What's new
What's new

New Machine Day

No probe. I have a Haimer mechanical probe as tool 20. The machine came with the Renishaw receiver and macros installed.
Gotch ya, I got the probe but heard it was macros only so I was curious if you had messed with that at all. My local sales rep sent me a renishaw app where I tell it what I want to probe and it spits out the appropriate line of code.

Oh no, and now my new compressor blew a hose at the end of the first full day of use! Lucky for me (NOT!) it happened when my wife came out to the shop to see the new mill. It sounded like a gunshot. It’s a braided metal hose. Maybe a cheap-o sink connector? I hope not.

Gotch ya, I got the probe but heard it was macros only so I was curious if you had messed with that at all. My local sales rep sent me a renishaw app where I tell it what I want to probe and it spits out the appropriate line of code.
Those apps are priceless and available online. I use them a lot.

Once you're set up I would love to come check out your machine. You're welcome to swing by if you're in the SJ area.

Once you're set up I would love to come check out your machine. You're welcome to swing by if you're in the SJ area.
I’m in San Diego/Riverside area. If you’re ever near by, you’re more than welcome to swing by and check it out!

I am supposed to get my air compressor's warranty repair hose tomorrow, which will get my DEM 4000 back up and running. I am not impressed by California Air Tools responsiveness. They should have overnighted me the part instead of printing the shipping label and letting it sit for a couple days. This is an instance where package tracking is very useful :-). If I had known I was going to be down this long, I would have bought parts from McMaster and fixed the thing myself. (The hose that blew has metric compression fittings on the ends, so not something available at HD or Ace.)

I am supposed to get my air compressor's warranty repair hose tomorrow, which will get my DEM 4000 back up and running. I am not impressed by California Air Tools responsiveness. They should have overnighted me the part instead of printing the shipping label and letting it sit for a couple days. This is an instance where package tracking is very useful :-). If I had known I was going to be down this long, I would have bought parts from McMaster and fixed the thing myself. (The hose that blew has metric compression fittings on the ends, so not something available at HD or Ace.)
I bet it will be nice to get it going! I am going to run out the first test part on mine today! I’m very curious how it cuts. I’ve been messing around with the fanuc control the past few days and so far it doesn’t seem to bad, just a little different button layout but not a massive change from haas. I am still waiting on an applications guy to come out and do the training and calibrate the probe so it will be manual tool setting for today. Hopefully you receive the air hose and everything goes smoothly! It’s never fun having a machine down, especially a brand new one!

@Miller846 We are all curious how it cuts and performs too!!! Hope it goes well with no hick-ups.
I ran out the first batch of parts today. Alls I can say is I couldn’t be happier with the machine. Makes beautiful parts and runs without hiccup. Fanuc control is easy to learn (coming from haas), auger works great, surface finish and rigidity are awesome. I really don’t have any complaints about it so far. It’s the same speed as my super mini although it does have faster tool changes. Runs extremely smooth. The only thing I’m going to do is add a few more coolant nozzles. Other than that it’s had a very good first day and first impression!

I finally got my compressor back together and finished the ASME Circle Diamond Square test piece tonight. I have not had a chance to inspect it yet, but it certainly looks great. I am still getting used to the not-exactly-intuitive file management menus involved in copying a program from a USB stick to machine memory. Even Haas pre-NGC is much better in that part of the user interface department.

I added a Y Snap-Loc fitting to the coolant line so I could add a second nozzle. That made a big difference in getting coolant where it was needed. I'd be curious to hear DN's rationale for providing a too-basic single coolant nozzle.

I am also curious to know what logic triggers the chip auger. It might be a G01, but I thought I had at least one G01 last night that did not start the conveyor. I'd prefer the chip auger not run during my warmup program, so I guess I have to toss an M25 after every G01 to stop the conveyor. On that topic, where can I find a list of all M-codes? I searched the DN and Fanuc manuals, and could not find one (not that I'd expect Fanuc to have such a list, since it varies with the MTB).

On edit, the ASME test sample checks out to within about ±0.0001 for roundness and location of the round features to the best of my ability to measure using my Aciera F4 with Acu-rite 5 µm DRO and tenths indicator. I am not proud of the engraving - my chamfer mill makes a lousy engraver. I could not find an unbroken split point engraver in my collection.
IMG_6496.jpg

Last edited:
I finally got my compressor back together and finished the ASME Circle Diamond Square test piece tonight. I have not had a chance to inspect it yet, but it certainly looks great. I am still getting used to the not-exactly-intuitive file management menus involved in copying a program from a USB stick to machine memory. Even Haas pre-NGC is much better in that part of the user interface department.

