What's new
What's new

New gun design help

Naaa...the OP obviously needs a two gun crossdraw rig and two Colt 1860 Armys.........then he can blow away the bad guys in style......although there was a crowd making a double derringer chambered for 12ga 3" magnum.......with 4" barrels......nice backup gun for his 22.

In a county where one can legally own a gun, I think such a device is a waste of time, and likely may cause some kind of accident.

Plus a 1 1/2" smooth barrel 22 mag may not kill a squirrel at 5 yards.

I don't care, even if designing a new toothbrush; ordinances, legalities and products not withstanding, the concept of "I'm a designer, not an engineer", coupled with "so, who can help me?" plain stinks.

You have no clue how much restraint that took.

How much restraint?

Naaa...the OP obviously needs a two gun crossdraw rig and two Colt 1860 Armys.........then he can blow away the bad guys in style......although there was a crowd making a double derringer chambered for 12ga 3" magnum.......with 4" barrels......nice backup gun for his 22.
LOL!

Those big bore Derringers are sorta sketchy.

Lotta kick for not a lotta grip.

Sent using Morse code on - .- .--. .- - .- .-.. -.-

I have a Bond Snake Slayer with a 4 inch barrel. Besides the 45 shot shells that I normally use, it will chamber 410 shot shells. I bought a box of 410 shells to try that out. I fired one and my son fired one 410 shell. That was about 15 years ago and there probably still is a box of 23 410 shells around here, not something I will ever do again.
12 gauge magnum that is just insane.
Still carry the Bond fairly often but I do not really see that many snattle rakes. I have killed about as many with a shovel or a pocket knife.

snakeRS.jpg

One thing good about an engineered device is that they normally have a safety that can be relied upon.

Getting near 30 posts on this, I wonder if the Op gave up on getting support for his plan.

One thing good about an engineered device is that they normally have a safety that can be relied upon.

Getting near 30 posts on this, I wonder if the Op gave up on getting support for his plan.

Good point. Minimum wall thickness, would be the least of his worries as far as safety is concerned. The Bond in the photo is single action, it has a transfer bar so the firing pins are not directly contacted by the hammer, plus it has a hammer block safety. Safe to carry in the pocket while loaded. I have not found a holster that would protect it from dust and water while working.

I’ve just joined this forum and don’t visit forums I’m a newbie. Lol I’m designing a gun it’s a 22 mag cartridge. It’s for self defense and I’m designing it to carry in my back pocket. I’m designing it to look nothing like a gun. My question is with the pressure of a 22 mag how much wall thickness will I need using either 410 or 416. The 410 has a lower Rockwell range which I would think would be better then the 416 ‘s 45 Rockwell. I’m going to have three chambers in a rectangular block. The bores are going to be honed smooth bores 1.500 in length. These will all be in this one rectangular block. My question the rim fires have much less pressures what is the minimum wall thickness I need with 410 at around 30 Rockwell. I’m trying to keep the Thickness of this block at a minimum because it will be in my back pocket. But with this design I will have two weak points where the wall will be thinner in line with the thickness. Also is the 416 a better choice maybe with a higher Rockwell. Im only a designer not an engineer. Lol Any recommendations are really appreciated.

I have a gunsmith who gets these dumb requests occasianly to 'help' with a new gun design, or help with something that might not be strictly legal. His first thought is the requester may be ATF or ATF CI

Good point, looking for a PM guy who would/might make a illegal gun device...not much chance of that IMHO.
If I thought the idea was good and that I wouldn't be wasting my time advising someone on how to build a "worse better mousetrap" - I'd start by giving him the name of a good lawyer who deals with this kind of stuff.

Sent using Morse code on - .- .--. .- - .- .-.. -.-

I gotta comment...
The last guy I saw with a wearable gun had a 22 on a belt buckle at a gun show... 35 or more years ago.

There was a bang in the restroom... The paramedics showed up real quick.... He shot himself trying to take a dump....

Wearable stuff can hurt as well as be uncomfortable....

As an ol guy I quit going places where I felt I needed to worry about my personal safety.

Several guys I grew up with who felt they were immortal are no longer around... Just sayin....

Your novel design may fall in the "any other weapon" (AOW) category defined and regulated by the national firearms act (NFA). The AOW category includes cane guns, pen guns, some belt buckle guns, and others that function as but do not appear as pistols.

If you want to build an AOW some paperwork and a trivial tax of $5 is required. Probably fingerprints as well. And be sure to check if your state even allows them. And to sell the AOW the buyer has to do a similar set of paperwork and pay a transfer tax of $5.

It is big deal to violate NFA.

$5 is the transfer tax on a Form 4. If you want to manufacture an AOW as an individual, the tax is $200 for the Form 1.

.22 Mag for self-defense? You got a rabid squirrel wanting to take a piece of your azz? :D

@John Brenner ,

Just your focus on hardness of material shows gross ignorance of the requirements necessary for gun steels. You are way out of your league and need remedial metallurgical sciences instruction. Carefully back away from the idea and educate yourself.

Made an account to reply.
I'm in a similar position to OP in that I know next to nothing but am interested. However, I plan take my time and learn the necessary info to avoid wasting time, money, and blood.

Can you recommend any good resources on "gun steels" specifically?

Glad I went down the rabbit hole leading to this thread. I've learned I still have a lot to learn.

I gotta comment...
The last guy I saw with a wearable gun had a 22 on a belt buckle at a gun show... 35 or more years ago.

There was a bang in the restroom... The paramedics showed up real quick.... He shot himself trying to take a dump....

Wearable stuff can hurt as well as be uncomfortable....

As an ol guy I quit going places where I felt I needed to worry about my personal safety.

Several guys I grew up with who felt they were immortal are no longer around... Just sayin....

I know 2 guys that have shot themselves in the leg, out of plain stupidity, one was a 44mag, it took his whole calf off, helluva way to go into retirement.......

Back