What's new
What's new

new Haas HPC causes foaming?

Houdini

Titanium
We have a new VF2SS with the loud as fuq HPC cam coolant pump, with the standard 7% coolant as our other machines, it creates a lot of foam, and overflows the sump.
It will stop if I add a bucket of tap water instead of DI water.
Any solutions you have used?

How new is your machine? If they did not scrap out all the rustproofing goop in your machine, it will do this! If it's not bran spanking new, then it could be your coolant. We have all Haas machines here and no issues what so ever, at any time.

Later,
Russ

Reactions: ARB
Sounds like it might be sucking air to me.

Somebody with more HAAS experience can chime in though. There was another thread recently about their HAAS high pressure pump being excessively loud.

Sounds like it might be sucking air to me.

Somebody with more HAAS experience can chime in though. There was another thread recently about their HAAS high pressure pump being excessively loud.
yeah it is super loud!!! its not sucking air, because if I add tap water, it goes away.

Well its probably some form of cavitation in this crap pump, coolant mfg. suggested adding the tap water over adding de-foamer, So I guess I will roll with adding 5 gallons of tap water a week, no biggie.

5 gallons doesnt really change a reading, it sits just above 7% normally though

I guess I'm wondering why your coolant rep thinks the tap water is the thing to improve it (other than you saying it does work). Minerals? Chlorine? Slightly less rich concentration?

If you had 7% @ 45 gallons in a 50 gallon tank, and added 5 gallons to it at that time to top it off, the concentration should drop to 6.3%. I have no idea how big your tank is, and it probably isn't a concentration issue, but that's why I was asking.

A fixed displacement pump can be loud right out of the box, but super loud says cavitation. I'd double check that the HP pump, the feed pump if present and the filter system are not sucking air somewhere.

Also was the initial fill of coolant for the new machine made using tap water like is normally suggest? If it was started with all DI/RO water, that is also part of the problem.

I guess I'm wondering why your coolant rep thinks the tap water is the thing to improve it (other than you saying it does work). Minerals? Chlorine? Slightly less rich concentration?

If you had 7% @ 45 gallons in a 50 gallon tank, and added 5 gallons to it at that time to top it off, the concentration should drop to 6.3%. I have no idea how big your tank is, and it probably isn't a concentration issue, but that's why I was asking.
Yeah all correct, and agree, I am going to monitor the numbers, I am hoping it is the slight % change, and not the added dissolved solids. If it foams again, I'll add DI and see, definitely have some testing to do.

A fixed displacement pump can be loud right out of the box, but super loud says cavitation. I'd double check that the HP pump, the feed pump if present and the filter system are not sucking air somewhere.

Also was the initial fill of coolant for the new machine made using tap water like is normally suggest? If it was started with all DI/RO water, that is also part of the problem.
That is a worry, is this pump causing cavitation, I did back track from cutters, to coolant line, to coolant filter, to pump, to make sure the foamed product was being caused at the pump.
And to be fair, this machine is only 2 month old, and I am so used to using the DI water on all the other machines, my dumb ass did fill the entire tank with DI on startup, so I spent a few weeks adding tap water after the first beer head incident and I realized,
"you dumb ass you filled it with DI"

The tap water is much "harder" than the DI water and probably treated in other ways as well.
The hi pressure pump is causing the foaming and the easy solution would be some Master Chemical "De-Foamer" in the coolant every so often.

I had that issue once with a brand new DN (Doosan) in a place and the De-Foamer stopped the problem without affecting coolant properties.

Another point about cavitation is if the coolant is heavily impregnated with air, (foam for instance) the pump will see that air and not care if it's a leaky fitting or what. It will only complain about how much it doesn't like pumping air.

I went through this 4 years ago with my new Lynx2100 and the 145psi pump, in the end it was the coolant. Some just foam and the rep will have you run in circles until you finally ditch their product anyway, and some foam a lot less.
I had tried some de-foamer and it wasn't even doing the job. Changed to Fuchs, problems 95% gone, machine can run all day instead of turning into an over flowing bathtub in 20 seconds.

First, make sure your coolant pump screens are clear. We'd, then, recommend our 7-points of success (attached). Lastly, if possible, contact your current coolant supplier for defoamer.

Attachments

• Seven points for success copy.pdf
    67.3 KB · Views: 14

Back