What's new
What's new

New Machine, New Problems.... Spindle Error Codes

LOTT

Stainless
We just got a 2011 Miyano BNA-42S. Seems to be in very good shape, got it all hooked up and we're getting error codes for both spindles.

20230323_093902.jpg

Any ideas what this might be before we call a tech out? Control is Fanuc 0i-TD.

Thanks.

Start with checking the connections on the spindle amps and everything in the electrical cabinet. Both of those spindles having the same code after being moved would suggest to me that someone unplugged something while preparing it for transport.

Start with checking the connections on the spindle amps and everything in the electrical cabinet. Both of those spindles having the same code after being moved would suggest to me that someone unplugged something while preparing it for transport.
That would make sense, but I'm not seeing anything loose.

From the fanuc alarm app:

SP1220

No spindle amplifier

"Either the cable connected to a serial spindle amplifier is broken, or the serial spindle amplifier is not connected"

Any alarm code on the spindle amp(s) themselves?

From the fanuc alarm app:

SP1220

No spindle amplifier

"Either the cable connected to a serial spindle amplifier is broken, or the serial spindle amplifier is not connected"

Any alarm code on the spindle amp(s) themselves?
The left one says "-24", the right one says "-A". Thanks for the pointer to the alarm app, didn't know that was a thing.

And @marccongdon, I found two wires disconnected and taped up, Y24A and Y24C. I'm digging though the diagram to find those, and will try to get ahold of the tech that prepped it.

Update- those two wires go to the main contactor, which explains the problem. Now I'm just checking with the tech to find out why he disconnected it in the first place. This was wrong, and the prepping tech didn't disconnect these wires.

Last edited:
Update- those two wires go to the main contactor, which explains the problem. Now I'm just checking with the tech to find out why he disconnected it in the first place.
Good call, I've blown a lot of fuses just plugging shit back in when it was disconnected for a reason.

Well, the tech didn't know anything and said he didn't mess with those wires, so I rolled the dice and reconnected them. No change.

Guess we'll finally get to find out how painful it is to call a service tech, first time in ten years of business...

If you have the electrical diagrams it might be worth poking around to make sure voltage is present and within range everywhere. The actual messages that would be expected from something like a control circuit fault are only as good as the machine builder made them. I doubt this is the problem but a quick check couldn’t hurt. Seems reasonable to believe if the same alarm has popped up for both spindles, something else is going on. Are there any machine specific messages?

If you have the electrical diagrams it might be worth poking around to make sure voltage is present and within range everywhere. The actual messages that would be expected from something like a control circuit fault are only as good as the machine builder made them. I doubt this is the problem but a quick check couldn’t hurt. Seems reasonable to believe if the same alarm has popped up for both spindles, something else is going on. Are there any machine specific messages?
There is not voltage present everywhere, the KMCC1 contactor is off, which means that the two transformer looking items, RACL21 and RACL22, aren't getting power. Which probably explains the codes, I just don't know how to fix it.

20230324_101856.jpg

Is phase correct? Could it be that the hydro pump is kicking out KMCC1 from no pressure?
We switched two lines to check that. That said, when we first fired up the machine we were dealing with the transference detection, so it might have kicked out KMCC1 while that was happening. Is there something that has to be reset?

Also, KMCC1 is getting power on BOTH of the activating lines coming in, MCC and L22. And they are apparently the same phase, I don't get voltage reading across them.

Update- The SP1999 SPINDLE CONTROL ERROR on main and sub are gone. Might be a coincidence, but I had not hooked up the bar feeder yet, and after connecting it those alarms went away. I'm wondering if the bar feeder being gone left it's emergency stop circuit open?? Either way we're two thirds of the way there (sort of). KMCC1 is now on and the hydraulics are running.

It still has the SP1220 (S2) NO SPINDLE AMP, any suggestion on where to look next?

Update- The SP1999 SPINDLE CONTROL ERROR on main and sub are gone. Might be a coincidence, but I had not hooked up the bar feeder yet, and after connecting it those alarms went away. I'm wondering if the bar feeder being gone left it's emergency stop circuit open?? Either way we're two thirds of the way there (sort of). KMCC1 is now on and the hydraulics are running.

