What's new
What's new

New machine feedback

ozbob

Plastic
Hi, I am considering buy a Doosan DNM6700 machining centre to replace my Hitachi VS50. I would like to hear the good and bad from anyone who has one regarding reliability etc. It is fitted with a Fanuc I series Oi-MF plus control and does not have any probing for workpiece of tool setup (its optional). Is it easy to set workpiece coordinates, say for the centre of a bore or the middle of a rectangular workpiece using a taster with this control. What are your thought on the Ezi Guide conversational software?

Thanks

Billy_C

Aluminum
Does your Hitachi have probes? If so you are going to really miss having them. Manual work is manual work. Setting wcs is not much different from any machine in that once you know exactly what buttons to push, the process of dialing it in is still time consuming.

ozbob

Plastic
I bought the Hitachi at auction and it didn't come with the spindle probe but is set up for one. I have just been using a taster and z height setter. I ran a fine grounding wire between the taster tip and the tool holder, when you touch off on the workpiece it sends a signal through to the control.

What I will miss (if the Doosan dosnt do it) is the ability to find centres of bores and middle points of parts with a couple of touch offs and a button press.

I have run machines with probes and yes they are very good but I am still deciding if it's worth the extra $11400 that I was quoted.
Thanks for the reply

Hebrewhammer8

Aluminum
Yes. It is worth it. From the ability to eliminate setup error to using the probe in process to check things the probe is amazing as long as you keep it all dialed in.

As the saying goes, penny wise, pound foolish...

ozbob

Plastic
Yes. It is worth it. From the ability to eliminate setup error to using the probe in process to check things the probe is amazing as long as you keep it all dialed in.

As the saying goes, penny wise, pound foolish...
Thanks, that's something I will have to think about. Any feedback on the machine itself?

Alloy Mcgraw

Titanium
I realize this has nothing to do with your question. But figured it might be helpful.

This week had a new machine quoted (Not Doosan, but a machine in the same class). I have 2 of the same machine I bought new over the last few years.

Pricing was currently up 30%+ for the exact same machine with less options then the 2 I have.

I said No Way Jose (Is that phrase still allowed these days?).

My opinion was I will hold on new purchases until the economy starts to make some sense. That is of course unless I absolutely needed the machine.

Reactions: Ox