What's new
What's new

Need to unclamp chuck with the foot pedal mid program.

david n

Diamond
So I run OP1 a longish part that doesn't lend to a stop in the draw tube. Clamp on material stickin outa the chuck 2" or so. Hit cycle start. Turret comes down with a stop in an ID tool holder 4.5" from the chuck. Now I want to be able to hit the pedal(unclamp) manually bring the stock to the stop. Hit the pedal(clamp). Close the door and hit cycle start. I could do this on my old Haas, but on my new Lynx the pedal will not actuate the chuck in the middle of the program. M code for this? I have to program in a M69 MO. Move the stock. M68 MO. Close the door. Cycle start. Works, but just used to the old way. Idears?

If M30 is what stops and rewinds the program, then use M02 instead of M00 when you want to open the chuck.
On my OiTC control M30 is program end, rewind and STOP, but M02 is program end only with STOP, but no rewind.
Hitting Cycle Start at that point will execute from the block right after the M02.

I believe you have access to the M30/M02 behavior in the parameters.

I have a V type thingy with an adjustable stop. I grip the shaft against the stop and push to the jaw and clamp before pushing the green button. Not sure why any machine would let you open the chuck during a program. But in some cases it would make an interesting youtube video. Once.

Not sure why any machine would let you open the chuck during a program. But in some cases it would make an interesting youtube video. Once.
I do it all the time.
1 program for both sides of the part.

Program Side1, run it 'till M02.
Open door, open chuck, flip part, clamp part, close door, hit Cycle Start for Side2 until M30.

Poor man's done-in-one!

If M30 is what stops and rewinds the program, then use M02 instead of M00 when you want to open the chuck.
On my OiTC control M30 is program end, rewind and STOP, but M02 is program end only with STOP, but no rewind.
Hitting Cycle Start at that point will execute from the block right after the M02.

I believe you have access to the M30/M02 behavior in the parameters.
Whether or not M02 rewinds the program depends on a parameter.

1676609246963.png

1676609038060.png

Not sure why any machine would let you open the chuck during a program. But in some cases it would make an interesting youtube video. Once.
Did it that way for almost 30 years. Made lots of parts that required 2 part locates, some with 3 locates. Controller will not allow the chuck to actuate unless the spindle is stopped.

…….Not sure why any machine would let you open the chuck during a program…..
I can’t imagine having a machine that doesn’t let one do that. Nobody is saying open the chuck while the spindle is turning, but at an M0 it’s a must!

Maybe the best solution would be for the builder to provide a setting that disabled the function. I have seen instances where an M0 was provided for an inspect step or to clear chips and the operator accidentally stepped on the chuck pedal and dropped the part into the conveyor. That is a minor trouble compared to the PITA it would to not have the ability at all.

Duh........I'm a knucklehead:dunce:. I bar pull all of the time and a M31 is needed for that. I wasn't even thinkin' of that as I was using the pedal. Thanks!
Yabut, unless I misunderstood your need, that's not the same as wanting to open the chuck for a manual pull.
M31 under program control is way different than using the footswitch.

F0r example, on my machines I cannot even open the door during an M00 or M01, only when there is no active program running.
M02 serves that purpose as it is an honest-to-god Program-End with all the necessary signals raised.

On some machines, when the control is in "Program Stop" - M00 - or "Optional Stop" - M01 - the foot pedal will activate the chuck(s).
Depending on MTB and settings, you may need a Spindle Interlock Bypass code. For DN/Doosan it is:
M31 - Main Spindle Interlock Bypass
M131 - Sub Spindle Interlock Bypass
Either one of these will function for one cycling of the chuck, that is, one open-close sequence, and will then be automatically cancelled.
Place the correct code BEFORE the M00/M01, if needed, on a line by itself.

Ever consider using a bar puller and doing something else why the machine continues on its own? I know that is not an answer but a possible work around. You may try pressing a manual mode button at your M0 also. Open pull close. Then back into memory mode and press go.

Did it that way for almost 30 years. Made lots of parts that required 2 part locates, some with 3 locates. Controller will not allow the chuck to actuate unless the spindle is stopped.
I've had jobs with real thin walls when the part was finished, where the best way we found to run it was to rough it out with the chuck set to a higher pressure, unclamp it after roughing, lower the chuck pressure, re-chuck, then finish the part to reduce egging.

Machine safeties are getting to the point you can't even do what you need to any more.

Reactions: Ox

Back