What's new
What's new

New/Old-Iron day: Ames Triplex multi-machine

20200204_022345.jpg
20200204_022357.jpg
20200204_022409.jpg
20200204_022420.jpg
Here's some other shots of the head. You can see the new head clamping plate in one photo.

I have a confession as well...

I've decided to sell the Triplex. I already have a buyer that I feel will take care of the machine. It's really clever and fun to work with, but it's limited range of motion does suck some utility out of it. I know I'll likely regret the sale, but I'm short on time and space and all that bit and have lots of other machines that are vying for my attention.

In the mean-time, now is your chance to pester me for photo's, dimensions, video, and anything else you would like to have documented before I get it boxed up and on the road.

You can only sell it if the buyer is a member or becomes a member and we can keep track of it!

20200211_181323.jpg

Also, here's a 2AM center I finished today. Since my machine still had the original driving plate, I wanted to make a center to go with it and complete the set-up (minus the drive dog, but IMO those tend to be job specific and can still be found).
20200211_190335.jpg

Very cool! I feel like I've seen that one before in a video or on another site. Is it an old Navy machine, per the brass tag on the base?

I can tell you that my old draw bar was an odd .622-24 thread. It's not a long bolt like on other mills, but a wheel type collet closer with an ID thread (tools have OD threads to match), since it would also be used for holding stock when turning. Do you have a 2AM collet or other tool to reference? With one and your spindle you can figure all the necessary dimensions. If you need to make your own 2AM tools, PM me your email and I'll send you the print I drew. Keep an eye out for existing tools, but IMO the only places they seem to exist anymore is with Triplex machines, because to my knowledge no other machines used the system. Even other Ames lathes only used 1AM or 3AM. I don't know if there is another collet or tool system that would be easy to adapt to the machine. The spindle has an 11 degree taper.

They're fun machines! I wish I had kept mine in the corner, but space/funds/finances have their way, and it made room for the next fun project.

Last edited:
Very cool! I feel like I've seen that one before in a video or on another site. Is it an old Navy machine, per the brass tag on the base?

I can tell you that my old draw bar was an odd .622-24 thread. It's not a long bolt like on other mills, but a wheel type collet closer with an ID thread (tools have OD threads to match), since it would also be used for holding stock when turning. Do you have a 2AM collet or other tool to reference? With one and your spindle you can figure all the necessary dimensions. If you need to make your own 2AM tools, PM me your email and I'll send you the print I drew. Keep an eye out for existing tools, but IMO the only places they seem to exist anymore is with Triplex machines, because to my knowledge no other machines used the system. Even other Ames lathes only used 1AM or 3AM. I don't know if there is another collet or tool system that would be easy to adapt to the machine. The spindle has an 11 degree taper.

They're fun machines! I wish I had kept mine in the corner, but space/funds/finances have their way, and it made room for the next fun project.
Mine has a B&S#7 taper and I have been able to find collets. I would love to find more tooling. My email is [email protected] Thanks for your reply.

Oh no, looking for this tooling. I do not have it, but would like to.
Ah, sorry. I'm no help there.

I had thought about making a set for my machine. I think Hardinge and some other lathe makers had a similar system that might be more common and could be adapted. Instead of 'generating' a thread as a lathe does with screws and gearing, the machine 'copies' the thread from the sleeve kinda like a pantograph. IMO it's about as simple a way to generate a thread, but you need a specific sleeve and follower for each thread pitch.

Back