What's new
What's new

Need tool offset help… please!

OldGold

Plastic
I am new to cnc milling and recently purchased a 2007 Sharp SV-2412S which has the Fanuc oi mate-mc system. I purchased a Haimer and a nice tool height indicator to try to eliminate error and to make things easier on me. I’ve successfully set tool length offsets from each other but I am having a hell of a time getting the machine to recognize where the work material is. I’ve followed some others members processes but I must be missing something. I’ve heard you can use the Haimer to zero anywhere and set up all the tool offsets to that same height. Then use the Haimer to locate the work Z. I think I’m missing something during this because the machine still doesn’t know where the work piece is. Could the offset between the work piece and tool be a result of the program? Perhaps maybe where I set my work coordinates in SolidWorks?

Can someone please help me? Thank you!!!

couch

Cast Iron
Could be any number of things but if you’re using a tool height setter, with say a 4” zero height, you can set all your tools on there. Just make sure you always put it in the same place, like on the table.

Your work offset Z values will then be set with the Haimer by first zeroing the Haimer on a hard 4” gage set on the table, or the same place you set your tools with. Do not try and set zero on top of the tool setter with the Haimer. The gage block must be the same height as your zero height of the tool setter so if your tool setter is only 3” tall, use a 3” gage block.

Zero the Haimer on the gage block then either record your machines absolute Z coordinates, or better yet zero out the relative Z value. Now jog the spindle to wherever your Z is in your WCS, say top of stock, and zero the Haimer on it. The value in your relative Z is what you’d put in the work offset Z value for that part/offset. Do the same for any other work offset Zs. All values will be from the gage block not from each other.

If you don’t have a relative for some reason, you’ll have to do the math between the machines absolute Z coordinate when the Haimer is at zero on the gage block and when it’s at zero on the part/stock/fixture/whatever, just make sure this is the same place you set your Z in CAM.

Make sure all your tool length offsets are zerod from the tool setter, so the values will all end up being the machines absolute Z coordinate when the tools are zerod on the setter, and not the difference in length between each other.

OldGold

Plastic
I really appreciate you taking the time to help me out. I do have a 3” tall tool setter and I use the 3” side of a 1-2-3 block for my Haimer, all from on the table. I think I’m missing a step that you’ve explained in your process. Below you state…

“Zero the Haimer on the gage block then either record your machines absolute Z coordinates, or better yet zero out the relative Z value. Now jog the spindle to wherever your Z is in your WCS, say top of stock, and zero the Haimer on it. The value in your relative Z is what you’d put in the work offset Z value for that part/offset.”

I don’t believe I’m zeroing my relative when I zero the Haimer on the 123 block. Also, when I touch on the top of the work with my Haimer, I’ve been typing Z0 and pressing the “measure” soft key, which probably is incorrect, or is it?

Let me see if I finally understand this…

- I zero the relative while my Haimer is zeroed on the 123 block
- Move the Haimer to the top of my work and zero.
- The number in the Z column of my G54 should be the value in my relative Z.

Does that sound correct? Assuming my WCS is set how I want it… which I’m still trying to understand how to set properly in SolidWorks CAM.

Again, thank you for taking the time to help me.

couch

Cast Iron
I really appreciate you taking the time to help me out. I do have a 3” tall tool setter and I use the 3” side of a 1-2-3 block for my Haimer, all from on the table. I think I’m missing a step that you’ve explained in your process. Below you state…

“Zero the Haimer on the gage block then either record your machines absolute Z coordinates, or better yet zero out the relative Z value. Now jog the spindle to wherever your Z is in your WCS, say top of stock, and zero the Haimer on it. The value in your relative Z is what you’d put in the work offset Z value for that part/offset.”

I don’t believe I’m zeroing my relative when I zero the Haimer on the 123 block. Also, when I touch on the top of the work with my Haimer, I’ve been typing Z0 and pressing the “measure” soft key, which probably is incorrect, or is it?

Let me see if I finally understand this…

- I zero the relative while my Haimer is zeroed on the 123 block
- Move the Haimer to the top of my work and zero.
- The number in the Z column of my G54 should be the value in my relative Z.

Does that sound correct? Assuming my WCS is set how I want it… which I’m still trying to understand how to set properly in SolidWorks CAM.

Again, thank you for taking the time to help me.

You’re correct on all that!

OldGold

Plastic
Thanks for all the help! I think I’ve got it now. I just wasn’t zeroing my REL when setting the Haimer on the 3” block on my table. I just ran a program just to verify this and everything’s perfect. Thank you!!! I did use the “measure” soft key after inputting “Z0” when my Haimer was zeroed on the top of the work piece, and after zeroing the REL when setting my Haimer and tool lengths 3” off of the table. I struggled yesterday trying to figure out where my mistake was. It was simply not zeroing the REL when setting my Haimer on the 3” block.

Thank you very much. I owe you!!!

couch

Cast Iron
Thanks for all the help! I think I’ve got it now. I just wasn’t zeroing my REL when setting the Haimer on the 3” block on my table. I just ran a program just to verify this and everything’s perfect. Thank you!!! I did use the “measure” soft key after inputting “Z0” when my Haimer was zeroed on the top of the work piece, and after zeroing the REL when setting my Haimer and tool lengths 3” off of the table. I struggled yesterday trying to figure out where my mistake was. It was simply not zeroing the REL when setting my Haimer on the 3” block.

Thank you very much. I owe you!!!

Glad you got it working! Plenty of us here to help anytime, I’m happy to help!