What's new
What's new

New member and new to me machine B&S 2L surface ginder

Fcsteve777

Plastic
Howdy,
I'm new to the forum but have some home shop experience with a Webb Champ mill and Logan 14 inch lathe.
Abrasive machining is new to me and i recently picked up a B7S 2L surface grinder at auction, Primarily because it used to belong to my company Fairbanks Morse before the ship i got it from had it.
Grinder.jpg

The paint looks like crap but it looks to have been cared for otherwise. Powering it up after a cleanup will tell for sure, I would like to clean it up and see how it runs before i decide to get into it too far.

Someone at some point decided it needed a larger wheel than originally supplied with but i plan to put it back to its original configuration.

Homebrewblob

Stainless
Welcome to the forums! Have you read some stickys?
Your first post is great, good title, good description and even loaded a pic of the machine in question.

Keep us updated and as always pictures are our local currency!
I wish I had a surface grinder myself but the garage is rather packed now a days.

You got pictures of your other machines?

Also just a heads up, if you use a computer and load your pictures to an album and then copy and paste the “BB code” you’ll be able to load FULL size pictures and as many as you like (loading pictures the way you just did it will cap you at 5 pics a post)

Have fun, ask questions and if you have the ability, try an answer some to.

Here’s a “BB code” picture for comparison
attachment.php

Fcsteve777

Plastic
Thanks for the welcome,
I didn't read any of the stickies but probably should. I didn't see a lounge so i figured this was a decent spot, I'm just trying to use some etiquette and provide sufficent information in my post. Its something that I struggle with when talking to customer's at work so i try to not fall into the same habits.

I will probably just get set back up on something to do embedded pictures so im not uploading junk all the time.

Here are the mill and lathe when we first got them (Split costs with a friend) and before cleanup.

Cheers!

Attachments

• 20170411_163358.jpg
    20170411_163358.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 11
  • 20170423_151608.jpg
    20170423_151608.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 10

dgfoster

Diamond
Also just a heads up, if you use a computer and load your pictures to an album and then copy and paste the “BB code” you’ll be able to load FULL size pictures and as many as you like (loading pictures the way you just did it will cap you at 5 pics a post)

Have fun, ask questions and if you have the ability, try an answer some to.

Here’s a “BB code” picture for comparison

Homebrew, Your instructons are good for optimizing photoquality and quantitiy in forum posts. The rub is that the image is not truly uploaded to the PM site. I continue to be frustrated by the Photobucket debacle of a couple years ago that has effectively rendered useless thousands of posts and some really really good threads here on PM. I worry that the hosting services like Imgur and Tinypic may do just what Photobucket did and try to extort money from PM resulting in yet another collapse of countless threads.

The best method for using images actually uploaded to the PM site involves loading your image to a folder on your own computer. Clicking on the image icon at the header of the form used to post new threads or replies to threads and following the prompts. Unfortunately, this limits 5 images per response, though, if needed, two or more responses can be used to load more images. The loaded image will at first appear as a thumbnail in the response, but if, prior to posting, you double click the thumbnail a splash screen will open that offers options for image size. Select "Full Size" and a pretty decent image results. And that image will be available as long as PM is available. Here is an example using this posting method of a Delrin part I just made:
Pattern13.jpgPattern14.jpg

FWIW,
Denis

Fcsteve777

Plastic
Amen on photobucket. I was heavily involved in Rx7s earlier in my life and that forum like many others was destroyed by that. I just set up Flickr for embedding.