What's new
What's new

New Acquisition, a Gebruder Thiel die filer

Salem Straub

Cast Iron
I just got this machine in on Saturday... it was shipped cross country to me, from N.C. to WA, via Yellow/Reddaway freight. They actually did a pretty decent job... no damage and a reasonable shipping charge. This is a Gebruder Thiel number 3 die filer. It originally had a jackshaft setup mounted low on the base casting, with a four cone-pulley setup to match the machine's drive shaft, as well as a foot pedal clutch system to control power transmission. Many of those parts were missing, so I opted to strip the unnecessary parts away and turn an aluminum drive wheel for direct motor shaft mount, harvested a 1/2hp 3 phase motor from my scrap motor pallet, and just run a synthetic flat belt to the largest cone pulley, then control via VFD for speed control. This seems to work quite well... although I have a 3/4 hp motor I could swap to should this one prove to bog in use.
This is a really neat old piece. It has a date of 1948 on the table, and a couple of cool brass tags elsewhere. The castings are nicely styled and definitely way heavier than they need to be, in many cases.

I took the crank case apart and found an old birds nest in there... and one of the lower bushings had come out of the casting. Fixed all that and brightened and oiled all sliding surfaces, and after fabricating a motor mount and belt, it works!
Admittedly I'm not a fastidious rebuilder of machines... I tend to get them running decently and put them to work. I usually like the distressed look of old paint and browned steel surfaces, as long as all the moving parts are in order. Here I do still have to fabricate (maybe forge then machine) some hold-down arms, as the pinch factor is real when they're not present.
There's almost nothing available on the web in English regarding these machines, other than pictures of maybe three or or four that I've found with no explanation. SO I'm trying to add in whatever way I can to their online presence.

You have the file cutting on the downstroke, right?

I ask because I don’t feel like there’s a lot of pinch danger with my filer and it’s a pretty common error.

Obsolete are my favorite kinds of machines and the Germans made some nice ones.

Both the filers I have had did have a pinch danger... I know I got pinched a time or two.... You do need the hold-down arms, but sometimes on small parts or ones with an odd shape, the hold down does not work well.

You have the file cutting on the downstroke, right?

I ask because I don’t feel like there’s a lot of pinch danger with my filer and it’s a pretty common error.

Obsolete are my favorite kinds of machines and the Germans made some nice ones.
Yep cutting on the downstroke… it will still pick up the work at times if not pressed down hard.

I agree, obsolete machines are some of the coolest. Power hammers, shapers…

Reactions: JST
I just got this machine in on Saturday... it was shipped cross country to me, from N.C. to WA, via Yellow/Reddaway freight. They actually did a pretty decent job... no damage and a reasonable shipping charge. This is a Gebruder Thiel number 3 die filer. It originally had a jackshaft setup mounted low on the base casting, with a four cone-pulley setup to match the machine's drive shaft, as well as a foot pedal clutch system to control power transmission. Many of those parts were missing, so I opted to strip the unnecessary parts away and turn an aluminum drive wheel for direct motor shaft mount, harvested a 1/2hp 3 phase motor from my scrap motor pallet, and just run a synthetic flat belt to the largest cone pulley, then control via VFD for speed control. This seems to work quite well... although I have a 3/4 hp motor I could swap to should this one prove to bog in use.
This is a really neat old piece. It has a date of 1948 on the table, and a couple of cool brass tags elsewhere. The castings are nicely styled and definitely way heavier than they need to be, in many cases.

I took the crank case apart and found an old birds nest in there... and one of the lower bushings had come out of the casting. Fixed all that and brightened and oiled all sliding surfaces, and after fabricating a motor mount and belt, it works!
Admittedly I'm not a fastidious rebuilder of machines... I tend to get them running decently and put them to work. I usually like the distressed look of old paint and browned steel surfaces, as long as all the moving parts are in order. Here I do still have to fabricate (maybe forge then machine) some hold-down arms, as the pinch factor is real when they're not present.
There's almost nothing available on the web in English regarding these machines, other than pictures of maybe three or or four that I've found with no explanation. SO I'm trying to add in whatever way I can to their online presence.
Hello- nice video! I have a1705614361996.png Gebruder Thiel 6 if you know anyone looking...and files 1705614420105.jpeg

Back