I added a Y Snap-Loc fitting to the coolant line so I could add a second nozzle. That made a big difference in getting coolant where it was needed. I'd be curious to hear DN's rationale for providing a too-basic single coolant nozzle.

I am also curious to know what logic triggers the chip auger. It might be a G01, but I thought I had at least one G01 last night that did not start the conveyor. I'd prefer the chip auger not run during my warmup program, so I guess I have to toss an M25 after every G01 to stop the conveyor. On that topic, where can I find a list of all M-codes? I searched the DN and Fanuc manuals, and could not find one (not that I'd expect Fanuc to have such a list, since it varies with the MTB).

On edit, the ASME test sample checks out to within about ±0.0001 for roundness and location of the round features to the best of my ability to measure using my Aciera F4 with Acu-rite 5 µm DRO and tenths indicator. I am not proud of the engraving - my chamfer mill makes a lousy engraver. I could not find an unbroken split point engraver in my collection.
If you press the cust

View attachment 387531
There should be a keep relay that controls the chip auger. It will be in the blue binder in the electrical cabinet drawer. You can turn it off and on manually then.
I'm not sure about the DEM but there is usually an M-Code list on the control. If you press the CUSTOM 1 hard key under the screen, you should see a button then for the M-Codes.
Very nice part by the way and I am glad you like the machine so far. I am not happy with some of the things they did away with but this is what the DEM was targeted as. Education/training. But if people can make good use of this for actually making parts, well, who am I to argue.

Paul

View attachment 387531
Beautiful part! Hopefully you are just as happy as I am with this machine! In the future I see a new DNM replacing my haas haha

There should be a keep relay that controls the chip auger. It will be in the blue binder in the electrical cabinet drawer. You can turn it off and on manually then.
I'm not sure about the DEM but there is usually an M-Code list on the control. If you press the CUSTOM 1 hard key under the screen, you should see a button then for the M-Codes.
Very nice part by the way and I am glad you like the machine so far. I am not happy with some of the things they did away with but this is what the DEM was targeted as. Education/training. But if people can make good use of this for actually making parts, well, who am I to argue.

Paul
Thanks Paul. I only tried the Custom/Graphics button to try to back plot some code and got a custom DN screen that I did not expect, and I went no further. I will check that out to see if there's an M-code list in there or a way to back-plot.

Here's what shows on the first press of the Custom/Graph button. The buttons only show this window and a machine info window, and nothing else. Mostly the lights are on but nobody's home as far as I can tell. I don't see an M-code list. Also, inserting M25 into my spindle warmup did not turn off the auger. What am I missing?
23021800.jpg

At our office we had the DEM that ended up at IMTS and we couldn't figure out a way to get anything useful populated in the EOP page either.

Check keep relay 4.4 for the auger. That's what it is on the SVM we have on our showroom floor and it doesn't even have an auger.

The machine specs say EOP is not available on the DEM 4000 even as an option, so the screen that pops up is just a tease.

So that gets me back to wanting an M-code list.

Last edited:
I know this thread is a few weeks old now, but I wanted to give a 150hr update on the DEM. We have just crossed the 150 hr mark and still couldn’t be happier with this machine. It holds tight tolerances all day long, and produces beautiful finishes. Not one hiccup, no alarms, no issues, it just runs and runs. The only minor con I noticed is there was a fine coolant mist stream coming out of the door jam at the bottom. I fixed this with a 10 dollar rubber weather strip from Home Depot and the door completely seals when shut now. If that’s the only thing that I had to worry about or “fix” I’m a very happy camper. It is a beautiful machine and I will definitely be buying more DN machines as we grow.

I am happy, too. I have not noticed the coolant mist stream, but I am not anywhere near 150 hours, either. I finally mounted my Orange vise last night after having run an ASME test part in an old Kurt D60 that already had TalonGrip jaws installed, and thin parts on a scrap sub-plate.

I am happy, too. I have not noticed the coolant mist stream, but I am not anywhere near 150 hours, either. I finally mounted my Orange vise last night after having run an ASME test part in an old Kurt D60 that already had TalonGrip jaws installed, and thin parts on a scrap sub-plate.
Awesome! I’d love to get a hold of a few orange vices in the future! I think the little coolant leak is isolated to my machine. It did it from day one and it was caused because the door “sagged” just enough to where it was sealed at the top and had maybe an 1/8” gap down towards the bottom. Nothing major, just needed to fill the gap and the gasket/weather strip did the trick perfectly. I’m glad you are happy with yours as well!

Back