What's new
What's new

New Fadal offsets not adding up

Maverick302

Aluminum
I just got a 1996 3016 set up and running. This is my first Fadal. When trying to run a sample program the Z location is way off and I'm not sure what I'm missing. My setup is as follows:

• Cold start coordinates are set and correct, and there is no TCS (so it should default to cold start / MCS right?)
  • I set my tools with the UT tool setting cycle, using an Edge pro height gauge - I use "4.0" for gauge block height. This gives my tool an offset length of roughly -11.xxx" or so
  • Using tool 1 (this will be replaced with a Haimer once I figure this out), I set my fixture 1 offset to a location 4" off the table, and some arbitrary X and Y (-4.000 and 7.000). This gives my fixture offset a negative value as well (-7.xxx")
  • The program in Fusion references WCS 1
  • When I start the program, it locates to the correct X and Y, runs the right spindle speed and coolant, but the tool runs way down near the table (about an inch or so up)
For the life of me I can't make sense of why the Z goes there. It doesn't mathematically make sense. Am I missing a step in the setup somewhere? Did I botch my fixture offset? I don't know where I'm going wrong

At “Enter next command” hit [space] [space] until #4 Fixture Offsets comes up. Hit [4] and see if there is a Z value in your Fixture 1 offset.

Ensure the Z value in your Fix 1 offset is 0 and enter [DT] to get the tool offset page. Enter the Z height for a particular tool in that table. I believe you may have a double Z offset, ie entered in the fixture AND the Tool Height table (DT = data table).

At “Enter next command” hit [space] [space] until #4 Fixture Offsets comes up. Hit [4] and see if there is a Z value in your Fixture 1 offset.

Ensure the Z value in your Fix 1 offset is 0 and enter [DT] to get the tool offset page. Enter the Z height for a particular tool in that table. I believe you may have a double Z offset, ie entered in the fixture AND the Tool Height table (DT = data table).

Yes, both tool and fixture offset values are negative Z. If it were double dipping, which I had assumed was the case, it doesn't add up (ie -7 + -11 does not equal where the tool ends up).

I want to set the tools to the table, not the part. That way when I change parts I just probe it with the Haimer and set the Z in the fixture offset rather than reset all the tools. Therefore, I don't want a 0 in the fixture offset, right?

If you set your tool lengths to the 4" plane, then your work offset should be the difference between that 4" plane and your work Z0. If you had a work offset of Z-7.00, then when sending the tool to Z0 it would be 3" below the table.

Back