What's new
What's new

New Machine Day

I am in the SF Bay Area. My machine came with a grease pack installed, but the ATC gearbox and spindle oil reservoirs are shipped empty on purpose.
Oh ok, can I purchase the oils for them from Ellison? I haven’t been able to get a straight answer from my local Ellison dealer on what oils I need/ if I need them at all. Thanks!

I bought the ATC gearbox oil in 2 @ 1-gallon jugs from MSC via eBay. I bought the spindle oil from McMaster in a 5-gallon bucket. I wish I did not have to buy so much, but I could not find it sold by the gallon. The lubes are listed in the installation manual. Ellison sent me a PDF of that manual ahead of machine delivery.

I bought the ATC gearbox oil in 2 @ 1-gallon jugs from MSC via eBay. I bought the spindle oil from McMaster in a 5-gallon bucket. I wish I did not have to buy so much, but I could not find it sold by the gallon. The lubes are listed in the installation manual. Ellison sent me a PDF of that manual ahead of machine delivery.
Oh ok, yeah they sent me the pdf, I looked over the oil selection and wasn’t sure which one was best. I saw they listed one from Mobil, one from shell, etc. I’ll check in with my local distributor on it. Thanks for the help!

@Miller846 @rklopp Would either one of you guys be able to email me that PDF please? I live in a place that no one services, so I will probably have to order in the lubricants as precious little is stocked here. I can PM you my email address.

I have a screenshot of the cross references, but you will need to figure out what your machine needs.

I did not think the 10.4" screen Fanuc Oi-MF Plus that I got came with EZ Guide i.
I just checked, that machine does NOT come with EZ-Guide. It has no EOP so that means no RenGUI for probing either. You would need to use the installed set of macros for Inspection Plus and the tool setting macros. This will eat into yor "HUGE" 512K of memory. This can be upgraded to 2Meg max memory though. You can use M198 to run programs from a card.

Unfortunately, hand code at the control was really the best way to run Dialog. Hand code via offline computer and then upload was tough because Dialog was not at all forgiving of even the tiniest syntax error. An error often froze the control and necessitated a hard reset. And, as I said, CAM code was too bloated and it choked the control. Undoubtedly a better post would have helped. The Dialog look-ahead might as well have been look-behind 😩.
I disagree! Have been running a D4 on my FP4NC since 93’
No argument on t it being slow, but have been running off control created programs since 95’( SurfCam) and it has been drop dead reliable.
I run almost everything off control and transfer it to the box. Works great, No syntax errors, no faults it just works.
Post works well, and SurfCam gives option to post as vertical or horizontal code.
You have to follow some code tribe transfer rules:
Keep the cable (CAT6) short and clean
I run 8 data bits, no parity
And most important, 2400 baud.

Cheers Ross

Ellison just postponed final install by two days. I had to prompt them the day before the originally scheduled installation date, because I heard no word from them confirming, which they said they would. I hope that's the end of delays. In any event, Ellison also doesn't get final payment until installation is done, so they should have some incentive.

Last edited:
Ellison just postponed final install by two days. I had to prompted them the day before the originally scheduled installation date, because I heard no word from them confirming, which they said they would. I hope that's the end of delays. In any event, Ellison also doesn't get final payment until installation is done, so they should have some incentive.
I made the mistake of sending them the final check assuming they were a reasonable company to work with.

Have you done your machine training yet? I guess that's another two days.

I made the mistake of sending them the final check assuming they were a reasonable company to work with.

Have you done your machine training yet? I guess that's another two days.
Oof on payment. I have not done the training. I don't even know what it is supposed to entail. Thankfully, I have set up and run Deckel Dialog 4 and Haas pre-NGC CNC mills, so I am not totally in the dark. Did you see the training was 2 days in some document?

Crap, the fitting on my Doosan is a 3/8" BSPT not 1/2". I can next day the part from McMaster but it's going to arrive at 10:30. @rklopp do you remember when Ellison showed up? I'm wondering if the tech is going to be spending time leveling the machine and doing other stuff until the fitting shows up. Trying to figure out if I need to cancel. Or, if there's anywhere I can source the fitting locally.

You're lucky. Ellison just punted me to next Tuesday for the installation. They are not building a great reputation with me. I should not have to ask them on Wednesday at 5 PM whether they are showing up the next day, after them telling me they'd confirm the appointment, which never happened. If they are under-staffed or whatever, I might be accepting, but at least keep me informed. Funny how they were so hot to trot to get paid. At least I am still holding some leverage. Are Selway, Morris, Methods, or Gosiger like this?

You're lucky. Ellison just punted me to next Tuesday for the installation. They are not building a great reputation with me. I should not have to ask them on Wednesday at 5 PM whether they are showing up the next day, after them telling me they'd confirm the appointment, which never happened. If they are under-staffed or whatever, I might be accepting, but at least keep me informed. Funny how they were so hot to trot to get paid. At least I am still holding some leverage. Are Selway, Morris, Methods, or Gosiger like this?

Yikes, maybe I should just keep my mouth shut. I'm just worried they'll try to bill me for another appointment. Agree regarding the communication. Not a peep.

Juan from Ellison finally came by today and got the DEM 4000 running. It is very sweet, but the Fanuc control will take some getting used to. The PT-330 10-hp Phase Perfect and California Air Tools 10 cfm compressor had no problems keeping up with fairly heavy cutting. I set up a ASME B5.54 circle-diamond-square test piece, and it ran well until I hit some kind of G41 alarm upon reaching the finish passes. Dang! I ran out of time to resolve it before having to run off to a meeting.

One necessary improvement will be to add a second coolant nozzle. The one nozzle is just not enough, especially when tools have significantly different lengths. Another is that the left-right tram was a bit higher than what the spec sheet said. The machine was quite cold, and I should re-check the level, before concluding there's a problem.

Juan from Ellison finally came by today and got the DEM 4000 running. It is very sweet, but the Fanuc control will take some getting used to. The PT-330 10-hp Phase Perfect and California Air Tools 10 cfm compressor had no problems keeping up with fairly heavy cutting. I set up a ASME B5.54 circle-diamond-square test piece, and it ran well until I hit some kind of G41 alarm upon reaching the finish passes. Dang! I ran out of time to resolve it before having to run off to a meeting.

One necessary improvement will be to add a second coolant nozzle. The one nozzle is just not enough, especially when tools have significantly different lengths. Another is that the left-right tram was a bit higher than what the spec sheet said. The machine was quite cold, and I should re-check the level, before concluding there's a problem.
Awesome! What kind of surface finish/accuracy are you getting? I have heard somebody else mention that the coolant flow is way underpowered. I may end up doing something with that in the future on mine. I am still waiting on a transformer to arrive as my incoming voltage is 250V and was told it was way too high and needed a transformer. Hopefully the machine serves us both well!

Awesome! What kind of surface finish/accuracy are you getting? I have heard somebody else mention that the coolant flow is way underpowered. I may end up doing something with that in the future on mine. I am still waiting on a transformer to arrive as my incoming voltage is 250V and was told it was way too high and needed a transformer. Hopefully the machine serves us both well!
Finish is excellent. I am not able to assess accuracy yet, since the ASME test died ahead of the finish passes.

Back