What's new
What's new

New Monarch ownership

lilbub

Plastic
Good morning guys. I'm new here and this is my first post. I've been here sneaking around, stealing info off and on though. You guys have helped a lot. For the record, I'm not a machinist. I'm a home welder/fabricator, working on my race cars, etc, that uses machinist tools. Like many, I love tools and I really love, cool, old tools, that are built well.

So anyways, I just became the proud owner of a 1947, 10EE. I finally had the opportunity to unload the beast and get it placed in its new home yesterday. She seams really happy, next the 1967, Variable belt Bridgeport. The 10ee is a MG model that has been rewound to 220v 3 phase. The rest is original, to my knowledge and works great. The gentleman that I purchased it from has had it service, regularly, for 5 years, with zero issues. I had the opportunity to test it before I brought it home. I have a 15hp rotary phase converter on its way. That will be here soon. Can't wait!!

I spent the day yesterday, stripping paint on the tail stock, crossslide, apron hand wheel and some small bits. It's coming along nicely!!! They had painted the whole machine at one time but never painted the tailstock or these other bits. The unit came from Rohr Aircraft Corp and the had the unit painted peach with some yellow handles and wheels. When is was painted grey, they decided to not remove or mask, any knobs. That's all getting fixed though. BTW, it still has the brass, Rohr tag on it, which gives it nice character.

There are a couple parts I'd like to get at sometime but for the most part, it's a nice unit. One thing in particular is the compound. At some point in time, someone had sand blasted the dials and are unreadable. The compound looks original but operates a little odd. Doesn't seam as quality as the rest of the machine. Did the make chineses reproduction parts? With that said, I'd be interested in a compound with good dials, if anybody has one for sale.

I'll try to post some pics.
Thank you guys
Craig

Back