What's new
What's new

New Doosan DEM 4000

Miller846

Aluminum
Just took delivery of my new DN Solutions DEM 4000. I’ve asked around on here previously about this machine and just wanted to share my experience thus far with it. It is sitting directly across from a haas super mini mill and right off the bat, it is much much more beefy and well built. I was blown away by the build quality of this machine in comparison to the haas. Everything seems to be designed much better and bigger. I did manage to squeeze it into a residential 2 car garage, though I did have to cut the header about 6in. Ellison is my distributor (SoCal) and they have been extremely supportive and helpful so far. Extremely happy about the decision I made to go with this over another haas super mini. Standing side by side, the quality and thought put into this machine is extremely visible. If this machine runs as good as it looks, I will definitely be buying some more of their machines as I grow!

Attachments

• 6C8B8BC6-CF4B-42F3-9A30-4C3499A98493.jpeg
    6C8B8BC6-CF4B-42F3-9A30-4C3499A98493.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 176
  • D24735FE-92D3-4726-959C-06FF4B90442C.jpeg
    D24735FE-92D3-4726-959C-06FF4B90442C.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 176
  • EDD093E4-3D93-43A1-AF0B-BA3B3B9CFB2F.jpeg
    EDD093E4-3D93-43A1-AF0B-BA3B3B9CFB2F.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 176
That does look like a stout little machine. Why is it listed as educational, what features are missing? Can you add a 4th?

That does look like a stout little machine. Why is it listed as educational, what features are missing? Can you add a 4th?
I think educational is the wrong term for it. Im not sure why they call it that as this thing is about twice the weight, almost the same speed and has more creature comforts as my super mini. It will support a 4th axis, but I don’t think it will go up to a 5th. It doesn’t have as many options as the full DNM lineup like the dual augers, tsc, or upgraded Fanuc Control interface and I think that’s why they consider it educational but it is definitely a beast of a machine!

Did Ellison take off the shipping brackets, level the machine, fill the fluids, and give you a lesson yet? I am still waiting on all that.

As to what you do and don’t get with this educational version:

• Plain vanilla Fanuc 0i-Mf plus control
  • 10.4” screen
  • Not a lot of memory (512k, but you can run off big SD memory).
  • 8k RPM
  • 10-hp max
  • 950 ipm rapids
  • Spindle air curtain (hopefully not a compressor electricity suck)
  • 20-tool side mount ATC
  • Auger
  • Pre-wired Renishaw receiver only
  • Only one coolant nozzle
  • No air blast nozzle (I’d really like that for steel)
  • No pendant
  • No wash down hose or air gun hose

Does it have through spindle air?
Only tool change air blow. I think TSC might be an option, but I did not get it. There were options offered in the brochure that were not actually available in reality. Maybe you could get them if you ordered one and had it built and shipped from Korea.

Did Ellison take off the shipping brackets, level the machine, fill the fluids, and give you a lesson yet? I am still waiting on all that.

As to what you do and don’t get with this educational version:

• Plain vanilla Fanuc 0i-Mf plus control
  • 10.4” screen
  • Not a lot of memory (512k, but you can run off big SD memory).
  • 8k RPM
  • 10-hp max
  • 950 ipm rapids
  • Spindle air curtain (hopefully not a compressor electricity suck)
  • 20-tool side mount ATC
  • Auger
  • Pre-wired Renishaw receiver only
  • Only one coolant nozzle
  • No air blast nozzle (I’d really like that for steel)
  • No pendant
  • No wash down hose or air gun hose
Not yet, I have to fill the post delivery form out and send it in to schedule a tech when my electrician wires it in tomorrow. I think I spoke with you about this machine a few weeks ago, they still haven’t done that yet?

Only tool change air blow. I think TSC might be an option, but I did not get it. There were options offered in the brochure that were not actually available in reality. Maybe you could get them if you ordered one and had it built and shipped from Korea.

Often you can use tsc pullstuds and use spindle air blow as through spindle air. Depends how the air enters the spindle.

Spindle air works super with Nikken coolblast holders.

The attached file shows what comes on the DEM4000 control. This is control only.

