What's new
What's new

New Machine Day - Millturn monster

Do I understand this properly...measure at B home then we're good at any other b angle?
Yes, The machine will calculate the other positions. You must set the tool description correctly for the other positions in order for it to work properly. Did Mazak give you the "cheat sheet" for the tool positions? I got one from the Mazak Los Angeles tech center.

Attachments

• ToolData.pdf
    15.2 KB · Views: 37
Last edited:
Yes, The machine will calculate the other positions. You must set the tool description correctly for the other positions in order for it to work properly. Did Mazak give you the "cheat sheet" for the tool positions? I got one from the Mazak Los Angeles tech center.
No, Never got that super cheat sheet, Thank You!!!
I haven't actually had applications training yet, I did take the smooth x programming course but they said I really need the smooth AI course because there are many significant differences. I've been using my "SmoothCamAI" on my computer which has been very helpful for programming even the 640MT- it lets you write the program in "smooth" but you can output to any control from 640mt and newer. Also allows you load the CAD data in and let the AI automatically create the MAZ program for you, or use the "3d assist" to pick geometry.
Because the tool names/orientations are so different in the new system - the output code transfers incompletely - missing its tool data- and it moves one decimal point over - i.e. 2.0000"=20.000". I guess they did that to insure you look through every line and input the proper tool as well as check the sizes. Still very usefully on complicated milling cycles.
Today I'm pulling tools & holder models off the internet to stuff them into the control and separately the CAM system. It's going to take some work to get all this correct, but avoiding collisions is worth it.

What is the approximate ballpark cost of a machine like this?

Years ago I had an extra $300K cash and was considering something exotic like this. Dealers of these type machines couldn't point me to any smallish local job shops for reference and I didn't have any particular leads on work for it. So I bought real estate instead. That's always been my quandary, high end machines or other investments? I have no feel for the ROI of these type machines.
Our i-400S was $813k back in 2016. We got a shit ton of extra options for it.

and whether such a machne has good roi will depend on whether there is workflow it can do better than similar investments in other machines

if you watch edge precision on youtube (Peter Stanton) he runs an integrex and the parts are generally wicked complicated and jaw clenching high value.

Every part is a millturn part now...
Setup took a bit longer then expected, but they made sure it was right- test cuts were 20- 50% below quoted tolerance.
This machine is awesome- milling and turning motors are super quiet and smooth, interrupted cutting on soft Jaws was much easier on the tools and seemed more dampened then the older machine. This one is almost 2x the weight and seems much stiffer then the older machine. Safety features are annoying- test cuts were in 2" D2 bar, 1st parts 6061 aluminum.
Kinda nervous-very conservative feeds, docs, 10%rapids, we're using the simulation feature before running everything, building confidence. Its taking some time to get tool models close to the actual tool sizes, which will be really nice for 5x parts. Like a vericut on the machine-works w Mazatrol or EIA. It has "chuck barrier" like our 640 and the newer "safety shield"- which is in place during every movement - auto & manual ops. It allows you to override it completely or removing individual pieces i.e. tool to chuck or tool to workpiece, 4 or 5 options. Seems really workable on day1. Also has parameters to adjust how close to allow it to get-faster rapids require more stopping distance.

Just to see it, we ran rapids @ 100% after 1st part completed correctly. I almost lost my mind watching something so big move at 1969 ipm - I lasted about 2 minutes before I turned it down. 10% is good for me right now. We have a backlog of parts that need making nothing 5x, haven't even looked at the EIA/CAM side yet. Love the control, touch screen, features like Calc w mm to inch, projects folders to organize part programs, mazatrol w 3d assist(cad files to program from), SmoothCAM sync from control-backup all data easy & fast, offline programming, crazy coolant everywhere, Yaxis parting.

Attachments

• 1stday-1stpart.jpg
    1stday-1stpart.jpg
    335.4 KB · Views: 53
Just to see it, we ran rapids @ 100% after 1st part completed correctly. I almost lost my mind watching something so big move at 1969 ipm - I lasted about 2 minutes before I turned it down. 10% is good for me right now.
I run mine at 50% rapid all the time. 100% is just too damn fast and I'm mainly doing one off parts so the added few seconds is no issue to me.

Did you get any 45° OD turning tools? These are tools intended to be held with the B-axis at a 45° angle. This allows you to turn or face a large or small part without interference. Turning at B 90° like in your video makes the head get close to the chuck when turning small diameter parts. On second thought , it might not be an issue for you as you are not running a 12" chuck.

I run mine at 50% rapid all the time. 100% is just too damn fast and I'm mainly doing one off parts so the added few seconds is no issue to me.

Did you get any 45° OD turning tools? These are tools intended to be held with the B-axis at a 45° angle. This allows you to turn or face a large or small part without interference. Turning at B 90° like in your video makes the head get close to the chuck when turning small diameter parts. On second thought , it might not be an issue for you as you are not running a 12" chuck.
Funny you ask, I had Day 1 with applications and after we did a transfer I realized that I only setup one tool facing the back spindle. It was a finisher VNGG w .008" radius but we needed to remove almost .07" off the face. I was about to program a CNMG when the apps guy said don't bother. He took the tool attached below rotated b 45 deg towards SP2 (Index B 135)- cut the whole .07" with the "back side" of the tool. (Aluminum) The cut was beautiful, no chatter, fine finish-like it was designed to work that way. Lots of clearance too.

I bought the multi headed Sandvik stuff to use w CAM for this...
and this...

Have you used any of the Prime A or B tools?

Thanks- that 24/7 help just saved my butt...

Attachments

• rotated cut.png
    rotated cut.png
    190 KB · Views: 13
Have you used any of the Prime A or B tools?

Thanks- that 24/7 help just saved my butt...
I have not used the Prime turning tools. We really do not have a need for them just doing prototypes.

Was the 24/7 comment directed at me? If it was, I do not know what you mean.

I have not used the Prime turning tools. We really do not have a need for them just doing prototypes.

Was the 24/7 comment directed at me? If it was, I do not know what you mean.
No, directed at Mazak. Saturday I made an error loading tools. I called a tool I had added in tool data but forgot to put in the magazine. The machine showed a bunch of errors (1208,1295, 1296) that I couldn't figure out how to clear. I called the 24/7 support line and they walked me through the reset. Nice to have support anytime.

Back