What's new
What's new

New Machine Day - Robot Invasion!

I think you guys misunderstand haas model - what they actually sell you is a great deal of blue goo, and the removal of said blue goo. The machine is thrown in as a kind of crackerjack prize with the blue goo.... Bigger machines cost more because they come with a larger dose of blue goo...

(I'd swear my VF5 and TL2 were both outright dipped in it....)

Considering that the machine didn't ship accrost the open sea, and that it was likely to be indoors only days after being set on a truck in Cali, that they could have just shot it down with the likes of LPS3 or whatnot and been done with it?

Well, no they can't. Haas (or any other builder) has to account for the possibility of machines sitting for a year or two before they are sold and also X machine may be put on a ship out to Europe or Asia. "This machine gets the blue goo and that machine gets the tan goo" would also be a non-starter for the little (if any) money Haas would save on goo.

They aren't the only ones going overboard with the goo, either.This is a Nakamura turret for comparison.

1659919742442.png

I am a bit surprised that Fanuc uses plywood mounts for the robot, but it must work?

Fanuc nothing here that's Haas's work. That isn't the factory shipping position and Fanuc robots are shipped on a steel or aluminum pallet.

Looks like a peaceful place to have a shop, a major freeway and people living in the bushes around here.
Congrats on the new machine, I'd like to see that robot in action when you get it going.

Between being busy at work and being away for a long three day weekend, I have a few minutes to post up some more pics! Enjoy!

Andrew, hamming it up for the camera while raiding the fridge!

The install techs are now getting Wall-E set up!

20220801_120055.jpg

Lot's and lot's of cables to hook up! Everything runs off the machine power, and control.

20220801_120059.jpg

Wall-E needs to get removed from the roller cabinet and mounted onto the aluminum brackets.

20220801_120119.jpg

You'll see the robot cabinet is on wheels, but it will be raised up and mounted on leveling pads just like they do for the machines.

20220801_120135.jpg

Here Wall-E is mounted on the angle brackets and the cabinet raised up and placed on the leveling pads.

The staging area for the material blanks that comes with the robot package is in my opinion kind of useless. The circle cutouts you see are around 3" in diameter.

I don't understand why it comes configured that way for a mill robot. Seems better suited for the lathe, or at the very least, very small parts for the mill.

In any event, we will make our own staging table better suited for the parts we make.

20220801_153710.jpg

20220801_153720.jpg

20220802_062136.jpg

Despite my first impression of the robot being on the small side, once assembled and located next to the machine, it does take up a good amount of space!

20220802_062147.jpg

This was about as far as the tech's got on the 2nd day of the install.

Wall-E is is powered up, connected to the control and able to move around!

20220802_062200.jpg

The next day, only one tech will be returning to install the fencing enclosure around the robot.

20220802_062204.jpg

Happy Monday everyone!!

To be continued..............

Now that a very stress filled week has finally come to an end it's Saturday, and that means, new pictures day!!

So, continuing onwards.............

The fencing enclosure is next up on the install list which is now day three!

I still cannot for the life of me figure out why they need an enclosure that is over 8 feet high, but it is what it is I guess...........

20220802_110106.jpg

20220802_110118.jpg

I felt bad for the service tech. Despite being with Haas for many years, he came right out and told me that this was his first robot install. He wasn't really struggling to do anything with the machine side of things, but the robot was a bit of a challenge, thus the applications engineer was in here in the beginning to help out, but the fencing was driving him crazy he said. Very vague instructions, and components were not clearly marked so there was a lot of trial and error as he put everything together. It is a U.S. company as well that makes the enclosure, so it's not like it was a translation issue. Just very poor instructions and diagrams.

For now, he was just getting all the panels put together and in place before anchoring them to the floor.

20220802_121217.jpg

20220802_121227.jpg

20220802_140848.jpg

As you can see, the machine and enclosure takes up quite a bit of real estate!

20220802_140943.jpg

20220802_140955.jpg

In this picture you can see the enclosure door and interlock system are in place and functioning. Still needs to be anchored, but progress is being made!

20220802_141024.jpg

That's all for this fine Saturday! Need to head over to the shop and spend about an hour epoxying some assemblies together. We can only make 8 units every 24 hours due to the cure time and the need for them to be held in a vise until the epoxy cures. Don't like that particular job, but don't mind the money we get for them, so the effort is worth the reward.

Happy Saturday folks!

To be continued...............

I have a customer that has installed a few of these in the last 2 years.

Also - they will be pulling one of our jobs back in-house. (again)

---------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

You got a robot package but didnt get the chip conveyor!!! Did you know dual auger/conveyor is an option on the 2ss as of february? I hate those augers...better than the ol shovel but not by much. The quad augers are even worse as Haas really screwed up the angle of the sheetmetal and the inside corners to build a huge forever chip pile.

Speedie - there's a chip chute sticking out the left side. And I have a VF-5 with the 4 augers and single chain and, well, let's say it's not match for the chip handling on 15 year old DMU60. (Some things haas has caught up in the last 15 years - the networking is very nice, the auto-doors are very nice, etc. but the chip handling needs help.)

Soooo - is anything more than the basic screw and chip chute really a good use of money on these machines?
(I'm seriously asking. I had one haas tech claim that the simple screw often worked better than one might think....)

Looking good Russ!

But man, my O.C.D. couldn't take that huge tall fence for long...haha

In my bizzaro world, once out of warranty the fence would be gone, and then I would rig up some type of light curtain on the ceiling that creates a safety zone around the bot...or similar?

There is a little robot about that size that doesn't require shielding, upon touching something that isn't suppose to be in it's path, it instantly stops.

Keep us posted!

Looking good Russ!

In my bizzaro world, once out of warranty the fence would be gone, and then I would rig up some type of light curtain on the ceiling that creates a safety zone around the bot...or similar?

There is a little robot about that size that doesn't require shielding, upon touching something that isn't suppose to be in it's path, it instantly stops.

Keep us posted!
Light curtain don't stop projectiles.....:D

Looking good Russ!

Keep us posted!

A light curtain in those tight quarters would be routinely going into alarm state as you would likely be tripping it with an elbow or whatnot when walking past. With the cage, you can bump it and it keeps going.

--------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

The cage could be much smaller if the panels swung open to give access. By the way, I think cobots, as in robots with force sensors on all joints, can only run at 50%-ish rapids in cobot mode.

Ox is right about a light curtain being prone to a lot of false trips.

And David is right about the existing fence being a lot closer if the panels were removable.

How about just building a small cage out of the 80/20 extrusion stuff, just outside of the robot's travel ranges? With a removable section to access the machine table of course...

A smallish robot like that has a limited XYZ cube it can operate in...fence that cube in, and call it a day!

I would run the robot on reduced rapids either way. Unless you have stupid-fast cycle times (and then you're in Brother/HMC territory), for the typical VMC processing times, the bot should be done and waiting on the machine each cycle, so bot rapids would be irrelevant here.

However, reduced robot rapids would add a few seconds to the actual load/unload process. It would depend on the part cycle time, quantities, etc. as to whether the additional time would matter

For a job running unattended, the number one goal has to be process reliability, not absolute cycle time, eh??

Be nice to have a little "window" in the cage there, where you could slide the window open, snag finished parts and replace with blanks, while Wall-e is setting there waiting on the VMC...

ToolCat

Last edited:

Back