What's new
What's new

New shop considering NX Cam.

...on a side note: i'm taking vacation for all of december, and since i'm the only one that knows how to program and run our 2 5 axis machines - i trained one of the engineers on NX and in 2 days he wrote a pretty decent 5 axis program. he does have previous NX experience, but only with CAD side. as well as previous CAM experience with fusion. so i think getting someone up to speed with NX cam shouldnt be too difficult if they're 'street smart' and are willing to learn.
Great to hear and well said. Non-NX users like to say that NX has a steep learning curve, and that was somewhat true in the past. Nowadays that's definitely not true. There has been a lot of development and refinement over the years, not to mention cad cam now varies wildly and it's quite apparent who actually did their homework. After taking MC classes and using it a couple versions ago, I can definitely say NX cam is easier to learn than MC. I found doing many of the same things in MC was unnecessarily complicated, not laid out well and overall not super refined. On the cad side I would agree NX has a steep curve but, at that level, there are really only two other cad competitors.

Hello All,

I have tried to do my due diligence and have scoured all threads containing NX Cam.

We are starting a new shop. One machine. Okuma Multus mill turn, dual spindle, sub-turret (probably with live tooling)
Have current product line from customer well suited to that machine. Parts are oil and gas components (relatively simple)

My native softwares are Solidworks and SolidCAM.

General goals:
- totally optimize starting product line to run lights out.
- branch into aerospace ( we have connection with a company) and obtain 5x Mill.
- AS9100 certification for new connections to aerospace/defense companies

General found NX consensus:
- powerful, top of class, amazing CAD, expensive, customizable, strong templates, big learning curve.
- main worry --- moving towards (?) or is now subscription based. Prices i have seen are very high if that is yearly cost.

Questions remaining from forum search:

1. Has anyone switched from SolidCAM to NX CAM and have any regrets about that choice?

2. Is it true that i-Machining can be purchased as a module and used within NX CAM, and if so, is NX adaptive milling strong enough to not need that additional purchase?

3. Is NX post processor open sourced enough to create user defined procedures and be referenced from main post? (SolidCAM is 100% open)

4. Assuming complicated aero and defense parts, does NX meet or exceed your expectations of value?

5. Have you found an exclusivity to owning NX CAM? As in, is your shop afforded opportunities to work with certain companies as opposed to a shop that uses SolidCAM/MC/Fusion, etc...

6. A reseller I spoke with said they may even be able to place me into contact with companies who are searching for shops using NX. Selling point or does this have known merit?

7. what in the world does "VAR" stand for? Verified application reseller?? I just could not find that answer.

Probably no one person can answer all the questions.
But if you do have info and could shed light on any of the questions, it would be helpful and appreciated.
Thanks All.
I have used both Solidworks and NX. I found the CAD side of NX very much like Solidworks and picked it up pretty quickly. Solidworks on steroids is how I explain it. I liked the CAM side too and it is also very powerful. I don't think you can go wrong with NX. Maybe ditch Solidworks altogether after you get comfortable with NX?

Another example:

The engineers at the place I work at LOVE doing asymmetrical tolerances (+0/-.003). Thank God my CAM is integrated into solidworks so I can quickly change the model to the midpoint of the tolerance band.

I really don't get why they like doing this. Maybe one day I will try to explain that I always aim for exactly the midpoint because then it gives me as much cushion as possible thus reducing scrap. I CANNOT and will not attempt to guess design intent based on how you set up the tolerances.
Amen! I realize there are certain circumstances where asymmetrical tolerancing is needed. I have had this conversation with many engineers that are using it to create in house fixturing for example. They either just don't get it or are enjoying making things more difficult/susceptible to mistakes for some reason.

Back