What's new
What's new

Need suggestion for Northern California coolant disposal companies

Matt@RFR

Titanium
We're a small shop just outside of Chico, and we use coolant with super long sump life, so this is the first time we are needing to dispose of any amount of coolant. We just had our sumps changed to a different coolant, so we've got about 200 gallons that need to go away.

Don't bother suggesting to boil it or evap it or recycle it or anything else. It just needs to go away.

We've spoken to a couple companies who told us we need an EPA number and that our barrels need to be DOT approved so they can take them away. We're applying for a temporary EPA number now. I was hoping they would pump the barrels out but it looks like we'll have to buy more barrels. Whatever, they are pretty cheap.

Do any of you locals have companies you suggest?

What are they going to charge you per gallon to get rid of it, just curious? Fortunately where I am at you can get rid of all kids of toxic waste for free up to 5 gallons at a time. The two sumps I have are only 25 gallons each, and I have no trash pick up, so I frequent the dump, but it is free of charge.

Only quote so far is $225/drum, no pre-inspection. That's to haul off our drums, so another $25/drum plus time and fuel to go buy new (used) drums.

Yikes! Most of the time when I change coolant. I just save it and use it for the saw, also a good way to evaporate the water out. Like I said though a coolant change is only 25 gallons x 2 for me.

Only quote so far is $225/drum, no pre-inspection. That's to haul off our drums, so another $25/drum plus time and fuel to go buy new (used) drums.

We're not In the same State so I'm not much help as far as your question. But I think It's an Interesting topic and we've always had ours taken away also. The company that does It actually brought a tote and left it. We just fill that and they come and drain It when we call them. Just did 300 gallons for $250. The catch though which I find Interesting their not doing It In California is that about two or three years ago they started having to test before removal. I'm pretty sure they said It was a DOT thing. $600 to do the test and a week or so wait for the result. Plus the fee for removing the oil. Good for 2 Years then you have to have them do the test again. So every two years you get raped for an $850 dollar removal fee. Probably goes up every couple years to :angry:

American Valley Environmental
800-732-4645

Tell them you have "Oily water"..they will suck it right out of the barrels.

We use Excel Environmental out of Tracy but doubt they service Chico.

I would ask a local Auto Shop who picks up their used motor oil.

Right after I made this post, we were flooded with info on one particular company (Asbury Environmental Services in Chico) that even the County is happy with. We are waiting on a quote from them, luckily we're not in any hurry.

American Valley Environmental
800-732-4645

Tell them you have "Oily water"..they will suck it right out of the barrels.
Looks like they are out of Quincy, barely dodged a fire last year. Are you in that neck of the woods as well?

Thanks for the 'Oily water' suggestion, we'll use that to our advantage!

not sure about your quantities or frequency needing it hauled away, but you might want to look into Sanborn filtration. We were spending thousands to get the old coolant hauled away and kept telling the head guy who scoffed at spending I think about 12k at the time ended spending 25-30k before he gave in.

Update:

World Oil out of Dixon did a good job, if you can call it that. They showed up, took our barrels and left a piece of paper, all for the low low price of $275 / barrel plus a $25 EPA fee.

Drive towards your state's nearest forest fire (the firefighters always keep one in reserve for maximum scare), pour contents on burnt ground, if caught, explain you helping to fight fire.

Drive towards your state's nearest forest fire (the firefighters always keep one in reserve for maximum scare), pour contents on burnt ground, if caught, explain you helping to fight fire.

In that neck of the woods they may end up hauling off 2 acres of contaminated dirt to the special landfill where they were going to take it anyhow as it had burnt house stuff on it.

Back