What's new
What's new

New Member looking for Info on Van Norman No. 2 Duplex Milling Machine

Ian123

Plastic
Hi Everybody

My name is Ian McGee and I'm from Montreal, Canada. I just joined this forum because I'm searching for information on a Van Norman No. 2 Duplex milling machine and I found a couple of old threads here from people who own them.

I'm looking for any information, pictures, or manuals I can get for one of these machines. I found one for sale at virtually scrap-metal price. But it's been taken apart, and it's quite a long distance away too. So before I decide to buy or not I'd like to try to figure out if all (or most!) of the parts are there and if it's worth the trip. I do understand that any missing or damaged parts on a machine this old might make it un-restorable. Also, I'm doing this as a hobby, so I don't want to buy a machine that will just turn into a money pit.

If anyone can post or send me some pictures or maybe a scan of an instruction manual I'd be very grateful. I've found several Van Norman manuals online, but nothing for the No. 2. My impression is that the No. 2 was built in the 1920's or 30's. Would this be right? The online manuals I've found are all for newer machines.

Thanks for your help!
Ian

Might be as early as 1900. Not much info, and absolutely no parts, for that generation of VN mills. There certainly are some smaller examples of that vintage around, but a #2 duplex is on the rare side of antique, without any particular monetary or collectable premium.

Hi Bill,

Thanks for answering here too. I wasn't expecting the same guy to pop up on two different forums. The machine I'm looking at seems to be identical to the pictures you posted in Smokstak. The pictures of it that I have are not that great. I'm still waiting to hear back from the seller anyway, but it's looking more and more like I'll pass it up. I'm a bit disappointed in a way. I would have enjoyed the restoration work, and it seemed like I might end up with a good, solid machine for less money than I normally would have paid. I just wish I could tell if it's complete without a 9 hour drive!

There is a group of people at the following site that have Van Norman machines.
There are even photos in their photo section showing what a #2 looks like. If you join that group and manage to post some photos either there or here. I am sure people would be able to help you decide how complete it is. I own a VN#10 and it works reasonably well as long as you realize it's limitations. Big thing is that their top speed is quite slow.
Harold

Ian,
One point regarding the date of manufacture. Van Norman sold their early machines as the Waltham Watch Tool Company until around 1912, when they moved to Springfield and changed the name to Van Norman.

The museum at Tuckahoe Steam & Gas Association recently received a Van Norman #2 as a donation. If you need pictures of anything in particular, let me know.

Jeff

Hi guys,

Thanks for all the great help. I managed to find a couple of pics and a YouTube video of a No. 2, and unfortunately, I've come to the conclusion that there may be too much missing on this one to be worth going after. I hesitate to post the pictures from the ad, since I don't have permission, but it looks like a lot of the shafts and gears for driving the head are gone. I haven't reached the seller yet, so I still have hope that he may have more of it, but who knows? Since it's a holiday here this weekend I'm not going to try too hard to reach him till Tuesday.

Harold, thanks for the link to the Yahoo group. I'll join and see what I can find.

Jeff G, regarding your comment about the dates... This one has Van Norman clearly cast into a door on the base, so it must be later than 1912. And thanks for your offer of pictures. If you already have some pics then yes, I'd love to see them. But please don't waste your time taking any specially for me.
I may ask for some later, but first let me get in touch with the seller to see if he has more parts than he shows in his ad. As I said, I've come to the conclusion that there are parts of it missing.
Thanks, best wishes, Ian

Pictures of the Tuckahoe VN #2

Some "file" pictures

Attachments

• cVN2 Front.jpg
    cVN2 Front.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 108
  • cVN2 Head.jpg
    cVN2 Head.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 79
  • cVN2 Knee.jpg
    cVN2 Knee.jpg