What's new
What's new

New Machine Day - Brother Speedio S700X2 Garage Install

kazlx

Hot Rolled
I started machining about 7 years ago and have had my sights set on a Brother for a long time. Yesterday, I finally took delivery of a brand new S700X2, which was a good day. Now I just have to figure out how to use it. For the last three years, I was running a Fadal 3016. It was a great machine and I learned quite a bit. It was nice that it also fit under a garage door. I really liked the Fadal and I think they are good machines for the right price and allow people like myself a foot in the door. I'm entirely self taught. So after a few years, I'm able to understand what features I wanted in a new machine.

I ordered the Speedio with the 16k spindle and 21 tool magazine, the MPG handwheel, lights kit, TSC prep, Blum spindle probe and Blum tool setter. I'm looking forward to learning even more and taking advantage of new technology and a newer/faster machine.

IMG_1528.jpg

IMG_1525.jpg

IMG_1529.jpg

IMG_1530.jpg

IMG_1532.jpg

Easy machine to run in my opinion. Pretty basic controller. Make sure you get the mpg hand wheel option unless you are running production. Hassle to use those buttons.

Should be no trouble going from a fadal to a brother. Brother like fadal has some features to make programming easier and simpler gcodes

Neighbors are going to love the sound of that thing ripping thru chips at 1:00am :D

May I recommend double-layer drywall with acoustic glue in between? (Or just buy QuietRock, more expensive but same idea.) Garage doors are probably the biggest problem, but I bet you could do well with some foam panels glued up on the inside.

Cheap insurance against angry neighbors and it helps with the SOAF. :)

The main thing to remember about the Brother is you will be using different machining strategies than the older Fadal. Light, fast, cuts...driven by a good CAM system. High-speed roughing, chip thinning...all things to get familiar with.

Good luck, and keep us posted!

ToolCat

WooHoo! Congrats Joe. Looking good. Prepare for blast off!

Thanks Frank, been waiting for this for a long time. It feels good.

Easy machine to run in my opinion. Pretty basic controller. Make sure you get the mpg hand wheel option unless you are running production. Hassle to use those buttons.

Should be no trouble going from a fadal to a brother. Brother like fadal has some features to make programming easier and simpler gcodes

I'm sure once I get comfortable with the basics, I'll pick it up pretty quickly.

The main thing to remember about the Brother is you will be using different machining strategies than the older Fadal. Light, fast, cuts...driven by a good CAM system. High-speed roughing, chip thinning...all things to get familiar with.

Good luck, and keep us posted!

ToolCat

Thanks. I've already been thinking this way and preparing for it. I programmed pretty much all of my parts with the same mentality on the Fadal, just wasn't able to go as fast. My big goal now is to really streamline my work holding and dial in quick changeovers, along with getting more organized for repeat jobs.

I've already been thinking this way and preparing for it. I programmed pretty much all of my parts with the same mentality on the Fadal, just wasn't able to go as fast. My big goal now is to really streamline my work holding and dial in quick changeovers, along with getting more organized for repeat jobs.

Make sure you get up to speed on the accuracy modes! It can bite you.
e.g. You cant rip a 3/8" end-mill in to a .250"rad corner at 150ipm and get an accurate profile without using them.

Looks fantastic in there! Congrats!

What garage door height will that fit under?

According to drcoelho, they squeaked his under a 82" opening and that was with a wonky runway. How high is your opening Joe?

It was right about 83" after the trim got trimmed by the Fadal coming out. But it actually had more room than the Fadal going through and way less to take off. It was really just like two cable covers on the side and the main grey tool hood piece on the top. It was really smooth. Plus I can easily move it around myself with a pallet jack if need be. Already measuring to see if I can fit a second one in there.

You are going to love it. You'll get to choose between working fewer hours with more parts than before, or a LOT more parts working the same hours! Congrats!!!

Back