What's new
What's new

New Speed and Feed Calculator

ericspencer

Plastic
Hello friends,

I had been working hard over the past few months to distill all my knowledge into an online tool that will provide Speed, Feed, and Carbide Grades recommendations based on many factors.

Speed and Feed Calculator - FREE - Speeds & Feeds Calculator (20+ params!)

I hope you will find it useful.

I would really appreciate getting more feedback from the field about bugs and new features that you would like to see coming in the future.

Many Thanks,

Eric Spencer
Techincal Data for the Machining Industry - Machining Doctor

1) It's totally free. forever...
2) HSM-Advisor as its name suggests is focused on milling. This calculator gives proper attention also to Turning, Grooving, and Parting-Off.
3) It provides also Carbide Grades recommendations (Especialy important for turning applications).

Eric

Hi,
Works perfectly on Firefox on my end.
Can you please share a screenshot of the issue?
Is it on mobile or desktop?

Thanks,
Eric

This looks pretty good actually. I only checked the turning as I don't need any more milling data calculators.

The parameters for turning are good and the results are realistic, from what I checked.

The manufacturer specific grade recommendations seem about right, at least from the ones I am familiar with.

Documentation is very good, would have no problem showing this to an apprentice to use as a reference.

Using Vivaldi (chromium) here and all working fine.

The site as a whole is well laid out and looks to contain a lot of good information.

Thumbs up from me, and a bookmark. Good work OP!

I put a couple of our standard tools + material combinations for milling into it. The results are close to what we believe are optimized settings.

It ran fine on safari on an iPad but I did not exercise it hard. It is easy to use.

Nice job.

I just tried to check speeds and feeds for a job I already do and have data for.

Just a basic .300 drill in 1215 steel. It recommended 410 SFM. Must have meant this for a carbide drill?

It doesnt allow me to chose what type of drill I will be using. HSS, HSS-Co, Drill point recommendations would be a big help.

The parameters for turning are good and the results are realistic, from what I checked.

The manufacturer specific grade recommendations seem about right, at least from the ones I am familiar with.

The site as a whole is well laid out and looks to contain a lot of good information.

Thumbs up from me, and a bookmark. Good work OP!

Thank you for the feedback!

I just tried to check speeds and feeds for a job I already do and have data for.

Just a basic .300 drill in 1215 steel. It recommended 410 SFM. Must have meant this for a carbide drill?

It doesnt allow me to chose what type of drill I will be using. HSS, HSS-Co, Drill point recommendations would be a big help.

Thanks for your feedback!
The drilling section is the least developed until now but will get an overhaul soon. All the data is for coated carbide drills. But I took note to add the option to select HSS/Carbide for solid drilling and milling.

I put a couple of our standard tools + material combinations for milling into it. The results are close to what we believe are optimized settings.

Thanks for the feedback!
It means a lot to hear that "close to what we believe are optimized settings."

Thanks for the feedback!
It means a lot to hear that "close to what we believe are optimized settings."

Sometimes we do things the defy machinist chart
I face aluminum forgings 22" dia. at 800rpm
and .020 ipm with great results.
and tried settings from those calculator and don't work
those are for toolroom application, but in some industries
production is what counts, in mass produced cheap parts.

Sometimes we do things the defy machinist chart
I face aluminum forgings 22" dia. at 800rpm
and .020 ipm with great results.
and tried settings from those calculator and don't work
those are for toolroom application, but in some industries
production is what counts, in mass produced cheap parts.

800rpm at 22" diameter is just about 1400m/min surface speed, which is hardly unusual for alu...

.020" ipm though, I guess you are not in a hurry... I imagine you meant .020" ipt which is also pretty standard for rough facing.

I don't think you have a valid criticism...

I think that a lot of work and personal time went into this and the fact that you are willing to share your hard work with others at no cost is a testament to your character.
Thank you sir.

Back