What's new
What's new

New Fab Shop: First Ironworkwer

Mross506

Aluminum
Background info: I am a Maintenance Manager for a growing manufacturing company that builds alot of our equipment in house. Due to frustrations with leadtimes and workmanship from the local fab shops we have decided to bring our fab work inside. We recently hired several very experienced fabricators and are now in the process of gathering equipment to make them successful. I have been around fab shops my entire career and had a couple Ironworkers in the shops I've worked in but have never worked directly in a fab shop.

Question #1: We need to buy a used Ironworker and have a budget of $15k. It needs to be easily operable and good quality. Approx 50-60 tons capacity. I have read alot of posts within PM and learned alot from them. (My experience with ironworkers is somewhat limited)

Since we are a custom fab shop, I am more concerned about being able to have lots of options to easily make one off cuts rather than thousands of the same part. The majority of what we cut is 1/4" wall or under. One of the brands that has jumped out to me is Geka due to the quality of their fixturing tables. Unfortunately, there aren't many of them on the market and the ones that are there are either too big or too worn out. I've been looking for a month with little luck. I am leery of buying a new model of the cheaper brands (Iroquis, Edwards, etc) but am I just being too picky?

I look forward to your thoughts and please ask away with questions if you need more info to help make recommendations.

I'm partial to Scotchman, I like their stop control..... I use mine with form tooling and coining/flattening.

Sent from my E6910 using Tapatalk

Nothing to do with me but here's a screaming deal

1.jpg

PIRANHA PII-65 Ironworker - heavy equipment - by owner - sale

PIRANHA PII-65 Ironworker - $8,750 (Sparks, NV)
© craigslist - Map data © OpenStreetMap
Spice Islands Dr. near Greg St.
(google map)

condition: good
make / manufacturer: PIRANHA
model name / number: PII-65
size / dimensions: 84" x 38" x 72"
65 Ton PIRANHA PII-65 Ironworker - Hydraulic, Dual Operator for Sale
Bend, bunch & cut steel
Drive Motor: 10 HP 230/460 Volt 3 Phase
Platen Surface: 11" x 38"
Coping" 15" x 15"
Punch Capacity: 1-1/16" thru 3/4" thick material or 65 Tons
Angle Max: 5" x 5" x 3/8"
Plate Max: 3/4" x 8" or 5/8" x 12" or 1/4" x 24"

4,000 shipping weight

Derek

call:
(775) 451-0205

I bought my Geka new almost 25 years ago. I still love it and it works great.
you save so much time, and get more accurate work, with the tables and length stops with the built in stainless steel rulers.

In that time, my local steel yard has bought and worn out two scotchmans, and theur third one is looking pretty sad. They mostly use it an hour or two a day for shearing small pieces for custom orders- far from production.
I would keep looking for a geka. Or a peddinghaus or even a mubea- both built in germany like brick shithouses.

We have a Scotchmen and Uni Hydro's. All great machines without any real problems. The Scotchmen is over 25 years old and still going strong. The 3-Uni Hydro's are between 10 years and 2 years old and we have never had a single problem from them. Great machines.
You can get into a new Uni-Hydro 14-42 for around your price range.
14"shear width at 42 tons, you can check out the specs on there web site.

View attachment 344472

(google map)

Bend, bunch & cut steel
Coping" 15" x 15"

4,000 shipping weight

Derek

call:
(775) 451-0205

That thing is a beast. I think it's very similar to one that I saw at a local scrap yard. Theirs was all beat to hell from using it to chop up long iron into short iron.

View attachment 344472

(google map)

Bend, bunch & cut steel
Coping" 15" x 15"

4,000 shipping weight

Derek

call:
(775) 451-0205

Can't bitch about the price - that's for sure.

I ain't got room for it... you wanna hold it for me? Might be a few years. :D

THAT is SERIOUSLY a good deal. If I was looking for one with a $15,000 dollar budget - I'd be calling them. Good find Kustomizer

I have seen a couple Peddinghaus ironworkers that looked ok but I definitely agree that the tables on the Geka are top notch.

The Piranha looks to be a really reliable machine. How is it to do one off cuts? Is there different set up requirements to cut angle at a 45? They are 2nd on my list behind Geka. (They used to be first but I read some comments that they were better at repeat jobs than one off custom cuts.) Thoughts?

The Piranha looks to be a really reliable machine. How is it to do one off cuts? Is there different set up requirements to cut angle at a 45? They are 2nd on my list behind Geka. (They used to be first but I read some comments that they were better at repeat jobs than one off custom cuts.) Thoughts?

Mine is a P50, somewhat smaller than that one, cutting angles such as your 45 for me is as simple as a tri square against the guide, shove in the bar and stomp the pedal. I think it is handy to have a cart to hold up the bar while you line up for the cut. I think the Geka is a good machine too, here is one:

GEKA IRONWORKER 55 TON - general for sale - by owner

1.jpg

LIKE new - good selection of punches and dies - CALL FOR MORE INFORMATION

//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////four80-254-2054\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\

/////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////NO TEXT I WILL NOT RESPOND\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\

I realize these machines are not next door to you but I would bet there is a member here willing to go check one out for you

Don't forget to let us know what you end up with and why, inquiring minds like to know

I think we would bend in the beginning. We will be bringing in a press brake soon too but it will be another 6-12 months.

I think we would bend in the beginning. We will be bringing in a press brake soon too but it will be another 6-12 months.

I may know the location of a 5 foot Wysong with an electronic back gauge, it is mechanical.

I bend in my iron worker a lot though it is hard set the angle

I'm going next week to look at a small fab shop that is closing and wants to sell his equipment. He doesn't have an ironworker but he does have some sheers and a press brake... Honestly, I am still learning alot about what the best equipment is for our needs and budget. (Perhaps I am a little to picky. I just want to get the best equipment for the guys and know I will likely be stuck with whatever I buy for a few years at least.)

I appreciate you guys helping educate me though.

Back