What's new
What's new

New Haas door interlock

Yup, until someone does. Accidents happen, it's why it is an accident. A brain fart, or a little oil spot on the floor, a loud bang when you have your head in there checking something....

And if that's what you think about a new machine, well.... I guess everyone has an opinion. I can't think of one time where needing to have the door open and the spindle running was a problem, but all the machines I have used with interlocks had probing so it was a non-issue.

At least once a week I have a "broken bolt" job come through the door from someone I know. I usually try not to do work like that but you know how it is with friends. I almost always set the job up in a VMC and use the MPG and or MDI to do the job often hanging inside the enclosure when spotting center the same way you would do it on a Bridgeport except way more rigid and controllable.

I only own 1 manual mill and have often thought of selling it as I've yet to find anything it can do that a VMC can't do in Jog or MDI.......that is if you don't have to close the door.......

While I do some short run production much of my work is one off stuff that gets babysat and often requires blowing chips out of the way while the machine is running. Yes I could hit feed hold but I have enough confidence in myself that when I open the door to a running machine I won't get the urge to lick the spindle.

Everything in life has a certain amount of risk. It is my choice to choose how much risk I am willing to accept, not the MTB and not anyone else.

Also I am exempt from OSHA so pfffftttt.....

Yup, it's an OSHA violation.
If the inspector walks in, and see's the keys in the machine, and your not actively setting up.....

I don't know if your being facetious or not.... but how would OSHA know or define "setup"?? Some places (for time recording and such) define setup as just the setting of tools/fixtures/vices, then it is production time. Others define it as the previous, plus the time to get a good part through. So you could easily (and reasonably IMO) say even thought he machine is runnin auto, it is still in a setup state until you get the 1st part done? As far as having parts on the table, or packed, or whatever, you could say they are bad and you are still dialing a tool in, or they are another revision, or anything else somewhat creative. :D

I have already been sued personally over a machine I built and won the case because it was copy of my machine the operator got hurt on not the one I built with guards and safety switches.

As a manufacturer there is NO statute of limitations for getting sued for an injury, and employees can’t sue their employer, only Workman’s Compensation. That is why manufacturers are so unwilling to take any risk.

We just got a Chinese CNC drilling machine. No fuses or power disconnects in the control cabinet. No guards, safety interlocks of any kind. The only limit switches are for finding home. Try suing a chinese manufacturer from the US. Personally I think they shouldn’t be allowed to sell machinery here without the safety equipment.

I'm curious what did Mori do to make it safe, AND "workable" (not my definition mind you) that is easy to switch back and forth?

In the "enabled" mode, all rapids are limited to 25%, MEM mode is single block only, turret rotation ( this is a lathe ) is 5%, MDI is full function, spindle is full function.
In the "disabled" mode, nothing works with the door open.
Key is a real key, specific to the serial# of the machine.
Key status is logged with time/date stamp.

Back