ pending with Harvey Tool and will talk to Conical Tool tomorrow to see what they have. MSC has one in stock but it is $223 and I'd sure like a cheaper option. Can't use a chamfer tool it has to end cut.

Anybody know of other good sources?

Thanks!

I think it would have better to post the part needs upfront.

I have to make a 304 SS part that needs a straight groove xx deep and xx wide with 60* sides

Or what ever the part migh be.

Last edited:

guythatbrews

Cast Iron
I think it would have better to post the part needs upfront.

I have to make a 304 SS part that needs a straight grove xx deep and xx wide with 60* sides

Or what ever the part migh be.

Duly noted.

My second post did describe the cut but should have been in the first. If not for NDA and ITAR would have included snippet of the drawing!

guythatbrews

Cast Iron
So as I said can't post pics of the part but here is the shaping tool. About no wear I can do a zillion parts with it. Since it was a 3 gage insert thought I'd have plenty of flank left by the numbers but I forgot the intial point of the tool is not in the middle of the insert. Only had about .005 flank left above the cut so I got lucky:)

Attachments

• SHAPING TOOL.jpg
    SHAPING TOOL.jpg
    75.6 KB · Views: 17