Attachments

• _[FANUC-iser] DEM 4000(F0i-F Plus - Type5) .pdf
    232.4 KB · Views: 46
Just took delivery of my new DN Solutions DEM 4000. I’ve asked around on here previously about this machine and just wanted to share my experience thus far with it. It is sitting directly across from a haas super mini mill and right off the bat, it is much much more beefy and well built. I was blown away by the build quality of this machine in comparison to the haas. Everything seems to be designed much better and bigger. I did manage to squeeze it into a residential 2 car garage, though I did have to cut the header about 6in. Ellison is my distributor (SoCal) and they have been extremely supportive and helpful so far. Extremely happy about the decision I made to go with this over another haas super mini. Standing side by side, the quality and thought put into this machine is extremely visible. If this machine runs as good as it looks, I will definitely be buying some more of their machines as I grow!
Looks a nice Machine. I am looking to do the same here in Australia in my garage. I would be interested to know your thoughts on how the machine goes machining.

Thanks

Looks a nice Machine. I am looking to do the same here in Australia in my garage. I would be interested to know your thoughts on how the machine goes machining.

Thanks
Awesome! I’m hoping to have the tech here tomorrow for final install and I’ll post on here pictures of some test parts. If your garage door is 7ft, you will probably have to cut into the header a few inches to get it to fit. I had to do this, but it was an easy thing to do and repair. It’s worth it in my opinion in order to get this machine over a haas mini mill!

Awesome! I’m hoping to have the tech here tomorrow for final install and I’ll post on here pictures of some test parts. If your garage door is 7ft, you will probably have to cut into the header a few inches to get it to fit. I had to do this, but it was an easy thing to do and repair. It’s worth it in my opinion in order to get this machine over a haas mini mill!
Hope all went well with testing. Did you manage to take any pictures of test parts? Also, how do you find the noise level of the machine in the garage space you have while operating?

Appreciate any feedback. There isn't much out there regrading videos of the machine operating.

Thanks

Hope all went well with testing. Did you manage to take any pictures of test parts? Also, how do you find the noise level of the machine in the garage space you have while operating?

Appreciate any feedback. There isn't much out there regrading videos of the machine operating.

Thanks
Yes I’ll attach some pics below. The noise of the machine isn’t bad. It’s about the same as my haas, maybe a hair quieter. Overall very pleased with the machine. Very high quality and makes for probably the best machine out there that will fit into a garage!

Attachments

• 90C3CC44-B0F2-4371-AFB2-8376665B76B5.jpeg
    90C3CC44-B0F2-4371-AFB2-8376665B76B5.jpeg
    423.3 KB · Views: 120
  • 9D8CF0A7-5814-4C81-8949-70D406C0B403.jpeg
    9D8CF0A7-5814-4C81-8949-70D406C0B403.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 121
  • 36E0F04E-15B7-4F68-843A-0252E214F61C.jpeg
    36E0F04E-15B7-4F68-843A-0252E214F61C.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 120
Did you get the tool probe working? Do you have a spindle probe for work coordinate setup?
I did get the probe system but I haven’t tried it out yet. The applications guy from Ellison is coming out Wednesday to show me how to use it! I’ve been running the machine with manual offsets for the past few days and the more I get to know it, the more I like it. It’s definitely in a higher class than the haas!

Yes I’ll attach some pics below. The noise of the machine isn’t bad. It’s about the same as my haas, maybe a hair quieter. Overall very pleased with the machine. Very high quality and makes for probably the best machine out there that will fit into a garage!
Nice work. Good to know you are happy with the machine. Thanks for posting the pictures. I have only run machining centers in workshops and wondered if the tool change and machining noise might be loud in a car garage, good to know it isn't.

Nice work. Good to know you are happy with the machine. Thanks for posting the pictures. I have only run machining centers in workshops and wondered if the tool change and machining noise might be loud in a car garage, good to know it isn't.
I have my DEM 4000 in a residential garage and find the air compressor automatic drain and unloader noises way more annoying than the mill noises. I think I will change the drain to manual operation and try to muffle the unloader outlet. It would be nice if the DEM spindle air curtain timed out after a certain period of idle, as it is an energy suck by forcing the compressor to cycle. By way of contrast, my old Deckel FP2NC with worn gears in the transmission required earmuffs for speeds above 2000 RPM.

Back