It still has the SP1220 (S2) NO SPINDLE AMP, any suggestion on where to look next?
Well, the tech didn't know anything and said he didn't mess with those wires, so I rolled the dice and reconnected them. No change.

Guess we'll finally get to find out how painful it is to call a service tech, first time in ten years of business...
Try disconnecting these?

Still have alarms on a spindle drive?

Alarm Code 24
The power to the CNC is turned off. (This symptom does not represent an
error.) Serial communication data transferred between the CNC and
spindle amplifier module contains an error. Troubleshooting when this
alarm is issued
(a)Noise occurring between the CNC and spindle amplifier module
(connected via an electric cable) caused an error in communication
data. Check the condition for maximum wiring length. Referring to
"Connection," in "FANUC SERVO AMPLIFIER i series
Descriptions (B-65282EN)," check the condition of electric cable
connection.
(b)Noise exercises an influence because a communication cable is
bundled with the power lead. If a communication cable is bundled
with the power lead for the motor, separate them from each other.
(c)A cable is faulty. Replace the cable. If an optical I/O link adapter
is used, the optical link adapter or optical cable may be faulty.
(d)The SPM is faulty. Replace the SPM or SPM control printed
circuit board.
(e)The CNC is faulty. Replace the board or module related to the
serial spindle.

Alarm Codes A, A1, and A2
The control program is not running. An error was detected when the
control program was running.
(1) If this alarm is issued when the spindle amplifier power is
switched on
(a)Wrong software specification
(b)Defective printed-circuit board Replace the SPM or SPM
control printed-circuit board.
(2) If this alarm is issued when the motor is active.
(a)Influence by noise Referring to "Installation" in "FANUC
SERVO AMPLIFIER i series Descriptions (B-65282EN),"
check the grounding wire. If the spindle sensor signal wire is
bundled together with any motor power wire, separate them.

Which drive is related to the spindle that you have an alarm on (s2) ?

There is not voltage present everywhere, the KMCC1 contactor is off, which means that the two transformer looking items, RACL21 and RACL22, aren't getting power.
I guess not "everywhere" but at least all the paces it should be based on the diagrams. Sounds like you might be on to something hooking up all the components of the machine first. I assumed that was already done. It's hard to say where all the power is routed and what checks and balances are happening before the servos can be armed. Again, any messages? 1679692803934.png

I guess not "everywhere" but at least all the paces it should be based on the diagrams. Sounds like you might be on to something hooking up all the components of the machine first. I assumed that was already done. It's hard to say where all the power is routed and what checks and balances are happening before the servos can be armed. Again, any messages? View attachment 391055
As far as I can tell there is power where it should be. The lathe this one replaced also had a bar feeder that we never used, took awhile to occur to me that it could be contributing to the problem here.

On the messages tab it shows the bar feeder has an error, something is out of place, but that doesn't show up on the Alarm tab.

Alright, still fighting with it. I talked to one of the Miyano distributor tech's, and he said it was almost certainly a connection that had come loose in transit. They are on the far side of the state and busy, so it will be a minute before anyone could come. At this point I have checked and rechecked every connection I can find in this thing.

The bar feeder was stuck in a spot where it didn't want to move, so we talked to LNS and got that sorted out. As far as I can tell the bar feeder is happy now, but we're still getting an alarm message for it, in addition to the "No Spindle Amp" alarm. Ideas?

Anyone know an independent FANUC tech in Eastern NC? While we generally like being in the country it's a pain when you need help (not just for this, pretty much any CNC make or model).

20230328_130707.jpg20230328_130718.jpg

you are missing the 24V somewhere from the power supply, happens all the time when machines get moved due to vibrations loostening things, could be a wire from the power supply or could be just the spindle amp.
95% of the time, something in the PSU dies. there are test ports to test and make sure in the cabinet the power is 5Vdc 24V dc and some have + - 15Vdc
without power it won't allow communication and nothing will start as that is part of the boot loop of the drives that close the main contactors to power everything.

Back